No announcement yet.

COSMIC Desktop Rolls Out Lock/Login Screen, More Wayland Protocols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our UX team uses Figma to produce designs with animations to show how they should work, and what properties each widget should have. Then the engineering team replicates the mockups with libcosmic.

Comment

Originally posted by Debunez View Post
      Nope, not for me. I personally don't like it at all. Thankfully, I will stick with GNOME which has taste.
      Could you explain why? I also use Gnome, but to me it seems Cosmic has lots of similar design principles to Gnome (client side decorations, hamburger menus, etc). Even the DE layout itself looks almost identical to Gnome (at least in its current state).
      Last edited by user1; 20 October 2023, 02:21 PM.

Comment

I am super excited for COSMIC! Having a light-weight alternative to Gnome with built-in tiling is exactly what I'm after. I really like GTK as a toolkit, but I'm disappointed with how rigid the Gnome team has been with their design and workflow philosophy. I can respect that they have a vision, it's just that they don't allow for much deviation from that vision.

I've been running KDE plasma for the last year and a half have really been enjoying it, but I feel that it has almost has the opposite problem - too many settings, etc. Thankfully I believe the defaults are very sane. If I had to error on the side of having too little vs. too much configuration of course I would always choose the more configuration.

I have very high hopes that COSMIC will strike that balance, and I can finally install COMSIC on my own PCs and more importantly for my family members. Right now my wife is running Pop_OS, and I'm on Arch/Plasma. I'd love to switch over everything to a single OS / DE. Here's hoping Sys76 nails it! I've been very impressed with Pop_OS in general, and I've also purchased their fantastic Launch Keyboard (pricey, but honestly the best keyboard I've ever owned).

Comment

How does System76 finance so much software engineering? Both an own distribution and an own desktop, apart from all the driver/kernel work for the computers they sell.

Do they really sell so many systems that they have the cash to spare?

Is appearing in changelogs a form of marketing for them?

Comment

Originally posted by Debunez View Post
            Nope, not for me. I personally don't like it at all. Thankfully, I will stick with GNOME which has taste.
            What kind of taste? Shamanic circus taste?

Comment

This looks interesting but tiling is a big turn off for me
              Last edited by jacob; 20 October 2023, 05:04 PM.

Comment

A ray of hope in modern Open Source.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                  This looks interesting but tiling is a big turn off for me
                  You can choose between classic windows management or the all included tiling system. It's not restricted.

Comment

Originally posted by unwind-protect View Post
                    How does System76 finance so much software engineering? Both an own distribution and an own desktop, apart from all the driver/kernel work for the computers they sell.

I guess it's both a long term investment and a way to show their commitment to the FOSS world

If Cosmic DE and Pop_os rank among the best and most appreciated softwares in the Linux world, customers will either discover S76 through them or develop a deep trust in S76 engineering.
                    Others may just be thankful for their valuable contributions and order from them rather than an other brand as a thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by unwind-protect View Post

All salaries are paid by hardware sales. Therefore, the size of our engineering team is based on system sale profit rates. The same also applies to QA, support, and production roles. More hardware sales = more software engineers.
                      Last edited by mmstick; 20 October 2023, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X