COSMIC Desktop Rolls Out Lock/Login Screen, More Wayland Protocols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COSMIC Desktop Rolls Out Lock/Login Screen, More Wayland Protocols

Phoronix: COSMIC Desktop Rolls Out Lock/Login Screen, More Wayland Protocols

System76 engineers working on their COSMIC desktop environment for their Ubuntu-based Pop!_OS Linux distribution continue to be quite busy working on this Rust-written desktop code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hope this lock/Login screen is independent from the rest of cosmic because I like it and I want to use it on Sway/Hyprland

Comment

That looks beautiful !

And since GNOME decided to join the circus industry, COSMIC devs must feel twice as confident about taking their distances from this project and making their own.

Comment

To me, it seems like a sane and really modern version of an alternate and not schizophrenic evolution of what GNOME should have been.

Gobject and such, that makes very early Rust code look evolved.

Comment

They actually have linked a web demo of the login screen which I find very impressive they could translate Rust and their UI to WebAssembly! - Very cool!

Comment

Originally posted by evasb View Post
            Hope this lock/Login screen is independent from the rest of cosmic because I like it and I want to use it on Sway/Hyprland
            this seems to be it:

it uses greetd, just like sway, but of course it's communicating with other cosmic components for things like the applet status/notifications. they don't fall under the gnome cabal groupthink of closed protocols, monolithic binary, limiting freedom/compatibility, so I'd expect people will figure out how reuse bits under different compositors.

Comment

Nope, not for me. I personally don't like it at all. Thankfully, I will stick with GNOME which has taste.

Comment

It looks promising...
                Curious to see how it is versus KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
                  They actually have linked a web demo of the login screen which I find very impressive they could translate Rust and their UI to WebAssembly! - Very cool!
                  that's figma. I don't think it's real code.

Comment

Originally posted by Debunez View Post
                    Nope, not for me. I personally don't like it at all. Thankfully, I will stick with GNOME which has taste.
                    are you talking about the lock screen? or the entire DE? most of cosmic looks like gnome, which makes sense because popos uses gnome today.

Comment

Working...
                    X