Ubuntu 20.04 GNOME X.Org vs. Wayland Session Performance Impact For Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Ugh come on... What about if I want to change my display resolution, screen orientation or position?

What a dumb idea :l
    globally? it shouldn't be possible for random app to screw up my display, just go in your de settings and change it
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    I never knew there were that many clipboards...
    that's the main problem with people crying on forums. they usually don't know much
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Except that Mutter does not implement it as mentioned before in this thread.
    mutter doesn't implement font rendering or graphics primitives either, it's not its job.
    but i can educate you on ssd:
    first, wanting to have titile bar to be de-like, but rest of window to be de-unlike is really stupid idea not worth time of intelligent beings.
    second, if you have nothing else to do and still want your window be different from your titlebar, you don't need wayland server for it. just like you don't need wayland server to print letters or triangles. use some library, which will have plugins for different de styles of titlebars. plugins can even live in respective de repos. it doesn't exist yet? then stop posting bullshit and start doing something useful ffs

Comment

• Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post

Try to play TF2 with a AMD GPU (mine is the RX570) using Wayland and see the disaster. Don't forget to disable vsync.
      FWIW, disabling sync-to-vblank is likely the problem here, and fullscreen unredirect (direct scanout of client buffers) should help. (The same issue should affect Xorg as well with page flipping disabled, apart from the HW cursor maybe)

The issue is that an unthrottled client can starve the display server's GPU work, causing the compositor's frames to be delayed. Fixing this will be surprisingly tricky and require the kernel and Mesa drivers to provide a way for the compositor's work to be prioritized and finish ahead of the client's GPU work, even if the GPU has already started processing the latter.

Comment

• Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        Fact is when X11 was exactly as old as wayland is -RIGHT NOW- xorg was already forked from xfree86 and heavily developed
        fact is, wayland is 12 years old, it started in 2008. xorg forked after license change in 2004, 17 years after x11 and 20 years after x started. fact is, you are pathetic liar
        Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        Need I keep going? I can keep laying facts down
        you can keep lying, but it will not change reality

Comment

• Damn forum software... double post.

Comment

I talking about GAMES. Try to play TF2 with a AMD GPU (mine is the RX570) using Wayland and see the disaster. Don't forget to disable vsync.
            lol. that's self-inflicted pain. you are deliberately making your game produce frames nobody can see because monitor is not fast enough. why do you do such stupid things to yourself?

Comment

• Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

The games use X11. XWayland is used to run them on the Wayland session.

I wish Michael could test with Wayland-native games...
              Are there any Wayland-native games? And if there are any, do people actually play them?

Comment

• Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                Anyway regardless of whether or not you personally notice it, it's most definitely there for certain
                if it's there on your system but not on other systems then it's your fault
                Last edited by pal666; 03-31-2020, 03:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrRtd View Post
                  Are there any Wayland-native games? And if there are any, do people actually play them?
                  sdl is wayland-native, so any sdl game which doesn't link to x11 itself

Comment

• Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    lol. that's self-inflicted pain. you are deliberately making your game produce frames nobody can see because monitor is not fast enough. why do you do such stupid things to yourself?
                    Are you retard? Nobody plays a fucking competitive game locked at 60 frames. Stop talking shit!

Comment

Are you retard? Nobody plays a fucking competitive game locked at 60 frames. Stop talking shit!
                      Don't mind him too much, he's just stupid. He has no clue that every other display protocol except for wayland syncs output on input and that 60fps isn't a high enough input resolution. These fools think that a 50ms+ lag is ok just cause they don't notice it ...
                      Last edited by duby229; 03-31-2020, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X