Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's New Human Interface Guidelines Now Official

Phoronix: GNOME's New Human Interface Guidelines Now Official

In recent months there has been an effort to update GNOME's Human Interface Guidelines (HIG) to reflect the GTK4 toolkit and recommendations around new widgets, utility panes, and more for enhancing the accessibility of GNOME applications, arguably looking better, and just otherwise modernizing aspects of the HIG that haven't been touched in months. That updated GNOME HIG is now official...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...E-HIG-Official

I’m assuming it’s just a post-it note that says “make everything take as many clicks as possible”

Comment

The word "discoverability" only appears once. I'd like to see a lot more focus on that.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
        I’m assuming it’s just a post-it note that says “make everything take as many clicks as possible”
        You're correct , the first page reads:
        Don’t overwhelm people with too many elements at once. Use progressive disclosure and navigation structures to provide a guided experience.

Comment

Likewise, a good name should avoid:
          • Using trademarks or names of other projects (for example: GNOME Instant Video).
          • Having a “G” prefix (for example: GMusic).
          • Overly complicated names and/or acronyms.
          • Puns and inside jokes.
          • Non-standard punctuation or whitespace (for example: SuperWriter).
          • Made-up words or word combinations.
          So basically, for the Gnome team, almost all Kde names suck. And I agree.

Comment

Insanity specified.

I guess those guys don't know how much harm they do to linux on the desktop. Or, more plausible, Microsoft actually infiltrated the Gnome team and injected those poisoned ideas how a desktop UI should look like. How else would you come up with a filechooser no one can use, or an OK-Button of a dialog in the window title bar. Different or uncoventional does not automatically mean better.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post

So basically, for the Gnome team, almost all Kde names suck. And I agree.
              Having a G prefix........

So GJS, GLib and GEdit violate this rule.

Comment

One should also not say GNOME, DWARF or MIDGET, but LITTLE PERSON is the appropriate term. #SOSHALLJUSTITS

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
                  Insanity specified.

I guess those guys don't know how much harm they do to linux on the desktop. Or, more plausible, Microsoft actually infiltrated the Gnome team and injected those poisoned ideas how a desktop UI should look like. How else would you come up with a filechooser no one can use, or an OK-Button of a dialog in the window title bar. Different or uncoventional does not automatically mean better.
                  Let's not get into conspiracy theory territory. The reality is they fuck everything up by themselves and Microsoft never had to write a check.

At least people are waking up to the damage they do and are adopting better technologies that respect the user and the developer.

Comment

Gnome would be probably far better off design-wise if it didn't have a design team at all. It's hard to shake off the feeling that none of the people in that team have ever used a computer, at least certainly not to do any work.

Comment

Working...
                    X