Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 20.04 Linux Performance On The AMD Ryzen 7 4700U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post

"Is Firefox on Linux VS Windows fair?...".

"...FAIR..."? "Fair" has got nothing to do with this, nor should it ever have.

Not to put too fine a point on this, but one should be using an operating system in order to get work done, with as much repeatability and compatibility with what you worked with six months ago as possible ("...I wonder what's NOT going to work this time, with this newest release...") and with the fewest surprises and fewest broken things, from one release to the next.

I'm sure you're not one, but this type question is usually asked by the non-thinking, totally lacking in critical-thinking skills, "Damn the torpedos; full speed ahead!", Linux fanboy, who is only interested in the latest, flashiest, glitziest, more bloated ("...if it ain't the newest, it's crap...") Linux distro.

...A totally dedicated Linux user.
    Actually, you kind of undo your own point here; Firefox underperforms vs Chrome-based browsers just about everywhere, even on Windows with Webrender fully enabled. By your logic, the test should have absolutely been done with Chrome as Firefox isn't "as productive". If you're going to argue that Firefox is used for other features than performance alone - which is valid - then you must also cede that Linux has other features than Windows, so that would be a moot point when the choice isn't based purely on performance.

The last issue I'd point out is the "repeatability and compatibility [...] with this newest release..." statement you made, which is absolutely true under the assumption that every update is mandatory. With Windows you're "along for the ride" with updates, you have no choice if the release doesn't work for any reason, and we've all seen swaths of Windows users have very significant newsworthy issues. But with Linux-based systems you update on your own accord which is more important for getting things done on a working system, which unravels that point. My desktop works well, I have 0 surprises, that update button is entirely optional. As you know you can easily go several months without an update and be perfectly fine, and you also have the option of rolling back, too. That's working under your implication that Linux updates are less reliable than Windows updates.

Really for a work machine where you "get things done" the name of the game is stability and reliability.
    Last edited by Kver; 21 May 2020, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Extinguish: Now that Windows is faster than Linux, there would be no incentive to use Linux anymore.
      Lol, windows will never be faster than linux after 1-2 months of actual usage It always just grows slower and slower. Don't forget to install that anti-virus too!

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post

"Is Firefox on Linux VS Windows fair?...".

"...FAIR..."? "Fair" has got nothing to do with this, nor should it ever have.

Not to put too fine a point on this, but one should be using an operating system in order to get work done, with as much repeatability and compatibility with what you worked with six months ago as possible ("...I wonder what's NOT going to work this time, with this newest release...") and with the fewest surprises and fewest broken things, from one release to the next.

I'm sure you're not one, but this type question is usually asked by the non-thinking, totally lacking in critical-thinking skills, "Damn the torpedos; full speed ahead!", Linux fanboy, who is only interested in the latest, flashiest, glitziest, more bloated ("...if it ain't the newest, it's crap...") Linux distro.

...A totally dedicated Linux user.
        But WebRender (and acceleration) works fine on Linux including Wayland, but it's just not the default.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post

Lol, windows will never be faster than linux after 1-2 months of actual usage It always just grows slower and slower. Don't forget to install that anti-virus too!
          1. Windows Defender has been consistently on top of the charts for the past 2 years no, so there's no need to install an AV in W10.
          2. Windows get slower only if you use it recklessly and install all sorts of crap all the time. I've had people use Windows for up to 10 years without any visible or perceptivable slow downs.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

1. Windows Defender has been consistently on top of the charts for the past 2 years no, so there's no need to install an AV in W10.
            2. Windows get slower only if you use it recklessly and install all sorts of crap all the time. I've had people use Windows for up to 10 years without any visible or perceptivable slow downs.
            Not to mention what happens if you use Linux recklessly up to a point where dependencies mess up or Nvidia stops working after a linux kernel update.

Hurts my soul to say this, but Wind0ws is doing a great job lately. I could never rip off my dual boot in order to use Photoshop/Illustrator and other design tools. With WSL2 I'll want to take Linux partitions size back.

Don't even understand what Chromium Edge is doing, but it uses about 30% less of CPU over pure Chrome.

Comment

Windows 10 breaks some of the most important things for me in terms of usability: the UI.

They continue to obfuscate things that you might be looking at (hide extensions means someone will think they've downloaded and opened Meme.jpg but it's actually Meme.exe) and break things like the Start Menu.

It is mind boggling just how unresponsive and unreliable a square-shaped single colour panel takes so long to display icons based on an index, let alone how many times it will randomly select something on the start menu so when I type into it, nothing happens.

Comment

Hi Michael,

Do you think you could somehow log average core clock speeds throughout the tests? I wonder if there could be some issues with the CPU governor on Renoir chips?

Comment

AMD probably needs more work to be better supported on Linux, especially when it comes to power management... I'm not swapping my Linux workstation for a windows one any time soon though.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    Extinguish: Now that Windows is faster than Linux, there would be no incentive to use Linux anymore.
                    Speed is just one of many factors to use an OS.
                    Here are a few reasons to use Linux:
                    1. You are in control of your OS.
                    2. Open source and standards makes it easy for any one to hack on their OS.
                    3. Freedom to customize your OS to your liking.
                    4. Fantastic toolchains and editors to program apps in almost any language you might like.
                    5. A great community for support.
                    6. Prepacked Desktop environments are available for many different distributions.
                    7. Linux runs on everything from emdedded to high performance hardware on a variety of cpu architectures.
                    8. Great driver support out of the box.
                    9. A large amount of open and closed source software for creativity in audio, vidio, graphics and office related tasks.
                    Last edited by pracedru; 21 May 2020, 02:20 PM.

Comment

unstable amd drivers as always

Comment

Working...
                      X