GNOME's New Human Interface Guidelines Now Official

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

It took me three clicks and can pretty much be done in less than one second if in a hurry.

1. Open the menu thingy in the upper right corner
    2. Click "Settings"
    3. The network category was already selected so here I can just click the cogwheel next to the network in question and there's our IP

EZ
    You can also select your connection then click "WiFi Settings", brings you straight to the correct page in the Settings app.

Anyways, here's a look at my extensions list. https://imgur.com/upHYYQ8.png Notice the lack of Dash-to-dock. With Touchpad Gestures, I don't need it anymore. I only really used it for switching windows, but with 3-finger-swipe, I can switch windows more quickly than I even could with the dock. (Yes, you can also use the Win/Super key, but then you have to move your finger from the keyboard to the trackpad. I use the key for when I want to launch applications (which is done entirely on keyboard), but for window switching it's all trackpad.)

Gnome used to be super rough (slow/laggy, Adwaita was ugly, the Icon style was ugly, etc.) but modern Gnome is actually quite nice. It's not for everyone, but I and many others quite like it. (I still use Thunar instead of Nautilus though, as I prefer type-ahead instead of type-to-search.)

Comment

Originally posted by chocolate View Post
      Edit 2: they chose a hilarious image for the View Switcher page that shows what appears to be Clocks' switcher with mostly unrelated symbolic icons.
      https://developer.gnome.org/hig/patt...switchers.html
      Oh come on, don't you use your printer as a stopwatch? :P

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post

You can also select your connection then click "WiFi Settings", brings you straight to the correct page in the Settings app.
        I tried this approach (but with ethernet, not that it matters) but it required an extra click compared with my previous method which was detrimental to getting my point across. Four clicks is like an apocalyptic amount of clicks and is sure to wear out any quality rat in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post

so this is not for normal humans like 98% that live on the earth ?
          It's like it says in the title, it's only for new humans.

Comment

How about stop ignoring user's preferences ???
            If I want just a simple titlebar with only the title and the 3 buttons (minimize, maximize, close) on the right side for all windows, then leave it like that !
            I don't want context menus, tabs, search boxes in the title bar or the 3 buttons to be differently styled compared to the theme I chose.

Chromium at least comes with the option to choose if you want to use system titlebar and borders (which is the default) or custom ones.
            Unfortunately mny GTK programs, probably following these stupid guidelines, don't care at all about user's preferences, because they know better.

Dear developers, please stop ignoring user's preferences and take the guidelines more like a recommendation or somebody's preference than a rule !
            Thank you !

Comment

It took me three clicks and can pretty much be done in less than one second if in a hurry.

2. Click "Settings"
              3. The network category was already selected so here I can just click the cogwheel next to the network in question and there's our IP

EZ
              On my GNOME system it complains I don't have NetworkManager online, so it can't show any network settings. Apparently not compatible with systemd-networkd.

Comment

Originally posted by tomas View Post
                Phew. So much hate.
                You know, you really don't have to use their software if you don't like it. It's a free world (and software).
                At least in my case it's not hate. It's just reminiscing the excellent user experience of Gnome 2. You know, back when you could actually find the functions you were looking for by simply checking the icons on your screen or, if that failed, by reading through the menus, with menu titles giving you a usually good hint what features might be found where...
                Nowadays Gnome is extremely hard to navigate. The only way to find functions is by learning the UI of that particular program by heart, because there is zero guidance what can be found where. And of course every minor update makes that knowledge obsolete, because stuff suddenly gets hidden elsewhere in a completely random fashion.

This really saddens me, because the technical foundation of Gnome is solid, and the desktop environment is probably the most stable on Linux. It would also be feature rich, if regular users (meaning: people who don't have the time to mess with dconf) could actually find those features...
                Whenever I'm looking at Gnome 4 I imagine how easy working with it could be, and then I get disappointed by seeing how extremely complicated and confusing it is.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
                  I’m assuming it’s just a post-it note that says “make everything take as many clicks as possible”
                  kde zealots still can't use keyboard?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    Having a G prefix........

So GJS, GLib and GEdit violate this rule.
                    first and second are not applications, third is named Text Editor. still confused?

Comment

2. Click "Settings"

EZ
                      not to mention that you need zero clicks to do first two steps(win-s-e-enter)

Comment

Working...
                      X