Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 20.04 GNOME X.Org vs. Wayland Session Performance Impact For Gaming

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ubuntu 20.04 GNOME X.Org vs. Wayland Session Performance Impact For Gaming

    Phoronix: Ubuntu 20.04 GNOME X.Org vs. Wayland Session Performance Impact For Gaming

    In the past using the Wayland-based GNOME Shell session and other Wayland compositors has generally resulted in a performance hit in going through (X)Wayland but that is much less so these days. Here are some initial benchmarks of Ubuntu 20.04 running various Steam Linux gaming benchmarks both under the default X.Org-based session and then again when using the Wayland session and its (X)Wayland support.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=29015

  • #2
    So basically no difference..

    Comment


    • #3
      Too bad https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte...e_requests/798 didn't make it into 3.36 (partly because of a Xwayland bug) - after it lands things should be equal at last. With the ongoing atomic mode-setting work, we might see hardware plane usage in 3.38 - giving the Wayland backend an edge over the X11 one.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: Ubuntu 20.04 GNOME X.Org vs. Wayland Session Performance Impact For Gaming

        In the past using the Wayland-based GNOME Shell session and other Wayland compositors has generally resulted in a performance hit in going through (X)Wayland but that is much less so these days. Here are some initial benchmarks of Ubuntu 20.04 running various Steam Linux gaming benchmarks both under the default X.Org-based session and then again when using the Wayland session and its (X)Wayland support.

        http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=29015
        One thing that is hard to see in these graphs is the heavy stuttering under wayland + very high input lag and cursor stuttering making it unusable

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          So basically no difference..

          Originally posted by treba View Post
          Too bad https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte...e_requests/798 didn't make it into 3.36 (partly because of a Xwayland bug) - after it lands things should be equal at last. With the ongoing atomic mode-setting work, we might see hardware plane usage in 3.38 - giving the Wayland backend an edge over the X11 one.
          Its embarrassing that after 15 years of development and millions spent, the supposedly superior wayland still cannot beat the "old and bloated X", not in performance or features.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 240Hz View Post




            Its embarrassing that after 15 years of development and millions spent, the supposedly superior wayland still cannot beat the "old and bloated X", not in performance or features.
            I don't think you know anything about either X or Wayland.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 240Hz View Post

              One thing that is hard to see in these graphs is the heavy stuttering under wayland + very high input lag and cursor stuttering making it unusable
              Except that full-screen unredirection mitigates the problem for full-screen apps.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Britoid View Post

                I don't think you know anything about either X or Wayland.
                Where is my wlrandr?
                My wdotool?
                Wayland capture? (let me propose a name: wsnoop)
                A standard non-GNOME-specific way to have clipboard?
                SSD for Wayland apps?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 240Hz View Post




                  Its embarrassing that after 15 years of development and millions spent, the supposedly superior wayland still cannot beat the "old and bloated X", not in performance or features.
                  This is basically running X11 games under wayland.
                  DOH!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

                    Where is my wlrandr?
                    My wdotool?
                    Wayland capture? (let me propose a name: wsnoop)
                    A standard non-GNOME-specific way to have clipboard?
                    SSD for Wayland apps?
                    Where is my font rendering?
                    My primitive rendering?
                    My Wprint? Seriously, Wayland can't do fax?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X