No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 20.04 GNOME X.Org vs. Wayland Session Performance Impact For Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So looks like performance wise it's 99.9% of the way there including on Xwayland which is amazing. How's input lag though?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Did you just tell us that GNOME won and it should be the only desktop?!

It's enough. You are A FREAKING DISGRACE.

*sighs* No, you know what... I can't tolerate this. I am going to delete your post.
      Wow, it happened again. If you have to censor people because you're triggered, at least don't act so theatrically. It really paints a bad picture for the Phoronix forums. Both you and 144Hz often share useful information and links... and you are both strongly opinionated. That's good. Having strong opinions is a part of life, as long as they are truly your own and come from an adequate and reasonable amount of pondering.

A lot of people love your contributions. Stop getting at each other's throat, be it via subtle stabs (which can be rightfully mistaken for trolling attempts) or blatant attacks. Please.
      144Hz tildearrow

Also, what is up with moderation in these forums, in general? I came here to learn useful things such as: which MR didn't get into Mutter and why, what can we expect in the short term, and so on.

If you are all so passionate about flamewars, create the ultimate mega X.Org VS Wayland topic and stick to it. Don't pollute every other topic because of your inability to keep your protagonism in check.

Sincerely,
      everybody

Comment

Originally posted by royce View Post
        So looks like performance wise it's 99.9% of the way there including on Xwayland which is amazing. How's input lag though?
        horrible, impossible to play a real time game

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

horrible, impossible to play a real time game
          Yet more FUD.....

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
            Its embarrassing that after 15 years of development and millions spent, the supposedly superior wayland still cannot beat the "old and bloated X", not in performance or features.
            it's embatrassing how many clueless people are posting bullshit over internet. wayland beaten x11 many years ago, but not in "speed of routing x11 apps via x11 + wayland vs just x11"(yet)

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Yet more FUD.....
              not really, I'm saying the true, simply like that, if you want to play Xorg is the only alternative. Wayland is not ready for gaming is not hate or something

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
                If we pause the flamewars a bit, which games have you been able to get running with SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland?
                Most Linux native SDL games should in theory work in this mode, if you have new enough libSDL.
                The libSDL in Steam doesn't have the wayland backend compiled in though I guess.

I tried running Jupiter Hell from Steam with SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland by copying in a newer libSDL and that seemed to work!
                That sounds great! Could you share what you mean by "copying in a newer libSDL"? You mean substituting it in the Steam runtime? I thought older versions of SDL2 could detect newer system-wide versions and hook into them, but I'm not sure since when exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  It's not like GNOME is the master and the rest are slaves, OK?!
                  but it's not wayland's fault if your desktop sucks either

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Running Ubuntu 20.04. I don't know what you mean by "syncing output on input". As I said, I know that the lag problem exists in some cases, but it's not pervasive and not something that is inherent to Wayland. Under Wayland, both screen compositing and input processing are handled by the same process (unlike how it's done on X11) so it comes down to that process' implementation, the protocol is not involved in this. With X11 you *HAD THE IMPRESSION* that there never was a lag problem because pointer movement was handled by the X server which made it responsive regardless of how garbage the compositor was - but only the mouse pointer, not reacting to actual events. Early Wayland compositors such as Gnome Shell were ports of X11 compositors, which obviously didn't fare well (not properly multithreaded etc).

My only real-world experience with Wayland is with GNOME, until 3.32 reactivity and lag were (occasionally) a problem, by 3.34 it had improved substantially, on 3.36 it's better than it has ever been with a composited X11 desktop and on 3.36 with RR enabled is as close to perfection as it gets.
                    You have my attention. Could you share how you enabled RR scheduling?
                    The only useful mention I could find with a quick DDG search is in this page on Arch Linux' bug tracker. Is this correct?
                    Code:
                    gsettings set org.gnome.mutter experimental-features "['rt-scheduler']"

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                      From the start was Wayland given credit for becoming the better, securer and faster windowing system. And after 10 years are we still not seeing it.
                      because you are looking at x11(xwayland) instead of wayland. smartphones are using wayland since 2013, how do x11 smartphones fare?
                      Originally posted by sdack View Post
                      It then didn't take 10 years to develop DXVK
                      dxvk isn't a protocol. relevant protocols are dx11 and vulkan. so, how many years and developers did it take? and btw dxvk doesn't work without wine, so you could add it too

Comment

Working...
                      X