No announcement yet.

Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 20.04 Linux Performance On The AMD Ryzen 7 4700U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could give some examples of Windows uses in the army, but I'm always laughing at them. You motivate me to ruin their dreams about security. It will be very costly, but that's a price for using such insecure mess. They're also using Intel CPUs and Windows don't provide full mitigations. Thankfully, I'm talking about average military Joe's and their 'secure' networks. More serious stock is a different story.
    Last edited by Volta; 22 May 2020, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

1. And? It's still better than having no protection when you can accidentally run any exe from the net with a single click. In Linux ... don't get me started on Linux where you have a package manager and ... basically nothing. So much freedom, right?
      2. Absolute most users nowadays are served just fine with a single application called ... web-browser. So either take it or leave it. The users who screw up their Windows installs usually install a ton of crap which has nothing to do with driving on Sundays or slower than 80km/h (which is actually a great thing to do because it saves you and saves others from you). I guess you love driving at 80mph and wrecking everything.
      1. Exactly I dont have a AV checking my stuff on the fly running. And yeah linux is great you can git clone a repo /download a tar snapshot and then build it with make/ninja and than run it with a less privileged user....great isn't it?
      2. Absolute most users nowadays are not using a computer anymore - Smartphone it is. For what you are trying to point out a PC is already a overkill.
      Have you ever installed Autodesk Inventor, Catia or some Matlabstuff ....or worse Labview ....those stuff is litteraly molesting your windows installation. Is it crap? Well I will let you judge about this expensive professional software.
      Im not speaking about 80mp/h there is a huge difference I know metric system is new to some US Citizens. To help you out it is 49.7097mp/h.

Comment

I've seen BS on Phoronix but yours is just ridiculous. W10 by default is more secure than Linux: W10 on average has 20-50 times fewer vulnerabilities than Linux, W10 supports secure UEFI out of the box vs most Linux distros which require secure boot to be disabled. Lastly W10 is used by CIA, NSA, FBI, military and the US government.

You're out of your mind.
        I think a plain Linux Kernel is more secure then a fullblown W10 Desktop system. That is what Linux basically is ...just the Kernel. What you mostlikely wanted to say is "Distribution" and here we can have anything between super secure to well bad confiured. Please specify more your claim.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...x_adopters#U.S.

The United States Department of Defense uses Linux - "the U.S. Army is the single largest installed base for Red Hat Linux"[32] and the US Navy nuclear submarine fleet runs on Linux,[33] including their sonar systems.[34]

I got more and more the impression that you have never used any linux distro?

You know that NSA is contributing cryptocode to the Kernel? ...I guess you also know that the NSA was implementing SELinux patches? So they wouldn't do that if they would not use it and or if Windows would be superior.

Besides the fact that you have to us a AV says everything.

Comment

this whole discussion is so broken.
          In a sane world results like this would not trigger people so much, but investigations to fix things.

Comment

Originally posted by pmorph View Post
            this whole discussion is so broken.
            In a sane world results like this would not trigger people so much, but investigations to fix things.
            Haha true, but it so reminds me of the golden old days of flamewars! The nostalgia intensifies

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              Your wallpaper is a picture of a dirty garage wall Michael? I should become a professional wallpaper artist, I'd make a fortune.
              And haters keep saying Linux distros can't provide nice wallpapers... Well, looks like Lenovo doesn't do any better on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post
                Is Firefox on Linux VS Windows fair? Doesn't it use the new RebRender on Windows? Or did you disable it?
                Right. The Average Joe is going to buy a Windows laptop, install Firefox and disable WebRender. Come on, dude, Michael tests defaults vs defaults. So if WebRender is enabled on Windows, than so be it, as that is what most users are going to be using.

Comment

I've seen BS on Phoronix but yours is just ridiculous. W10 by default is more secure than Linux: W10 on average has 20-50 times fewer vulnerabilities than Linux, W10 supports secure UEFI out of the box vs most Linux distros which require secure boot to be disabled. Lastly W10 is used by CIA, NSA, FBI, military and the US government.

You're out of your mind.
                  The number one infection reason has been the same for a long time: MS Office macros, in exel files. And no relieve in sight. And the US military...had the facebook virus on Computers controlling their drones...and successively moved them to Linux. Their new high-tech destroyer ships, the Zumwalt class, runs on Debian. But yes, they also use Windows - if that's a good decision is another question.

Oh, and how long does it take to close zero day exploits on average? On how long till the updates appear on in most Linux distributions, on average? The usual: "has to wait till the next patch day, good luck" does not happen on Linux.
                  Last edited by treba; 22 May 2020, 01:40 PM.

Comment

I am running this test script on my Lenovo with Linux and Windows currently.

Is it me or is there always one test object that fails its checksum?

I am running the latest PTS. It seems I always get some test that can't download, or it does download and fails its checksum.

Some fail on Linux, different ones fail on Windows 10.

It's the one thing in PTS that bugs me periodically.

Hard to perform true cross platform testing when the objects can't download or install.

Some tests download and install, but I get "result code zero" and it skips on others.

Frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
                      I am running this test script on my Lenovo with Linux and Windows currently.

Is it me or is there always one test object that fails its checksum?

I am running the latest PTS. It seems I always get some test that can't download, or it does download and fails its checksum.

Some fail on Linux, different ones fail on Windows 10.

It's the one thing in PTS that bugs me periodically.

Hard to perform true cross platform testing when the objects can't download or install.

Some tests download and install, but I get "result code zero" and it skips on others.

Frustrating.
                      Do you got a screenshot or name of test? When a test is reported to have mirror problems, I update them. But sometimes mirrors are just temporarily down, etc. All my tests are cached on LAN via Phoromatic so don't necessarily spot down mirrors / bad URLs right away.
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X