Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 6 Has Reached The Point Of Being "Fairly Livable"

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 6 Has Reached The Point Of Being "Fairly Livable"

Following yesterday's KDE weekly development summary, prominent KDE developer Nate Graham has published an update on the current state of affairs for KDE Plasma 6 along with when we may potentially see Plasma 6.0 actually released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Long Live KDE

Comment

So we can expect Plasma 6 to be released sometime after Plasma 5.27.10. Ten years after Plasma 5.0.
      Last edited by Yeayo guy; 18 June 2023, 07:10 AM.

Comment

That's great to hear, hopefully HDR support will be advancing too!

Comment

Yes nice, only 100 more releases with Wayland fixes, maybe it will be usable in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Yeayo guy View Post
            So we can expect Plasma 6 to be released sometime after Plasma 5.27.10. Ten years after Plasma 5.0.
            Not bad considering Gnome 3 to Gnome 4 took 12 years. Looks like both of them are keeping a decent timeline.

Comment

I'm testing Neon Unstable on Virtualbox and X11 session is pretty much broken. Wayland kinda works, I'll not install it on bare metal, maybe ten years ago when new and shiny got me excited. It has a long way to go still.

Comment

Originally posted by SSJBurger View Post

Not bad considering Gnome 3 to Gnome 4 took 12 years. Looks like both of them are keeping a decent timeline.
                Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things? Its not like either has been stagnant as both changed a lot over those version. Gnome particularly is quite different at 3.38 to how it was at 3.0 which is why they switched to just 40 and not doing 4.0.

Comment

I think HDR is absolutely crucial on the Linux desktop and I'm happy to see the work currently going on in this space. KDE Plasma 6 is going to be a great release.

Comment

My only problem is any applications that is supposed to capture the mouse screws up

If windowed, the mouse can escape

If Fullscreen, and Windowed, quick movements causes the mouse to sort of jump back to the center, which when in the application, causes some undesirable behaviour

Comment

Working...
                    X