Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.22 Now Supports FreeSync/Adaptive-Sync On Wayland, GPU Hot-Plugging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nocifer View Post
    *sigh* Again with this X11 vs Wayland drama... OK, let's reiterate for the Nth time:

Bonus points for falsely claiming that Wayland is 10 years in the making
    https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/
    https://github.com/wayland-project/wayland/tree/0.85

Look on how old the README is, and I really don´t want to dig further.

Really, kid, at least get your data right, Weston, the reference implementation is said to be started on 2008.

You will find that most here agree that X needs to be replaced asap, but, those of us that refuse to sink our heads in sand, also see how Wayland failed on important points and need to be corrected before things get so diverted between DE's that Wayland itself start to deserve replacement for its shortcomings, and no, I don´t want that. Were I smarter and with more time on my hands I would happily try to help, unluckily, I'm not qualified nor have the time.

Go expose your fanboyism elsewhere, please.

Comment

Originally posted by acobar View Post
      Wayland itself start to deserve replacement for its shortcomings, and no, I don´t want that. Were I smarter and with more time on my hands I would happily try to help, unluckily, I'm not qualified nor have the time.
      From the start it was known that Wayland would be rough. Thinking directfb, Ywindows.... basically all other attempt to replace X11 server before it died out due to lack of driver support. We are still having problem getting wayland right due to drivers.

Also there is a problem designing a proper secure desktop. There is no reference desktop that decent for a proper secure desktop. Windows, Mac OS don't in fact provide security desktop. X11 XACE attempt at a security desktop was a total failure due to poor foundations and about 90% of existing applications are totally broken if you enable it.

A lot of the short comings of Wayland appear as soon as you enable XACE as well. So its not that Wayland need to be replaced lot of areas that appear to be short comings there need to be a proper extension designed to deal with.

Yes X11 its been a short coming for historic network usage that random applications can see all other applications due to the extra traffic a poorly coded application could cause looking at the complete screen.

The hardest problem with wayland is to keep it secure the way a lot of things are done under X11. Windows and Mac OS is wrong so this means you have to find a new way to skin the cat of that problem that keeps the security.

Originally posted by acobar View Post
      Were I smarter and with more time on my hands I would happily try to help, unluckily, I'm not qualified nor have the time.
      The people putting the feature list Wayland developers have to meet are not smarter than you, not more qualified than you and really don't have more time that you. The difference is they are enterprise managers looking at future IEEE and equal security standards and going how in hell we are going to meet this so that we can in fact get contacts in future. Yes they have money to pay developers wages.

Please note Mac OS and Windows pass more of the security standards than X11 server does so that means X11 server is dead. Yes the pain points that wayland shows XACE historic shows with X11 and reality the enterprise customers want the feature list that the old XACE proposed but then could not deliver.

Wayland objective is not somewhere easy.

Comment

Working...
      X