Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.22 Now Supports FreeSync/Adaptive-Sync On Wayland, GPU Hot-Plugging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very cool! Can't wait to test it out.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      By default Firefox in Fedora 34 shows certain menus outside of screen under a Wayland session. E.g. I have the "Other Bookmarks" button in the rightmost part of the bookmarks bar and when you click it only half the window which pop ups on the screen is visible - this is not an issue under X.org.
      Popups on Wayland are a mess. The surface for the pop up isn’t allowed to be aware of its parent and vice versa, so you have dumb problems like this. My biggest issue is that you can’t click on a menubar item and drag over an item and release to activate it, something I’ve been doing for years. It works fine on X11 and is easy to implement there because it doesn’t sandbox every surface.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
        I know birdie can be a PITA sometimes, but that doesn't mean he can't have actual issues on a non-messed up setup.
        He has a lot of mental issues. Nobody denies this. 20 years in IT and still no clue.Three simple questions: why this cave troll didn't install Fedora 34 like 90% of other people? Why he didn't try with Gnome where Wayland shines? Isn't this because it would ruin his anti-Wayland fanatic crusade?

Comment

Originally posted by Kver View Post

Heh, I'm picturing caveman Birdie complaining;

"When me make fire hand gets burnt! I hate fire!"
          "Birdie, damnit, when you light the fire take your hands out."
          "Fire is stupid. I test fire, burns every time. Me stick with rocks, banging rocks together safe."
          "Okay man."
          "Ow! Thumbs caught in rocks!"
          New isn't always better but I guess you're too young to understand that.

Some recent examples: Windows 8, 10, Gnome > 2, KDE > 3, etc. etc. etc. And it's not only about software either. Some car models have actually regressed in their looks and features, the EU is now waging war with appliances with planned obsolesce (wasn't an issue just 20 years ago) and other "niceties".

It's all so focking funny. Yeah, I prefer the tools which work instead of tools which look better and do not work.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post

There is a saying, each situation is it's own isolated situation because of the variables. You can either accept that you installed it wrong and accept that other people are using Wayland successfully as their daily driver or just ignore people using it and believing that everyone else failed to install Wayland like you did.
            Or more accurately, Wayland is not production ready yet since it evidently has a lot of teething problems.

Originally posted by Volta View Post

He has a lot of mental issues. Nobody denies this. 20 years in IT and still no clue.Three simple questions: why this cave troll didn't install Fedora 34 like 90% of other people? Why he didn't try with Gnome where Wayland shines? Isn't this because it would ruin his anti-Wayland fanatic crusade?
            I have Fedora 33 (and then 34) and I disabled wayland because of issues, its not just him. Note that I ended up not using Fedora anymore because of more fundamental issues with the distro so I have since switched.
            Last edited by mdedetrich; 02 May 2021, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Maybe because he doesn't like GNOME? I don't like GNOME either.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Or more accurately, Wayland is not production ready yet since it evidently has a lot of teething problems.

I have Fedora 33 (and then 34) and I disabled wayland because of issues, its not just him. Note that I ended up not using Fedora anymore because of more fundamental issues with the distro so I have since switched.
                No, no, that's not how it works around here. Either you love Wayland or you have mental issues and can't properly set it up, nothing wrong with Wayland itself. Right, fanboys?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                  No, no, that's not how it works around here. Either you love Wayland or you have mental issues and can't properly set it up, nothing wrong with Wayland itself. Right, fanboys?
                  Not at all. The reality is X11 bare metal is going end of life. This is a ready or not moment. The fact it was going bare metal going end of life was really showing in 2019.

Yet there are still people talking about issues here that don't have matching bug reports or are security problems that software vendors need to fix.

The reality here saying on X11 Bare Metal is not a long term option unless something major changes. Please note X11 bare metal has not been properly maintained since 2019 and no one has stepped up to take over the maintainer-ship. Yet we still have people with stupid baseless wishful thinking that somebody will. The reality is without a direction nobody is going to take over the maintainership of X11 bare metal.

We already have programs that you can build that only work with Xwayland and Xquartz(as in Wayland X11 and Mac OS X11) that don't work with X11 bare metal.

Yes people point to application that don't work with Xwayland properly interesting point they don't work with Mac OS X11 or WSL2 X11(that is Xwayland) or even ming X11.

The writing is on the wall what is going to happen. The conversion is going to accelerate.

The reality here is most of the people complaining like or not you are not paying the core developers that make gnome/kde or the linux kernel. Those parts if you follow the money are paid for by large enterprise with security is more important than functionality.

What we are going though now is the price of getting a OS cheap.

Comment

*sigh* Again with this X11 vs Wayland drama... OK, let's reiterate for the Nth time:

Anyone claiming that X11 is not a complete clusterfack in dire need of replacement, that it is not obsolete and on its way out, and that we can keep using it in the foreseeable future and ignore Wayland, is simply delusional and/or a troll. Bonus points for falsely claiming that Wayland is 10 years in the making, or that its issues are soooooo serious that they can't be fixed in due time, or that a good and easy solution would be for some random dude to step up and handle the 1.21 release in their spare time.

On the other hand, anyone claiming that Wayland is currently 100% ready to replace X11, that it is currently able to cover every single required use case (not to mention corner cases), and that userland support for it is top notch and ready for the Average Joe, is also delusional and/or a troll.

The simple truth is that for better or for worse Wayland is the future, and the future is almost now. And in proper open source fashion our first taste of the future is going to be in a mostly-but-not-really-finished state, because that's how you set things in motion and field-test your products and get them from "almost ready" to "ready" when you're not a multibillion corporation able to afford your own internal QA behind closed doors (and even then, sh*t happens - just look at Windows 10).

Comment

Originally posted by Nocifer View Post
                      *sigh* Again with this X11 vs Wayland drama... OK, let's reiterate for the Nth time:

Bonus points for falsely claiming that Wayland is 10 years in the making

GitHub is where people build software. More than 100 million people use GitHub to discover, fork, and contribute to over 420 million projects.

Look on how old the README is, and I really don´t want to dig further.

Really, kid, at least get your data right, Weston, the reference implementation is said to be started on 2008.

You will find that most here agree that X needs to be replaced asap, but, those of us that refuse to sink our heads in sand, also see how Wayland failed on important points and need to be corrected before things get so diverted between DE's that Wayland itself start to deserve replacement for its shortcomings, and no, I don´t want that. Were I smarter and with more time on my hands I would happily try to help, unluckily, I'm not qualified nor have the time.

Go expose your fanboyism elsewhere, please.

Comment

Working...
                      X