No announcement yet.

GNOME's New Human Interface Guidelines Now Official

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tesler's law " If you simplify too much, you will transfer some complexity to the users" https://growth.design/psychology/

I think gnome should do two designs one for desktop/laptop other for tablet/mobile they cant combine two.

Nuclear power plant do need complex interface as well desktop user need advance options and customization as KDE XFCE others provide

Comment

They should rename it to gnome interface guidelines. Not human interface guidelines.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
        Insanity specified.

I guess those guys don't know how much harm they do to linux on the desktop. Or, more plausible, Microsoft actually infiltrated the Gnome team and injected those poisoned ideas how a desktop UI should look like. How else would you come up with a filechooser no one can use, or an OK-Button of a dialog in the window title bar. Different or uncoventional does not automatically mean better.
        That's just wrong and displays your ignorance. The app design is decades ahead of KDE. The file manager does however not allow you to edit the filepath by mouse alone.

Comment

TL;DR: None of the two DE are ahead, they have both pros and cons that I as a user have to deal with.

Originally posted by Turbine View Post
          That's just wrong and displays your ignorance. The app design is decades ahead of KDE. The file manager does however not allow you to edit the filepath by mouse alone.
          Remind me again why gnome-tweaks exists again? Rhetorical question, the fine-tuning is neat but certain settings should be on the general settings with a boolean for "advanced settings" if you want to tune it, otherwise you have to search (if you don't know, you actually search for it on the search bar or manually) and think "oh yeah, tweaks has some more settings", which causes some redundancy on two different settings:
          • Tweaks, under Appearance, has image and adjustment for both lock screen and background.
          • Tweaks, under General, Suspend when laptop lid is closed should be on Power (general settings under Power)
          And then you need more settings on general gnome settings:
          • Certain categories should have a global settings alternative settings (login-user settings) - Examples: Power, Keyboard (I have vague memory it had before), Removable Media (for actual security), Background
          • GUI for adding more Default applications (for advanced users)
          And that's just after checking for logical settings layout, not design (UX) flaws depending on resolution (so much wasted space). The latter is a hard one though but my point is to counter your point about being decades ahead of KDE. There is no decades ahead, there are only problems.
          Granted KDE has setting where you have settings upon settings upon settings, but most of those are categorized and labeled. KDE has the settings nailed down, they just need make it user friendly and/or advanced user friendly. It took me 5 seconds to screw the desktop Environment (background) without bringing it back to default (had to manually remove the home folder).

Comment

Likewise, a good name should avoid:
            • Using trademarks or names of other projects (for example: GNOME Instant Video).
            • Having a “G” prefix (for example: GMusic).
            • Overly complicated names and/or acronyms.
            • Puns and inside jokes.
            • Non-standard punctuation or whitespace (for example: SuperWriter).
            • Made-up words or word combinations.
            So "GIMP", one of GNOME's probably oldest and most successful house projects and officially hosted under https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/ will be renamed to... what... "Paint"?

All these nonsensical names like "Files", "Calendar", "Mail" are really annoying me - I want to know which program is behind the smoke and mirrors.
            What happens if I have several E-Mail-Clients installed? Mail, Mail and Mail? Or isn't Thunderbird, Geary and KMail better?

I do not want to know the functionality it provides, I want to know its name, its identifier so to say.
            The functionality is a meta-field embedded in the .desktop-file, so when typing into the program launcher's search field it gets found, along with the program's name shown to me, so I can choose exactly which of the available programs to execute.

Imagine BMW, Audi, Tesla, 316i, A1, A8, Model S all be officially named "Car"... stupidity!
            But this oversimplification probably suits GNOME's concept and vision very well.
            Last edited by reba; 07 August 2021, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              How about stop ignoring user's preferences ???
              If I want just a simple titlebar with only the title and the 3 buttons (minimize, maximize, close) on the right side for all windows, then leave it like that !
              I don't want context menus, tabs, search boxes in the title bar or the 3 buttons to be differently styled compared to the theme I chose.
              Pfff, you have all the other desktop on Linux to choose from. But, oh no! There is a desktop that isn't like all the others. Burn them!

Really? 'I want a simple title bar with only title and 3 buttons'. Really, this is your complaint? Just don't use it. It isn't for you. It never will. Plenty of choice for you, like KDE, I see on this site every few days they removed numerous bugs and added numerous features. Sounds as the way to go for you. Why so hung up on it?

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post

That's not true. Ubuntu and Fedora use GNOME in their flagship editions. And if you are a big corporation (lets imagine corporation that does not buy Windows or macOS) you will install something that has at least paid support. And that means GNOME. Thankfully for enterprise humans we have SUSE with KDE
                I work for such big corporation.
                We have our own Linux based on Ubuntu.
                And even if it comes installed with the default Ubuntu desktop (Gnome), the user is free to install any other desktop that is available in the Ubuntu repos like KDE, XFCE, Xmonad or whatever.
                So no, it does need to be Gnome or KDE even if you're a big corporation.

Edit: As a small hint which company I'm talking about, check out this job advertisement:

https://jobs.ericsson.com/job/Buchar...r-B/730629602/

Excerpt from the job advertisement: "
                • Customise, improve and build new features for Ericsson’s Linux (ELX) platform.
                • Design and develop new Ericsson’s Linux (ELX) capabilities.
                • Get involved in customer engagement in order to increase the business value.
                "

If you live in Romania and have the skills it might be interesting? 😊

Last edited by tomas; 07 August 2021, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Ah the comment complaining about topics they love to hate even though they can basically ignore the article.
                  Originally posted by reba View Post
                  All these nonsensical names like "Files", "Calendar", "Mail" are really annoying me - I want to know which program is behind the smoke and mirrors.
                  What happens if I have several E-Mail-Clients installed? Mail, Mail and Mail? Or isn't Thunderbird, Geary and KMail better
                  Nonsensical to who? A bunch of individuals choosing to rant on topics that does not address to them.

I do not want to know the functionality it provides, I want to know its name, its identifier so to say.
                  The functionality is a meta-field embedded in the .desktop-file, so when typing into the program launcher's search field it gets found, along with the program's name shown to me, so I can choose exactly which of the available programs to execute.
                  So, you have a way to rename an application of your choice yet keep ranting? Really?

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post

So "GIMP", one of GNOME's probably oldest and most successful house projects and officially hosted under https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/ will be renamed to... what... "Paint"?

What happens if I have several E-Mail-Clients installed? Mail, Mail and Mail? Or isn't Thunderbird, Geary and KMail better?

Imagine BMW, Audi, Tesla, 316i, A1, A8, Model S all be officially named "Car"... stupidity!
                    But this oversimplification probably suits GNOME's concept and vision very well.
                    It's not a problem we name it Mail; only, and if only that there's just one mail application, and it's that good that we don't need others. Same with text editor. We can just name it text editor if there's just one text editor in the entire linux packages, and it's that good that we don't need another text editor.

But we know it's near-imposiblle.
                    Last edited by t.s.; 07 August 2021, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbine View Post

Nope. That's just wrong and displays your ignorance. GNOME app design is NOT DECADES. But centuries, or even mileniums ahead of KDE. It's just that you must install all sort of extensions for it to be usable, ehehe..

Comment

Working...
                      X