No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 6 Has Reached The Point Of Being "Fairly Livable"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well... Not in Arch's KDE Unstable yet, so I'm going to keep waiting. No rush.

Comment

"If you’re ,,, an adventurous user" and "fairly livable", that's the best they can up with to promote their lousy software.

I would say that KDE in general is barely livable, there isn't a single KDE based distro that I have ever tried that I was able to use for even an hour, it is that bad.

I don't know which is worse, KDE or Gnome, how anyone uses either one of those is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
        "If you’re ,,, an adventurous user" and "fairly livable", that's the best they can up with to promote their lousy software.
        It's a work in progress. Some people want to try it (even if it has not been released).

Comment

Originally posted by Yeayo guy View Post
          So we can expect Plasma 6 to be released sometime after Plasma 5.27.10. Ten years after Plasma 5.0.
          Sounds like that is a problem.
          I think Plasma/KDE5 is pretty okay, so I do not feel that much need for a new version (that might be buggy) already.
          Besides, KDE usually follows the Qt development cycle somewhat.
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

fairly livable 😁... KWIN BASED ON EXPLICIT SYNC IS DEAD OR ALIVE!?

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

I would say that KDE in general is barely livable, there isn't a single KDE based distro that I have ever tried that I was able to use for even an hour, it is that bad.

I don't know which is worse, KDE or Gnome, how anyone uses either one of those is beyond me.

Most Desktop Environments suck to me. KDE, Gnome, even Windows and Mac. They are crappy, faulty, difficult, impossible to customize and more.

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
                fairly livable 😁... KWIN BASED ON EXPLICIT SYNC IS DEAD OR ALIVE!?
                I suppose you can track this issue: https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/issues/91

Last activity was May 2022 and it's only a step towards being able to support that.

On the Wayland protocol side of things, `linux-explicit-synchronization-v2`is still actively being discussed/worked on: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayla...ge_requests/90

That was opened back in May 2021, and perhaps it'd help for that to get finalized before compositors progress forward with explicit sync support?

There's also kwinft with the wlroots base which might be another option, but wlroots has not implemented / merged support for either version of that wayland protocol:
                This PR implements explicit synchronization. Unlike previous attempts, it uses a timeline abstraction based on drm_syncobj like Vulkan. To inter-operate with other APIs (KMS, EGL, linux-explicit-synchronization-v1),...

Explicit sync on linux in general, there is this comment with two lengthy discussions between Mesa and Nvidia devs I think where there's been pushback about supporting explicit sync, seems there is some progress and that explicit sync is worthwhile, but transition to it with open-source drivers may take years? :\
                This series drops X11 support - which should be fine since applications would fallback to DRM or Wayland in that case. The NVD_GPU override support seems fairly borked, with my patches making it be...

Comment

> This would take us into the middle of November. This is most likely the earliest timeframe for a Plasma release,
                  > and it would require everything to go right, including a huge burst of contributor activity around QA and bugfixing.
                  > The likelier scenario is a release sometime between this December and March of next year.

Since they don't feel comfortable with making a schedule yet, I would guess the earliest we'll see Plasma 6 would be June 2024. In Fedora
                  land that would mean it could debut in F41, which would be around end of October, 2024.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post

Does it really matter in the grand scheme of things? Its not like either has been stagnant as both changed a lot over those version. Gnome particularly is quite different at 3.38 to how it was at 3.0 which is why they switched to just 40 and not doing 4.0.
                    I just find both their progress impressive and extremely healthy for the Linux community.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                      Yes nice, only 100 more releases with Wayland fixes, maybe it will be usable in the end.
                      Using Wayland here for 12 months under KDE Neon and plasma 5.27.x - Rock stable to be honest.
                      Linuxer since the early beginnings...

Comment

Working...
                      X