X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vegabook View Post

Can you elaborate?
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Se..._and_server.3F

Before 12.04, Ubuntu server installs a server-optimized kernel by default. Since 12.04, there is no difference in kernel between Ubuntu Desktop and Ubuntu Server since linux-image-server is merged into linux-image-generic.
    I no longer use Ubuntu, so I can't easily check what exactly they've changed, but they lowered responsiveness for sure.
    Last edited by Volta; 21 May 2020, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzeKPiwEfXk

2. My father's computer was in the same "good shape" ...but he only used MS office....never installed anything, no internet..... I'm not sure if this can be considered as "using a computer". Thats like using a car only on sundays and never drving faster then 80km/h.
      1. And? It's still better than having no protection when you can accidentally run any exe from the net with a single click. In Linux ... don't get me started on Linux where you have a package manager and ... basically nothing. So much freedom, right?
      2. Absolute most users nowadays are served just fine with a single application called ... web-browser. So either take it or leave it. The users who screw up their Windows installs usually install a ton of crap which has nothing to do with driving on Sundays or slower than 80km/h (which is actually a great thing to do because it saves you and saves others from you). I guess you love driving at 80mph and wrecking everything.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        And missing they can remain. Again not everybody has the same use case and can get by perfectly well with the Linux solutions. Interestingly on Mac your AMD GPU drivers have few features at all and you know what nobody cares over there. I never understood the need to strive for parity with Windows when we are talking about features few if any would use.
        Who doesn't love drawing polygons in GIMP using the select and fill tools?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

1. Windows Defender has been consistently on top of the charts for the past 2 years no, so there's no need to install an AV in W10.
          2. Windows get slower only if you use it recklessly and install all sorts of crap all the time. I've had people use Windows for up to 10 years without any visible or perceptivable slow downs.
          That's another lol, sorry. On top of what? Zero day exploits? Anyone with Windows 10 is most probably infected and it doesn't matter if they had defender on and updates on and kept the machine running to keep updating. There were so many of them for such long periods of time most people's machines are now property of <insert name here> botnet.

It's ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post
            Big surprise here (no).

Unfortunately, AMD's efforts on power and core/clock management with Linux are not just lacking, they are literally nonexistent. Problem is, this is the area that matters a huge deal with Zen2 due to their asymmetric nature and will only matter more in the future.
            At launch the 3900x was faster on Linux than Windows, so it's not Zen 2 as such, but perhaps there is more tweaking of thermal management with the mobile chip. One thing is for sure: if kernel developers start using these 4000 CPUs, the kernel will improve.

Comment

In our company where Window 10 is used for all common computing tasks on about 7000 computers (mainly laptops), I can only confirm that after using Windows 10 for any length of time, it gets slower and slower. Yes when a new laptop or desktop is rolled out it is fast and responsive. This changes however after the machine has been in use for a few weeks. More so if several people have been using it for several weeks. There are strict policies so users cannot install any piece of random software.
              So what causes these slowdowns? Could it be the ever growing user profiles? The endless streams of cumulative Windows updates? The steady increase of information sent to Microsoft? The always expanding Windows registry? The NTFS filesystem? All of these plus more?
              But still, Windows 10 is a serious performance upgrade over the previously used Windows 7, so most of our users do not really complain.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

They probably don't have to deal with broken ACPI or some other shit.
                ACPI was deliberately made a mess by Gates,

“It seems unfortunate if we do this work and get our partners to do the work and the result is that Linux works great without having to do the work”

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post

That's another lol, sorry. On top of what? Zero day exploits? Anyone with Windows 10 is most probably infected and it doesn't matter if they had defender on and updates on and kept the machine running to keep updating. There were so many of them for such long periods of time most people's machines are now property of <insert name here> botnet.

It's ridiculous.
                  I've seen BS on Phoronix but yours is just ridiculous. W10 by default is more secure than Linux: W10 on average has 20-50 times fewer vulnerabilities than Linux, W10 supports secure UEFI out of the box vs most Linux distros which require secure boot to be disabled. Lastly W10 is used by CIA, NSA, FBI, military and the US government.

You're out of your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

I've seen BS on Phoronix but yours is just ridiculous. W10 by default is more secure than Linux: W10 on average has 20-50 times fewer vulnerabilities than Linux, W10 supports secure UEFI out of the box vs most Linux distros which require secure boot to be disabled. Lastly W10 is used by CIA, NSA, FBI, military and the US government.

You're out of your mind.
                    Windows is insecure by design. It's a fact. There's a spyware running on the fresh Windows install. There are dozens of spying services provided by Microsoft. Even if you're ok with that I can only imagine possibilities of exploiting this mess. Windows bug reports and especially security ones are meaningless in comparison to Linux. There are less of them, because nearly nobody checks Windows code. From an obvious reason of course. By default Linux is far more secure. Don't let me even start where Linux is being used. Linux runs mission critical systems from Stock Exchange to military submarines. CIA, FBI use Windows on desktops. Maybe for exploiting your Windows installations.

Comment

looks like linux is slowed down by firefox

Comment

Working...
                      X