Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.22 Now Supports FreeSync/Adaptive-Sync On Wayland, GPU Hot-Plugging

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • KDE Plasma 5.22 Now Supports FreeSync/Adaptive-Sync On Wayland, GPU Hot-Plugging

    Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.22 Now Supports FreeSync/Adaptive-Sync On Wayland, GPU Hot-Plugging

    KDE developers certainly closed out April on a high note with some big ticket additions...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...22-Wayland-VRR

  • #2
    Amazing changes, but how about fixing screen management to work again? For me it's mostly working on X, but if I forget and hibernate ot on one screen layout (eg. docking station with 2 monitors in the office) and I wake it up in different conditions (external screen in home) it's soooo confused. I mostly end up with rebooting and setting it up again. On Wayland though this is way worse. There's no "main screen" and it moves my panel where it decides, not moving it back, even trolling me when I try to do it on my own. I sometimes end up with no panel, I have to connect the screen back again, move it on my own and then disconnect with hope it won't move onto nonexisting screen. Seems like I'm stuck with Wayland on the machine (X simply breaks when I try to go [email protected] on the TV) so I look for the alternative until Plasma is fixed.

    Comment


    • #3
      Unbelievable. KDE managed to add Freesync support to Wayland before GNOME. That's nice.

      Comment


      • #4
        If Wayland is so cool, why there are no native graphical display/login managers for it other than GDK? I refuse to install it 'cause it has an enormous number of dependencies.

        Comment


        • #5
          I was reading the blog and, slightly related to fullscreen KHelpCenter, their Help Documentation in general needs a refresher; maybe a different font. I'm not sure how the font works on their help documentation, I just know that there's weird spacing/kerning on my system as well as I noticed a few typos. I opened it up for the first time day before yesterday after I got my 2nd COVID shot...then I went to the kdesrc-build documentation and noticed that portions of it could be updated. That's as far as I got before the shot's blah kicked in and I switched over to napping and movies.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by birdie View Post
            If Wayland is so cool, why there are no native graphical display/login managers for it other than GDK? I refuse to install it 'cause it has an enormous number of dependencies.
            It's because others were dumb like you and started adapting to Wayland later.

            Comment


            • #7
              I've been waiting for FreeSync support a long time, fantastic news :-) Hope it removes some stuttering issues when playing games in XWayland!

              And it is nice that the virtual keyboard support gets improved on Wayland. Hope it works now out of the box, so far the experience just got worse in the last releases and maliit setup was not integrated at all.

              Hope wacom input devices will be supported soon on Wayland too https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=426581.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by birdie View Post
                If Wayland is so cool, why there are no native graphical display/login managers for it other than GDK? I refuse to install it 'cause it has an enormous number of dependencies.
                Support in SDDM is in work https://github.com/sddm/sddm/pull/1379
                And seems like greetd should be a lightweight alternative https://git.sr.ht/~kennylevinsen/greetd

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Toggleton View Post

                  Support in SDDM is in work https://github.com/sddm/sddm/pull/1379
                  And seems like greetd should be a lightweight alternative https://git.sr.ht/~kennylevinsen/greetd
                  I've never manged to make SDDM work. Just for fun installed it a few days ago in F34 - it refuses to log me in. Any other login manager works, just not SDDM.

                  Oh, and to be honest Wayland is still focking broken. Again, speaking of Fedora 34 which contains the freshest packages available: I've installed Weston + ran native Wayland Firefox (MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1) under it. It shows popups (e.g. bookmarks) outside of the screen. It shows the titlebar by default under Weston and I couldn't hide it. God, how and why people continue to defend Wayland is beyond me.
                  Last edited by birdie; 01 May 2021, 07:22 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by birdie View Post

                    I've never manged to make SDDM work. Just for fun installed it a few days ago in F34 - it refuses to log me in. Any other login manager works, just not SDDM.

                    Oh, and to be honest Wayland is still focking broken. Again, speaking of Fedora 34 which contains the freshest packages available: I've installed Weston + ran native Wayland Firefox (MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1) under it. It shows popups (e.g. bookmarks) outside of the screen. It shows the titlebar by default under Weston and I couldn't hide it. God, how and why people continue to defend Wayland is beyond me.
                    There is a saying, each situation is it's own isolated situation because of the variables. You can either accept that you installed it wrong and accept that other people are using Wayland successfully as their daily driver or just ignore people using it and believing that everyone else failed to install Wayland like you did.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X