Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.22 Now Supports FreeSync/Adaptive-Sync On Wayland, GPU Hot-Plugging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    A whole lot wrong with this...
    1. PipeWire very much is not stable. It's very promising, but it isn't stable. It absolutely should not yet be the default. I do agree that KDE needs better integration with it though.
    2. PW isn't suitable for everyone. It's fine for most people who just use stereo speakers, but for everyone else, it becomes lacking rather quickly. Ubuntu is meant to be accessible to the widest audience possible. PW is a good way to alienate users.
    3. PulseAudio is modern and stable. Having high CPU usage and poor latency doesn't detract from that.
    Pretty much agree with this. Wayland is getting pretty good these days and fit for default, but PipeWire (audio) is very early for being the default in any serious non-testbed distro (and Fedora is just that, a Red Hat testbed). I can see Pipewire audio becoming default in 2-3 years, but not now.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
      https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PipeWire/Examples
      This is kind of wrong. Pipewire itself is not really lacking in that department. What is lack is the details on distribution instructions how setup up surround sound right with pirewire at this stage. We had the same complaints when pulseaudio was being introduced that it only worked with stereo speakers as well exactly the same problem.
      You do realize that depends on PA, right?
      Like it or not 5.1 and 7.1 and so on requires configuration be it alsa, pulseaudio or pipewire. Yes there is a lag between introduction of a new feature and proper and complete documentation..
      5.1 is fairly easy in PA these days. Basically tweak a couple lines in config files, restart PA, and you're good to go.
      Configuration in and of itself isn't a problem. With plain ALSA, getting a proper 5.1 or 7.1 setup is absurdly difficult, largely because of the lack of proper documentation. With PW, it doesn't seem to inherently support it yet. I'm sure it will some day, and when it does, I'm sure it won't be difficult.

I'm not hating PW, I'm just saying it's not ready for widespread use.

Comment

You do realize that depends on PA, right?
        No that pipewire example using pactl is in fact pipewire being a pulseaudio server. So pulseaudio server not running and the pulseaudio configuration file for the server is not being read.

When I say documentation poor I am not kidding.

Everything they did in setup here with pactl commands written different could have been done in the pw-cli instead . Of course those writing distribution documentation are not writing that.

5.1 is fairly easy in PA these days. Basically tweak a couple lines in config files, restart PA, and you're good to go.
        The directions how todo this in the pipewire configuration files are lacking still not that the server cannot do it.

Yes if you put correct 5.1 configuration in the pipewire configuration files 5.1 will work. The problem here is not that pipewire cannot do 5.1 if you don't use pactl or pw-cli or jack commands or pipewire configuration files it not going work. Those prior PA configuration files are ignored so pipewire dropping you back to 2 channel because nothing is set to tell the pipewire server todo anything different.

As I said the problem is lack of good documentation more than pipewire cannot do it. Pipewire does 7.1 in fact is able to 28.4 that a scary horrible setup to assemble and configure.

pipewire has a documentation problem in surround sound setups more than server functionality problem.

Please note that documentation freedesktop I pointed to is not something you would find just by general going to pipewire site yet because its not prooffed for general users. Yes pipewire main project is critically short of documentation writers. So pipewire has a lot functionality and completely is missing the documentation how to use it. Yes the missing documentation is leading to people like you thinking particular functionality is missing when its not.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
          I was going to help birdie out but I kept reading more of his posts and decided against it. He will just trash me any ways.
          There's no need, I'm doing fine here but thanks for an attempt anyways Yes, I can be abrasive at times but it's only because people here drink too much Linux kool-aid. I prefer water.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            There's no need, I'm doing fine here but thanks for an attempt anyways Yes, I can be abrasive at times but it's only because people here drink too much Linux kool-aid. I prefer water.
            Please note SDDM on my debian system allows me to log into wayland sessions no problems yes I know it still using bare metal X11 server at this stage. GDM is what I would have to use for pure Wayland on testing tree debian.

There are particular bugs that don't have using the KDE as Wayland that I have using KDE as X11 as well.

birdie I really do suspect there is something odd about your setup. The failures you describe don't seam to add up. Its like you are intentionally trying to make it fail.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
              Unbelievable. KDE managed to add Freesync support to Wayland before GNOME. That's nice.
              Looks like its going to get DRM Leasing support first too, just waiting on the Wayland protocol to be accepted - VR on Wayland!
              This patch allows the compositor to offer connectors up for lease so that clients can use them directly by implementing https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland-protocols/-/merge_requests/67. As the...

Comment

i've had zero issues running gnome and wayland. i've been using firefox in wayland mode since i switched over to no issues. if you're having issues on weston then its probably a weston issue. try a stable DE like gnome. i know firefox uses gnome to test against for wayland.
                Last edited by fafreeman; 01 May 2021, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fafreeman View Post
                  i've had zero issues running gnome and wayland. i've been using firefox in wayland mode since i switched over to no issues. if you're having issues on weston then its probably a weston issue. try a stable DE like gnome. i know firefox uses gnome to test against for wayland.
                  Um, so there are good (proper) and bad (improper) DEs/WMs/Compositors for Wayland? Interesting. I've been under the impression that everything written for Wayland is sublime by default and works better than anything based on X.org.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    ...An IT pro with 20 years of experience...
                    This explains so much...

Comment

Originally posted by autechy View Post

Nothing. Keep talking stone man.
                      Heh, I'm picturing caveman Birdie complaining;

"When me make fire hand gets burnt! I hate fire!"
                      "Birdie, damnit, when you light the fire take your hands out."
                      "Fire is stupid. I test fire, burns every time. Me stick with rocks, banging rocks together safe."
                      "Okay man."
                      "Ow! Thumbs caught in rocks!"

Comment

Working...
                      X