KDE Plasma 6 Has Reached The Point Of Being "Fairly Livable"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
    "If you’re ,,, an adventurous user" and "fairly livable", that's the best they can up with to promote their lousy software.

I would say that KDE in general is barely livable, there isn't a single KDE based distro that I have ever tried that I was able to use for even an hour, it is that bad.

I don't know which is worse, KDE or Gnome, how anyone uses either one of those is beyond me.

Looks like your underlying hardware is unstable. Check the memory and disks and of course the power supply.
    Linuxer since the early beginnings...

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

I suppose you can track this issue: https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/issues/91

Last activity was May 2022 and it's only a step towards being able to support that.

On the Wayland protocol side of things, `linux-explicit-synchronization-v2`is still actively being discussed/worked on: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayla...ge_requests/90

That was opened back in May 2021, and perhaps it'd help for that to get finalized before compositors progress forward with explicit sync support?

There's also kwinft with the wlroots base which might be another option, but wlroots has not implemented / merged support for either version of that wayland protocol:
      This PR implements explicit synchronization. Unlike previous attempts, it uses a timeline abstraction based on drm_syncobj like Vulkan. To inter-operate with other APIs (KMS, EGL, linux-explicit-synchronization-v1),...

Explicit sync on linux in general, there is this comment with two lengthy discussions between Mesa and Nvidia devs I think where there's been pushback about supporting explicit sync, seems there is some progress and that explicit sync is worthwhile, but transition to it with open-source drivers may take years? :\
      This series drops X11 support - which should be fine since applications would fallback to DRM or Wayland in that case. The NVD_GPU override support seems fairly borked, with my patches making it be...
      Yeah, all is ready except for compositors unlike Weston which is already explicit sync compliant. This improvements is fundamental, whether KDe developers want to issue Plasma 6 with Wayland by default avoiding any problems. Moreover, it should prevent Plasma software and programs as well from many bugs because of drivers and vulkan itself, besides it will make possible to propose vulkan in replacement of opengl as default API remembering that vulkan is explicit sync.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
        Yes nice, only 100 more releases with Wayland fixes, maybe it will be usable in the end.
        It's very usable already. I have been using Plasma on Wayland since February. With Kubuntu 23.04 everything became very stable and I don't miss anything. That's not entirely true, I do miss screen sharing with audio.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
          "If you’re ,,, an adventurous user" and "fairly livable", that's the best they can up with to promote their lousy software.

I would say that KDE in general is barely livable, there isn't a single KDE based distro that I have ever tried that I was able to use for even an hour, it is that bad.

I don't know which is worse, KDE or Gnome, how anyone uses either one of those is beyond me.

Man, you're such a Linux expert.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

I suppose you can track this issue: https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/issues/91

Last activity was May 2022 and it's only a step towards being able to support that.
            AFAICT ​kwin!2423 is supposed to address this, that hasn't seen any activitiy in a year either though. Based on my experience with mutter!1880, I wouldn't hold my breath for this getting solved quickly.

Speaking of mutter!1880, it works without explicit sync (there's the corresponding kwin!2425). In general, explicit sync won't really make any practical difference for users who don't happen to use the nvidia driver (which hits visual glitches without explicit sync).

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Most Desktop Environments suck to me. KDE, Gnome, even Windows and Mac. They are crappy, faulty, difficult, impossible to customize and more.
              Impossible to customize? What are you talking about? KDE is often criticized *because* it is so customizable. And Windows is pretty customizable too if you use external software like WindowBlinds or ClassicShell. GNOME and macOS I do agree.

Comment

I have been using Plasma Wayland for the last 2 years, almost. It is very stable now. Anyone who complains is just trolling at this point. It is not perfect, but it is not worse than any other DE.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Impossible to customize? What are you talking about? KDE is often criticized *because* it is so customizable. And Windows is pretty customizable too if you use external software like WindowBlinds or ClassicShell. GNOME and macOS I do agree.
                  Sorry, I was in a hurry and forgot the logic. KDE is customizable, but lacks robustness.

Windows is customizable with addons, but makes the system even quite less stable and slower. It's not worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurphy View Post

Looks like your underlying hardware is unstable. Check the memory and disks and of course the power supply.
                    Hysterical, you don't even know what my main complaints are, but you have concluded that the underlying hardware is unstable.

Yet this same hardware is just fine running Win 7, 8, 8.1, 10, Ghost BSD, really any BSD or Linux based distro that uses XFCE, Mate, Budgie or Gnome, though i have design choice issues with the latter two.

But please, speculate some more.

Comment

Originally posted by mercster View Post

Man, you're such a Linux expert.
                      Funny you say this, I received certification as a Unix Sys Admin from a major university over 20 years ago, I have built custom distros from scratch using Debian as a base, i have created a bunch of Knoppix remasters and back in the days before Fedora existed, i built Red Hat from scratch just to see if I could do it, back then it was about 20gb of source and it was not easy.

I have using Linux for decades and in fact I am posting this from a laptop that is running Ubuntu Mate.

I will put my knowledge of *Nix against most Phoronix members any day of the week.

Comment

Working...
                      X