Linux File Systems for Windows: Use EXT4 / XFS / Btrfs On Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kaszak View Post
    NTFS-3g is going to be dead last cuz it's FUSE-based.
    I would not be too sure of that. https://www.usenix.org/system/files/...17-vangoor.pdf this was a review of Fuse based overhead.
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And phoronix has done WSL vs Linux on hardware. The performance difference for IO is large enough that some benchmarks NTFS-3G under Linux could be beating NTFS under Windows.

Windows is not the best optimised operating system out there.

Comment

Originally posted by audi100quattro View Post
      Is there something for cryptsetup on windows? possibly through WSL? I've looked various times in the past only to come up empty. Almost all storage I have requires cryptsetup luksOpen first, so...
      I don't see why cryptsetup wouldn't work through cygwin?

Or you could mount the storage on a proper linux box with cryptsetup, then share it with Windows using Samba.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

I would not be too sure of that. https://www.usenix.org/system/files/...17-vangoor.pdf this was a review of Fuse based overhead.
        Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And phoronix has done WSL vs Linux on hardware. The performance difference for IO is large enough that some benchmarks NTFS-3G under Linux could be beating NTFS under Windows.

Windows is not the best optimised operating system out there.
        Windows is not the best optimized OS out there, because its special linux subsystem runs linux software slower than real linux does. Nice logic. In that case, linux distributions aren't the best optimized OS out there, because wine runs windows programs slower than real windows does.

Conclusion: MS-DOS wins.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
          Windows is not the best optimized OS out there, because its special linux subsystem runs linux software slower than real linux does. Nice logic. In that case, linux distributions aren't the best optimized OS out there, because wine runs windows programs slower than real windows does.
          http://www.tuxradar.com/content/benc...a-vs-windows-7
          The WSL disc benchmarks out performed native win32 and win64 for disc IO performance in a lot of cases as well. This is what gets interesting some programs run faster under Wine than under windows because they depend on something that Windows does badly this can be a lot of disc reads.

So like it or not Windows is not the best optimised OS out there so it would be interesting to see windows native ntfs face off against fuse ntfs-3g as there is a good chance that particular benchmarks windows will lose to the fuse implementation..

Comment

Originally posted by kaszak View Post
            NTFS-3g is going to be dead last cuz it's FUSE-based.
            Last I heard, NTFS-3g outperformed Windows native NTFS.

Comment

Normally I wouldn't be endorsing proprietary software, but if you're going to run Windows anyway, you might as well send the good folks at Paragon some dosh for what are probably good quality implementations of these filesystems, if you need such a thing.

Comment

Performance tests would be welcome.

Comment

I think I remember tests showing btrfs was faster through this windows paragon setup than native linux. Like when running a scrub.

Comment

Why no mention of www.ext2fsd.com? That's an actual open source FS driver for Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

first
                      Conclusion: MS-DOS wins.
                      Nah. MS-DOS doesn't run windows programs at all. You need to run windows first (win.exe).

Seriously, in a lot of benchmarks on this site windows wins from linux when it does things its own way (directx vs. opengl). But from a users pov it is always slow, and slows down further over time. I think it is actually the junk applications, virus scanner, auto-updater etc. slowing it down, not a lack of optimization.

Comment

Working...
                      X