KDE Plasma 6 Has Reached The Point Of Being "Fairly Livable"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smurphy View Post

Using Wayland here for 12 months under KDE Neon and plasma 5.27.x - Rock stable to be honest.
    I’m running Wayland+Plasma on my laptop and that’s with a Nvidia 3060 in Dedicated mode even though some say Wayland with NV is unusable, but I’m doing fine. Even playing Guildwars2 on XWayland/proton just fine. Wayland has also fixed a few X11 annoyances for me.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperchaotic View Post

I’m running Wayland+Plasma on my laptop and that’s with a Nvidia 3060 in Dedicated mode even though some say Wayland with NV is unusable, but I’m doing fine. Even playing Guildwars2 on XWayland/proton just fine. Wayland has also fixed a few X11 annoyances for me.
      Getting rid of X was the best thing that ever happened to desktop Linux.

That thing is practically a black hole of non-stop pain and tears if X autodetection failed and you are stuck with adding random segments into /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ and hoping that something will work with blind luck.

That's basically what happened with near certainty in the early 2000s, and even on FreeBSD in as recent as 2019 when I tried it out, even with 2007-era hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Sorry, I was in a hurry and forgot the logic. KDE is customizable, but lacks robustness.
        If you were talking about KDE 4 and maybe early KDE 5 releases, sure. But KDE 3 and the current KDE 5 are almost as robust as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
          Funny you say this, I received certification as a Unix Sys Admin from a major university over 20 years ago, I have built custom distros from scratch using Debian as a base, i have created a bunch of Knoppix remasters and back in the days before Fedora existed, i built Red Hat from scratch just to see if I could do it, back then it was about 20gb of source and it was not easy.
          Welp... I didn't know this was a swagger contest in terms of "hobbyist cred", but I've got ya beat by about 10 years mate... you ever built (or even used) a sub-1.0 kernel? Wow, before Fedora existed, again... I dunno in what world that's supposed to be impressive. I've had a long career as a UNIX sysadmin/analyst. I've worked more professionally with the likes of HP-UX, OSF/1 and IRIX than Linux, but your experience fiddling around with distributions definitely gives you the hardcore credentials to dismiss KDE as "lousy software."

After all... as a 20 year veteran you're still... installing different distros... to try a desktop environment... instead of picking a distribution that has sane software auditing, package management, and system configuration management, and just using a preferred window manager/desktop from there...

Why don't you just say "I'm a hobbyist whose main interest is in messing around with distributions instead of actually using operating systems to do anything interesting, and I fetishize older software because going around telling people I use it makes them think I know what I'm talking about." That sounds a bit closer to the mark.

Now be quiet, and stop trying to belittle your way to a healthy self esteem, and if you don't have anything nice to say about a software package designed, written, and distributed for free, that many people enjoy using, just don't say anything.

Comment

Every time a DE is mentioned there's always a fight in the comments which is honestly why I'm here

Comment

Originally posted by mercster View Post

Welp... I didn't know this was a swagger contest in terms of "hobbyist cred", but I've got ya beat by about 10 years mate... you ever built (or even used) a sub-1.0 kernel? Wow, before Fedora existed, again... I dunno in what world that's supposed to be impressive. I've had a long career as a UNIX sysadmin/analyst. I've worked more professionally with the likes of HP-UX, OSF/1 and IRIX than Linux, but your experience fiddling around with distributions definitely gives you the hardcore credentials to dismiss KDE as "lousy software."

After all... as a 20 year veteran you're still... installing different distros... to try a desktop environment... instead of picking a distribution that has sane software auditing, package management, and system configuration management, and just using a preferred window manager/desktop from there...

Why don't you just say "I'm a hobbyist whose main interest is in messing around with distributions instead of actually using operating systems to do anything interesting, and I fetishize older software because going around telling people I use it makes them think I know what I'm talking about." That sounds a bit closer to the mark.

Now be quiet, and stop trying to belittle your way to a healthy self esteem, and if you don't have anything nice to say about a software package designed, written, and distributed for free, that many people enjoy using, just don't say anything.
              :LOL, you are the personification of everything wrong with Linux and why after all these years it still doesn't amount to a hill of beans in terms of market share.

You act like the problems with various desktops and distributions are not well known and documented:

Gnome had a memory leak for what seemed like a decade.

Fedora likewise had issues with memory leaks and still has nasty issues with SELinux and corrupting filesystems, usually ntfs but I have also had it corrupt a LUKS encrypted ext4 partition that resulted in total data loss.

KDE is just an unusable mess, trying to configure any setting reminds me of some of the worse design decision that MS has made over the years.

Gnome and Budgie do not allow you to disable the desktop wallpaper and use a solid color from within the GUI, the workaround some recommend is to create a solid color pic in GIMP and use that nut it can be accomplished with 3 lines from the terminal. The sad thing is that the Gnome devs removed the functionality from the HUI because they claimed it was too much work to maintain the code required to enable the functionality, but as I said it's literally 3 lines in the terminal, so these clowns found it too difficult to maintain 3 lines of code.

Wayland's issues have been well documented in this and other forums.

I think this review of the latest Debian sums up the sorry state of Linux based OSes as a while nicely:

Linux's main draw is that it is legally free and it is worth every penny.

Comment

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
                Every time a DE is mentioned there's always a fight in the comments which is honestly why I'm here
                There's a "fight" because this forum is full of people with blinders on that refuse to acknowledge any shortcomings with whatever their preferred hardware/software stack is:

The AMD faithful will ignore any shortcoming related to either CPU's or GPU's and instead rag on Nvidia and/or Intel.

The Nvidia haters will rag on anything Nvidia and shower love on AMD.

The open source fanatics will rag on the proprietary Nvidia and AMD drivers.

Gnome fanatics will defend Gnome no matter what.

KDE fanatics will defends KDE no matter what.

Linux lovers will rag on Windows and Mac OS.

Fedora lovers will defend Fedora no matter what.

Arch user will defend Arch no matter what.

None of these people will acknowledge anything wrong with what they are defending and will react with hostility if anyone dares to mention an opposing view point.

It almost like a religion or more accurately what has been happening with Trump for the past 5 or so years, those that love him with defend anything he says or does, those that loathe him will use anything he says or does as proof that they are right about him and it seems few are able to take a step back and consider the totality of the situation.

This forum is the same thing, full of AMD loving, Nvidia/Intel hating, Fedora/Arch/KDE/Gnome lovers that are either unwilling or unable to take a step back and look at their devotion objectively.

Comment

There's a "fight" because this forum is full of people with blinders on that refuse to acknowledge any shortcomings with whatever their preferred hardware/software stack is:

The AMD faithful will ignore any shortcoming related to either CPU's or GPU's and instead rag on Nvidia and/or Intel.

The Nvidia haters will rag on anything Nvidia and shower love on AMD.

The open source fanatics will rag on the proprietary Nvidia and AMD drivers.

Gnome fanatics will defend Gnome no matter what.

KDE fanatics will defends KDE no matter what.

Linux lovers will rag on Windows and Mac OS.

Fedora lovers will defend Fedora no matter what.

Arch user will defend Arch no matter what.

None of these people will acknowledge anything wrong with what they are defending and will react with hostility if anyone dares to mention an opposing view point.

It almost like a religion or more accurately what has been happening with Trump for the past 5 or so years, those that love him with defend anything he says or does, those that loathe him will use anything he says or does as proof that they are right about him and it seems few are able to take a step back and consider the totality of the situation.

This forum is the same thing, full of AMD loving, Nvidia/Intel hating, Fedora/Arch/KDE/Gnome lovers that are either unwilling or unable to take a step back and look at their devotion objectively.
                  The thing is; Linux has become boring. To me it was exciting as it was always a challenge to get things to work, or to get a setup I was happy with. now it just kind of installs, detects everything, and works out of the box. Maybe you have to do a few things here and there to install your GPU driver, both AMD/Nvidia have their hoops, depending on how new of a GPU you have. I'd rather muck with Irix, AmigaOS, TOS/GEM, etc. If we want to 'brag' about the old days, I used floppies to install Debian over modem back in the day. Red Hat installs needed to compile XFree86, and certain video cards could only be fully utilized by purchasing a commercial X Server. First time I used an X11 server was on my Atari Mega STe... I remember when 2.x kernel had a lot of excitement around it, and 2.2 was even a larger change! But these days, I hardly even need to track down source for a driver to compile it out of kernel...

Granted, I'm weird too, and preferred Spatial Nautilus (granted that may be due to having used Amigas, and knew where that design choice originated.)

Comment

Itching to try it, but I think I am enjoying Plasma 5.27.3 right now.
                    Last edited by mrg666; 20 June 2023, 02:41 PM.

Comment

:LOL, you are the personification of everything wrong with Linux and why after all these years it still doesn't amount to a hill of beans in terms of market share.

You act like the problems with various desktops and distributions are not well known and documented:

Gnome had a memory leak for what seemed like a decade.

Fedora likewise had issues with memory leaks and still has nasty issues with SELinux and corrupting filesystems, usually ntfs but I have also had it corrupt a LUKS encrypted ext4 partition that resulted in total data loss.

KDE is just an unusable mess, trying to configure any setting reminds me of some of the worse design decision that MS has made over the years.

Gnome and Budgie do not allow you to disable the desktop wallpaper and use a solid color from within the GUI, the workaround some recommend is to create a solid color pic in GIMP and use that nut it can be accomplished with 3 lines from the terminal. The sad thing is that the Gnome devs removed the functionality from the HUI because they claimed it was too much work to maintain the code required to enable the functionality, but as I said it's literally 3 lines in the terminal, so these clowns found it too difficult to maintain 3 lines of code.

Wayland's issues have been well documented in this and other forums.

I think this review of the latest Debian sums up the sorry state of Linux based OSes as a while nicely:

Linux's main draw is that it is legally free and it is worth every penny.
                      I skimmed over the review, but it sounds to me like he didn't do a hash check on his Debian DVD. If it was failing during package installation, sounds like it just had corrupted packages. I generally do the minimal net install, so that it just fetches whatever the latest packages are. Generally the only failures I get from Debian installs in ages is from grub failures if I didn't configure something correctly (like software raid, etc). The Debian installer is still one of the best for setting up obscure disk layouts. Most don't even support installing / configuring software raid systems.

As far as the comments of generic setups.. uhm, that is what Debian is. They're supposed to be using Evolution with Gnome, but they still default to installing the full suite of whatever desktop you pick during install.

Comment

Working...
                      X