Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Sees Progress On Variable Refresh Rate Setting, Adding Battery Charge Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Sees Progress On Variable Refresh Rate Setting, Adding Battery Charge Control

Phoronix: GNOME Sees Progress On Variable Refresh Rate Setting, Adding Battery Charge Control

There's been some new work pending for further enhancing the GNOME desktop when it comes around Variable Rate Refresh (VRR). Separately, there's new merge requests pending for adding laptop battery charge threshold controls from the GNOME UI...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

VRR, HDR, and network displays.
    Looking forward to Gnome 46+. What is not to like?

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
      New features look nice but will they actually land for GNOME 46? Feature freeze for GNOME 46 is scheduled for 10th of February. That makes it 2 weeks and they're still discussing how settings UI should look like.

Comment

There's only really 2 things I don't like about Gnome. I've mostly come around to it's design (even if I don't prefer it) but
        1. the fact that the search doesn't take into account your recent apps. If I have 2 terminals installed and I search "term" and click on the 2nd one in the list. The next time I search "term" it's still the 2nd item in the list rather than defaulting to the front of the list.
        2. The fact that I need an extension to have a system tray, and the extension often breaks, and isn't that great in the first place. I rely heavily on the system tray for many things I do, and so not having it kinda sucks.

But other than that, I've kind of come around to Gnome. I still don't think I'll ever daily drive it, as before either of those things get fixed COSMIC will be out and I no doubt will be daily driving that or Plasma 6.

Comment

Steady but exciting work. I cut my teeth on Linux many moons ago on a GNOME 2 based distro but also extensively spent time with KDE 3, 4, and briefly 5 based distros. I was there for the GNOME 3 rollout that caused me a bit of consternation coming from GNOME 2 but I kept one rig with that on it and followed it's evolution. Unity was still the DE when I moved over to Ubuntu for good thus ending my distro hopping. But because I still had a laptop using GNOME 3 it wasn't a big deal for me when Canonical made the decision to get out of the smart phone business and ending in-house development of Unity and making the switch to GNOME 3.x. Over the last few years GNOME has gone from strength to strength. Can't wait to see what's next and for upcoming Ubuntu 24.04. The latest GNOME plus v.6.8 of the Linux Kernel.

BTW. really appreciate the battery saver mode to keep your charge between the range of 50-80% although I would suggest dropping the low bound range to 40% but that's just me and what I do with my iPhone and Macbook Pro.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post

There's only really 2 things I don't like about Gnome. [..]

But other than that, I've kind of come around to Gnome. I still don't think I'll ever daily drive it, as before either of those things get fixed COSMIC will be out and I no doubt will be daily driving that or Plasma 6.
            Gnome has some weird defaults like sticky modal windows. You can't basically move modal windows if there's some important content behind it. You'll need the gnome tweaks tool to turn this off because it's not part of the default settings.

KDE also has similar weird defaults. The focus stealing feature makes it a default behavior that every time you start a new app it will appear under all existing windows. It's really hard to notice new windows.

Comment

Up to ~60Hz and down to what? 1Hz?

I wonder if Jelle van der Waa owns a Tesla, or if any computer brands recommend the 80% limit.

Comment

This implementation is probably BAD. While it's good to never exceed 80% it's not good to wait until it discharges to 60% to restart charging.
                With most Lithium chemistries it's advisable to keep the charged range as little as possible to preserve the battery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4lvDGtfI9U
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                  This implementation is probably BAD. While it's good to never exceed 80% it's not good to wait until it discharges to 60% to restart charging.
                  With most Lithium chemistries it's advisable to keep the charged range as little as possible to preserve the battery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4lvDGtfI9U
                  This is not an implementation, they just provide what the hardware is cable off because the charging limit only works if your BIOS provides support of that. Some devices do have both start and end limit a lot of devices only provide charging end limit.

Comment

That it's GNOME? You really think it's going to end well to ask that question on this forum?

(Blah blah blah. "GNOME 2 was good but I'd take Windows 11 over GNOME 3" etc. etc. etc.)

Comment

Working...
                    X