Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.22 Now Supports FreeSync/Adaptive-Sync On Wayland, GPU Hot-Plugging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    I've never manged to make SDDM work. Just for fun installed it a few days ago in F34 - it refuses to log me in. Any other login manager works, just not SDDM.

Oh, and to be honest Wayland is still focking broken. Again, speaking of Fedora 34 which contains the freshest packages available: I've installed Weston + ran native Wayland Firefox (MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1) under it. It shows popups (e.g. bookmarks) outside of the screen. It shows the titlebar by default under Weston and I couldn't hide it. God, how and why people continue to defend Wayland is beyond me.
    There is something really messed up about your setup. That complete list of faults with Firefox with Fedora 34 I have none of them. Yes that is weston and firefox with Wayland enabled.

Comment

Good news, having Freesync available is big step for me because i need it for gaming on my Kubuntu-setup. Lets hope that KDE Plasma 5.22 will be released through the Kubuntu Backports ppa so i don't have to wait until Kubuntu 21.10 will be released later this year to try it. Another thing that needs to be fixed for me is Thunderbirds behaviour when it runs on Plasma Wayland. The application is completely messed up when running on Wayland. Firefox on the other hand works without problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post

There is a saying, each situation is it's own isolated situation because of the variables. You can either accept that you installed it wrong and accept that other people are using Wayland successfully as their daily driver or just ignore people using it and believing that everyone else failed to install Wayland like you did.
        I "installed it wrong"? Really?? Are you out of your focking mind? Why a situation like this never occurs under decent operating systems like Windows, MacOS, iOS and Android? Why under Linux I have to install something properly? Oh, god. Why do I have to run Firefox with MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 in the first place for f's sake? How many users are aware of this environment flag? How many are capable of even using it? A focking year of Linux on the desktop. LMAO.

"Fock broken outdated insecure X.org", oh, wait, do we have a working replacement for it? Fock no! LMAO

Comment

well,,, now i want wayland... hope to switch to it with 5.22
          thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

There is something really messed up about your setup. That complete list of faults with Firefox with Fedora 34 I have none of them. Yes that is weston and firefox with Wayland enabled.
            Don´t get me wrong, I want Wayland to succeed, not least because X has so many hacks to make it work on modern hardware and problems with security that it is already way past its time, but Wayland was created on wrong premises about why X was slow, wrong about what should be fundamental objects (hint: never should be primarily about pixmaps, any modern hardware handles important objects natively, like geometric entities and things like that), and wrong again about the need to establish a central development library that 10+ years later it still is plagued with cracks.

Yes, the boat already sailed, the result of this is:-
            - we have many duplicated efforts from different DE groups to provide BASIC functionalities (things that should be there from the "beginning");
            - there is no efficient way to have remote desktops, what Windows has had since RDP start;
            - developers still don't have a clear way to support it (i.e., you must pick things from one DE group or look for minimal common denominator between them).

The only reason it is not declared a failure after 10+ years is because its alternative has more problems than it has (and because people invested a lot of time on a flawed path), but the alternative also has more capabilities.

Not saying it should be dumped, but clearly, it needs reforms already even before it can be labeled ready.
            Last edited by acobar; 01 May 2021, 09:11 AM.

Comment

I urge KDE and Kubuntu developers to enable Wayland & PipeWire by default in 21.10 so that we can reach the possibility of having a stable and modern infrastructure in 22.04 LTS and not wait another 3 years to make it happen.

BTW these kind of strategic decisions should be planned and realized ASAP and right after an LTS. Common sense.

Comment

oiaohm

I have you BL'ed for a reason. You continue to defend Wayland even though I can reproduce critical issues with it right focking now. I refuse to deal with people who shut their ears and scream "it's your fault".
                • By default Firefox in Fedora 34 runs as an Xorg application and requires MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 to run natively (> 99% of people out there have no idea that it's necessary and how to enable it)
                • By default Firefox in Fedora 34 under Weston shows the title bar and I have no idea how to disable it
                • By default Firefox in Fedora 34 shows certain menus outside of screen under a Wayland session. E.g. I have the "Other Bookmarks" button in the rightmost part of the bookmarks bar and when you click it only half the window which pop ups on the screen is visible - this is not an issue under X.org.
                If you're interested I can record a video and show it. Though I won't as I don't want to waste my time proving something which can be reproduced in a split second. I don't think I require too much from Wayland which has been "by all measures ready to replace X.org for three years now".

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
                I urge KDE and Kubuntu developers to enable Wayland & PipeWire by default in 21.10 so that we can reach the possibility of having a stable and modern infrastructure in 22.04 LTS and not wait another 3 years to make it happen.

BTW these kind of strategic decisions should be planned and realized ASAP and right after an LTS. Common sense.
                Stable and modern? LMAO.

Comment

I have you BL'ed for a reason. You continue to defend Wayland even though I can reproduce critical issues with it right focking now. I refuse to deal with people who shut their ears and scream "it's your fault".
                  • By default Firefox in Fedora 34 runs as an Xorg application and requires MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 to run natively (> 99% of people out there have no idea that it's necessary and how to enable it)
                  • By default Firefox in Fedora 34 under Weston shows the title bar and I have no idea how to disable it
                  • By default Firefox in Fedora 34 shows certain menus outside of screen under a Wayland session. E.g. I have the "Other Bookmarks" button in the rightmost part of the bookmarks bar and when you click it only half the window which pop ups on the screen is visible - this is not an issue under X.org.
                  If you're interested I can record a video and show it. Though I won't as I don't want to waste my time proving something which can be reproduced in a split second. I don't think I require too much from Wayland which has been "by all measures ready to replace X.org for three years now".
                  • https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1543600 They will enable it by default when they think it is ready. Got quite active there in the last month. Did not have problems with it and the xwayland version works fine too.
                  • Hamburger menu -> Customize toolbar -> [ ]Title bar (to disable that title bar in firefox)
                  • Did not even know that anyone would use the Wayland reference compositor Weston. Can't reproduce this on Arch with firefox nighly+release on weston, sway and KDE plasma.
                  Yeah make a video and report a bug if you are sure that it is no problem with your installation.

Comment

Running Firefox in Weston

Comment

Originally posted by autechy View Post

Um, what?

"Weston is the reference implementation of a Wayland compositor, as well as a useful environment in and of itself"

Sorry, Wayland offers only two complete DEs, KDE 5 and Gnome, and I hate them both. KDE 3.5.10 was excellent but KDE 5 looks and behaves quite differently. XFCE is a better KDE than KDE 5 itself.

Comment

Working...
                      X