No announcement yet.

Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 20.04 Linux Performance On The AMD Ryzen 7 4700U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to look down on people who switched back to Windows, but now I see myself in the same situation. I can't justify using Linux anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
      Btw. Ubuntu doesn't represent Linux. They're using strange configs not optimal for desktops. Fedora would be more representative.
      (ahem) (cough)

We make Stack Overflow and 170+ other community-powered Q&A sites.

Ubuntu gets more traffic than all other distros put together

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post

(ahem) (cough)

We make Stack Overflow and 170+ other community-powered Q&A sites.

Ubuntu gets more traffic than all other distros put together
        I know it's the most popular, but it's far from optimal. They no longer care about desktop. To backup such claim it should be enough to mention they decided to have the same kernel config for desktop and server.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

However the world's fastest computers run Linux.
          They probably don't have to deal with broken ACPI or some other shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

Thought for the day...

However the world's fastest computers run Linux.
            Microsoft: *rushes to make supercomputer version of Windows*

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

They would have to sell licenses for Windows Server Core in bulk, or change licensing policy for clusters entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

MS, been there, done it, failed miserably at it, Windows HPC.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

1. Windows Defender has been consistently on top of the charts for the past 2 years no, so there's no need to install an AV in W10.
                  2. Windows get slower only if you use it recklessly and install all sorts of crap all the time. I've had people use Windows for up to 10 years without any visible or perceptivable slow downs.
                  1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzeKPiwEfXk

2. My father's computer was in the same "good shape" ...but he only used MS office....never installed anything, no internet..... I'm not sure if this can be considered as "using a computer". Thats like using a car only on sundays and never drving faster then 80km/h.
                  Last edited by CochainComplex; 21 May 2020, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

I know it's the most popular, but it's far from optimal. They no longer care about desktop. To backup such claim it should be enough to mention they decided to have the same kernel config for desktop and server.
                    Can you elaborate?

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzeKPiwEfXk

2. My father's computer was in the same "good shape" ...but he only used MS office....never installed anything, no internet..... I'm not sure if this can be considered as "using a computer". Thats like using a car only on sundays and never drving faster then 80km/h.
                      Windows slows down on its own after few days. I've made hundreds of installations and it was always the same. I couldn't believe it can be broken to such point. However, at least when comes to version 10 I have found some clue:

Restores Privacy – Prevent diagnostic data, passwords, contacts, URL, SMS, handwritting, location, and P2P-update sharing. Remove all unique ID tracking tokens. Disable 60+ data collection tasks and consequently speed up your PC.
                      https://www.geckoandfly.com/25083/fr...-tracking-you/

It seems one needs eleven third party tools to enforce Windows to respect our privacy. However, I'm not sure if those tools will prevent it from becoming a snail, though.
                      Last edited by Volta; 21 May 2020, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X