GNOME's New Human Interface Guidelines Now Official

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post

On my GNOME system it complains I don't have NetworkManager online, so it can't show any network settings. Apparently not compatible with systemd-networkd.
    Indeed, gnome-settings-daemon depends on NetworkManager. I guess you are doing Linux from scratch or something because otherwise your distribution package manager should have pulled in NetworkManager when installing GNOME.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      not to mention that you need zero clicks to do first two steps(win-s-e-enter)
      Good one. I guess I could do it in zero clicks by bringing up a terminal and solving the task there.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

On my GNOME system it complains I don't have NetworkManager online, so it can't show any network settings. Apparently not compatible with systemd-networkd.
        That’s right, systemd-networkd is mostly a server/embedded thing as it diesn’t deal with dynamic network configuration.

Comment

This is why I love GNOME: you can agree a lot or nothing at all with their vision, but at least they have one.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilHowl View Post
            This is why I love GNOME: you can agree a lot or nothing at all with their vision, but at least they have one.
            And maybe they will make it to a doctor someday

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              kde zealots still can't use keyboard?
              This doesn't have to do anything with KDE in itself, although it is easily configurable to be used one-handed with a mouse.
              Think about light usescases like switching between mail client, browser, newsfeeds and adding to a small background music playlist when needed while you use your other hand to eat something you don't want to smear on your keyboard.
              A default Gnome >=3 makes it really hard to use your computer in such situations. And from others who tried achieving that with various addons (or whatever the correct term is with Gnome) i heard that it's simply not worth the effort because those addons are often being unstabe, break with minor updates or are suddenly not maintained anymore.
              Don't get me wrong, i like efficiency that comes with keyboard shortcuts etc. and can't imagine doing serious work without heavily using it, but there's all the other casual stuff one can do with a PC.. a good UI supports you, a bad one forces you to jump through loops.
              Other things are just a matter of taste: I like multitasking and seeing all relevant information all the time, others prefer not being distracted by whatever elements around their application window.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0
                Dipshit moron still can't use his brain?
                Pal666 didn't look good with his post yet you still managed to look way worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Neuro-Chef View Post
                  This doesn't have to do anything with KDE in itself, although it is easily configurable to be used one-handed with a mouse.
                  Think about light usescases like switching between mail client, browser, newsfeeds and adding to a small background music playlist when needed while you use your other hand to eat something you don't want to smear on your keyboard.
                  A default Gnome >=3 makes it really hard to use your computer in such situations.
                  that's like 100% incorrect because GNOME has overview and gestures which make it very easy to use the computer with one hand if you so desire.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
                    I’m assuming it’s just a post-it note that says “make everything take as many clicks as possible”
                    It says, "We need more cowbell..."

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post

So basically, for the Gnome team, almost all Kde names suck. And I agree.
                      In fact, almost nothing is a "good name" including Firefox, Chromium and Linux.
                      Therefore:
                      A good name should avoid:
                      • Overly complicated names and/or acronyms.
                      • Puns and inside jokes.
                      • Non-standard punctuation (for example: SuperWriter).

Comment

Working...
                      X