Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 20.04 Linux Performance On The AMD Ryzen 7 4700U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Extinguish: Now that Windows is faster than Linux, there would be no incentive to use Linux anymore.
    Provided that I am sure that the performances under these workloads will improve, if Linux as an ecosystem shouldn't be able to keep up with Windows, than it would be a sign that some things had to change

Comment

Extinguish: Now that Windows is faster than Linux, there would be no incentive to use Linux anymore.
      I've often wondered why all the speed nerds around here aren't running BeOS or running realtime kernels on embedded OS's or writing their own OS's in assembly language instead of running these bloated GNU/Linux distros with their bloated DEs. It's like watching a bunch of degenerate gamblers betting on hippopotamus races and screaming at the hippos to run faster. They can only run so fast - they are hippos. GNU/Linux distros were overweight when you could fit them on a 600mb CD in 2003, and they haven't done anything but gain weight since then.

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post

Speed is just one of many factors to use an OS.
        Here are a few reasons to use Linux:[*]You are in control of your OS.
        ...yeah, as long as you are forced to learn to use the terminal and edit text files.

[*]Open source and standards makes it easy for any one to hack on their OS.
        Does Average Joe care?

[*]Freedom to customize your OS to your liking.
        ditto of first point

[*]Fantastic toolchains and editors to program apps in almost any language you might like.
        ditto of first point

[*]A great community for support.
        As long as you are a developer.

[*]Linux runs on everything from emdedded to high performance hardware on a variety of cpu architectures.
        Does this really matter? Is this something Average Joe cares about?

[*]Great driver support out of the box.
        ...yeah, sure. For some other hardware, you're out of luck.

[*]A large amount of open and closed source software for creativity in audio, vidio, graphics and office related tasks.
        Tell me where is:
        - Microsoft Office
        - Adobe Photoshop and Premiere
        - Cubase, FL Studio and the like

Comment

Big surprise here (no).

Unfortunately, AMD's efforts on power and core/clock management with Linux are not just lacking, they are literally nonexistent. Problem is, this is the area that matters a huge deal with Zen2 due to their asymmetric nature and will only matter more in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
            Windows 10 breaks some of the most important things for me in terms of usability: the UI.

They continue to obfuscate things that you might be looking at (hide extensions means someone will think they've downloaded and opened Meme.jpg but it's actually Meme.exe) and break things like the Start Menu.

It is mind boggling just how unresponsive and unreliable a square-shaped single colour panel takes so long to display icons based on an index, let alone how many times it will randomly select something on the start menu so when I type into it, nothing happens.
            Both the things you refer to can be changed easily. Gnome's ui is far worse in many aspects

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
              Windows 10 breaks some of the most important things for me in terms of usability: the UI.

They continue to obfuscate things that you might be looking at (hide extensions means someone will think they've downloaded and opened Meme.jpg but it's actually Meme.exe) and break things like the Start Menu.

It is mind boggling just how unresponsive and unreliable a square-shaped single colour panel takes so long to display icons based on an index, let alone how many times it will randomly select something on the start menu so when I type into it, nothing happens.
              https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu works beautifully.

...yeah, as long as you are forced to learn to use the terminal and edit text files.

Tell me where is:
              - Microsoft Office
              The funny thing about his reply is that Linux works beautifully everywhere except where it matters and it's needed most: on the desktop.

Comment

Hi tildearrow

So?

Does Average Joe care?
                Probably not. But so what?

As long as you are a developer.
                Yes. So?

Does this really matter? Is this something Average Joe cares about?
                Probably not. But so what?

...yeah, sure. For some other hardware, you're out of luck.
                The only OS that has better hardware support is Windows. But mostly on x86 platform.
                Considering the size of the userbase Linux has fantastic support on most laptops and desktops.

Tell me where is:
                - Microsoft Office
                There are good alternatives.

Comment

[*]Great driver support out of the box.[*]A large amount of open and closed source software for creativity in audio, vidio, graphics and office related tasks.
                  Driver support under Linux is ... let's say far from perfect as indicated ... by the very article we're discussing. I mean if the CPU doesn't work perfectly under Linux what else is left to discuss? And don't get me started on GPU drivers in Linux which is one major pain. Compare the features of the AMD Radeon Adrenalin drivers under Windows and what we have under Linux.
                  • Monitoring? Barely anything.
                  • Onscreen overlay/HUD? Hardly anything.
                  • Overclocking/downclocing? Welcome console.
                  • A fan curve? Don't get me started how horribly bad this feature is implemented under Linux.
                  • Zero RPM on/off? Not supported.
                  • Game recording and streaming? Not supported.
                  • Games profiles? Not supported.
                  The only piece of equipment which works in Linux close to 100% is the NIC, though to be fair various offload features are often not available in Linux but that's not a big concern for average users.

And speaking of "creativity in audio, vidio, graphics and office related tasks." - you must be joking, right? The Adobe/Sony/Corel suites are missing entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post
                    Is Firefox on Linux VS Windows fair? Doesn't it use the new RebRender on Windows? Or did you disable it?
                    It is completely fair if Firefox lags on Linux it isn't Windows fault.

What I find interesting here is the number of "wins" windows has. Considering my previous experience with Ryzen mobile I suspect that it is a question of the distro catching up with the hardware. I'm running Fedora which is sort of bleeding edge and my "all AMD desktop" has gotten significantly better over the last few weeks as drivers and other software improves. It would be interesting to see this same set of tests with Mesa in about a month or two (with a new kernel).

Comment

Hi birdie

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                      Driver support under Linux is ... let's say far from perfect as indicated ... by the very article we're discussing.
                      I did not indicate perfect driver support.
                      As this article also points out, the driver support is normally so good that Linux beats windows.

I mean if the CPU doesn't work perfectly under Linux what else is left to discuss?
                      Quite a bit it appears.
                      This is still early support. And AMD has a tendency to improve their drivers on linux after initial release.

And don't get me started on GPU drivers in Linux which is one major pain. Compare the features of the AMD Radeon Adrenalin drivers under Windows and what we have under Linux.
                      GPU drivers are working better than ever before.
                      And in general you can run linux software on most Nvidia and AMD hardware.

• Monitoring? Barely anything.
                      • Onscreen overlay/HUD? Hardly anything.
                      • Overclocking/downclocing? Welcome console.
                      • A fan curve? Don't get me started how horribly bad this feature is implemented under Linux.
                      • Zero RPM on/off? Not supported.
                      • Game recording and streaming? Not supported.
                      • Games profiles? Not supported.
                      The only piece of equipment which works in Linux close to 100% is the NIC, though to be fair various offload features are often not available in Linux but that's not a big concern for average users.
                      Name a non windows platform that has better general hardware support than linux.

And speaking of "creativity in audio, vidio, graphics and office related tasks." - you must be joking, right? The Adobe/Sony/Corel suites are missing entirely.
                      There are good alternatives.
                      Last edited by pracedru; 21 May 2020, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X