Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by numacross View Post

You're correct , the first page reads:

I remember when discovering your ip address was only a couple clicks away on Unity. Now with Gnome 3 it is buried like on Windows.

Comment

Phew. So much hate.
      You know, you really don't have to use their software if you don't like it. It's a free world (and software).

Comment

Originally posted by tomas View Post
        Phew. So much hate.
        You know, you really don't have to use their software if you don't like it. It's a free world (and software).
        That's not true. Ubuntu and Fedora use GNOME in their flagship editions. And if you are a big corporation (lets imagine corporation that does not buy Windows or macOS) you will install something that has at least paid support. And that means GNOME. Thankfully for enterprise humans we have SUSE with KDE

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

I remember when discovering your ip address was only a couple clicks away on Unity. Now with Gnome 3 it is buried like on Windows.
          It took me three clicks and can pretty much be done in less than one second if in a hurry.

1. Open the menu thingy in the upper right corner
          2. Click "Settings"
          3. The network category was already selected so here I can just click the cogwheel next to the network in question and there's our IP

EZ

Comment

I <3 GNOME #IgnoreTheHate

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
              One should also not say GNOME...
              I know you're trying to shoehorn in your critique of "political correctness" or some shit but I worry that you don't know that gnomes aren't real.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Having a G prefix........

So GJS, GLib and GEdit violate this rule.
                The two first ones aren't facing the user and the third is actually just presented as "Text Editor".

GParted on the other hand...

And more recently, GOverlay. Okay, it's not part of the GNOME ecosystem.
                Last edited by Brisse; 06 August 2021, 04:27 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Having a G prefix........

So GJS, GLib and GEdit violate this rule.
                  I guess the rule probably doesn't (or shouldn't) apply to libraries so gjs and glib are OK. GEdit is a historical name that will stay but I agree that new software shouldn't be named that way.

Comment

Nice website and everything, was interested in the adaptiveness aspect but the page gives a 404. GTK 4 + libadwaita apps are going to be fantastic, if designed well of course.

Core GNOME apps tend to be great, except there is no commitment to a well-defined features manifesto.
                    For example, I had a very simple workflow with Clocks such that, upon a timer expiring and with the Clocks window still being in focus, all it took to make it start again was pressing Space, but they broke it when they updated the UI around 3.36 or 3.38. It's still broken in 40 (not necessarily complaining, as I can't be bothered to file a bug report for this).

Edit: one of the links in the Guidelines page is broken because it brings you to a "responsive" page, while the right one is "adaptive", so the actual content is there.

https://developer.gnome.org/hig/guid.../adaptive.html

Edit 2: they chose a hilarious image for the View Switcher page that shows what appears to be Clocks' switcher with mostly unrelated symbolic icons.
                    https://developer.gnome.org/hig/patt...switchers.html
                    Last edited by chocolate; 06 August 2021, 04:31 PM.

Comment

New Human Interface Guidelines
                      so this is not for normal humans like 98% that live on the earth ?

Comment

Working...
                      X