COSMIC Desktop Rolls Out Lock/Login Screen, More Wayland Protocols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darkoverlordofdata View Post
    I’ve come to view GObject as an abomination, so while I like the idea of Cosmic written using rust, the GObject part really turns me off. I find I like the UbuntuDDE desktop. It’s written using c++ and QT. It’s fast and modern, and probably the most stable linux desktop I’ve tried. I like that I don’t have to reboot 3 times a day to restore my desktop to working order.

I’m still interested in trying it out, but one thing I rely on is a global menu. Will Cosmic support global menus?
    This has nothing to do with GObject or GNOME. COSMIC is written from the ground up in Rust without any GNOME libraries. What you see is the result of our own toolkit based on Iced, and a compositor based on the Smithay toolkit.

Comment

Originally posted by Leprechaunius View Post
      Still no secureboot support? Pass.
      I've never heard of a desktop environment that supports secure boot. Are you lost?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Cool!
        But honestly, I'm tired of so much fragmentation in the desktop environments.
        Instead of having 10-20 good or o, I would like to have a maximum 3 very good from where to choose from.
        Anyway, I would not use a desktop environment without Wayland support, 10-12bit color support, Adaptive sync support and HDR support.
        I'll have to way a few more months for HDR support, but that's ok.
        COSMIC is Wayland-based, supports VRR, HDR, SteamVR, etc.

Comment

I'd really love to support system76 by buying one of their laptops, but the lack of a European or uk shop is a major impediment. The desktop environment looks interesting and I'll totally give it a good spin once it's out.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post

I've never heard of a desktop environment that supports secure boot. Are you lost?
            I've never met anyone who doesn't realize the distinction between PopOS and Cosmic is purely philosophical. Are you lost?

Nobody is running Cosmic on distros other than PopOS, and nobody is running PopOS with a different DE. The very same team of people responsible for PopOS development is working on Cosmic, yet they can't prioritize something as basic as Secureboot, which, ironically, has been working well on their upstream distro Ubuntu for years. Instead, they waste their time reinventing the wheel for a thousandth time, giving us yet another DE, undergoing yet another rewrite. Brilliant.

Comment

I've never met anyone who doesn't realize the distinction between PopOS and Cosmic is purely philosophical. Are you lost?

Nobody is running Cosmic on distros other than PopOS, and nobody is running PopOS with a different DE. The very same team of people responsible for PopOS development is working on Cosmic, yet they can't prioritize something as basic as Secureboot, which, ironically, has been working well on their upstream distro Ubuntu for years. Instead, they waste their time reinventing the wheel for a thousandth time, giving us yet another DE, undergoing yet another rewrite. Brilliant.
              You may want to check who you're replying to. There are many people using COSMIC on Fedora, Arch, NixOS, etc. In fact, one of the team is using and developing it from Fedora. None of this has anything to do with SecureBoot.

Comment

I use the new cosmic ecosysem on arch... I would probably hold off on smiling since if you do the shit would show on your teeth from your head being up your ass for so long.

Comment

Ah yes, how naive of me to expect a basic human-level politeness and intelligence on Phoronix forums, lol.
                  One swallow does not a summer make, is all I can say. Your inability to understand you alone are not a statistically representative sample is baffling. Your defense of illogical resource allocation and prioritization even more so. Go on, keep masturbating to your narcissistic world views, don't let me stop you, I'm out of here.

Comment

Ah yes, how naive of me to expect a basic human-level politeness and intelligence on Phoronix forums, lol.
                    One swallow does not a summer make, is all I can say. Your inability to understand you alone are not a statistically representative sample is baffling. Your defense of illogical resource allocation and prioritization even more so. Go on, keep masturbating to your narcissistic world views, don't let me stop you, I'm out of here.
                    >makes a baseless claim that is easy to check themselves
                    >complains when they don't get respect

Don't claim bullshit if you want respect

Comment

Back to the topic: all of this can be installed today, and with the newly-merged Appearance panel in COSMIC Settings, all applets, applications, and even the login screen will utilize the theme that you can personalize in your configuration.

Comment

Working...
                      X