Fedora Linux 40 Cleared For Release Next Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    Oh, I did move on long ago - to KDE, and haven't looked back. You sound like an unhappy person. I hope you can find your path some day.
    Yes, I went from KDE to Gnome and are happy too. Just break up and don't stay in an unhappy relationship. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by McCarthee View Post
      Mandela effect. I thought we were already >40
      This is what you get for reading all the Phoronix articles about which feature won't make it into release X but will most likely land in release Y or about what will be default and dropped support for old stuff

I personally don't like the background but as I don't like Fedora in general I couldn't care less.
      Other distributions do a contest and a lot of talented people submit entries for the fame alone.
      Currently I like to use the KDE Plasma 5.27 background plus some I like from Simon Stålenhag like my mainserver and ichthyosaurus for different activities.

Comment

Originally posted by slalomsk8er View Post
        I personally don't like the background but as I don't like Fedora in general I couldn't care less.
        Yes caring less is sometimes better. I really like Silverblue and could not get pack to package managers. It works so much smoother. I even would advocate to strip it more down like install the flatpak firefox.

But I see that portals still have to be extended but I really appreciate it because it is the first serious attempt of making interfaces instead of the tribal desktops environments we had before. I really hope this tribal thinking will vanish.

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post
          I need the desktop to display the files in the desktop folder​
          You really still, after all those years, minimize all your applications to access that damn thing?

I personally know no one who really uses the desktop icons on windows either, non of my work colleagues do. Its just bad UX.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
            Sounds par for the course. They lost so many users with the disastrous Gnome 3 release, and still haven't managed to win them back. Sorry Gnome, it's not me, it's you.
            If Gnome was still like Gnome 2, I would not use it. Just use Mate if you forever want to be stuck in 90s UX paradigms.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post

I always follow this: https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/Multimedia

Then I install something like mpv, which plays everything I throw at it.
              This is not suitable if I want to recommend Fedora to someone else, especially to someone who is new to Linux. He would give up the first day.

Also on Silverblue the addition of codecs is very problematic and can break the system.

Fedora would be the perfect distro without these codec issues.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I feel like I'm the only one who actually likes that watercolor styled image.
                I love that picture also

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

You really still, after all those years, minimize all your applications to access that damn thing?

I personally know no one who really uses the desktop icons on windows either, non of my work colleagues do. Its just bad UX.
                  This is not true, it is just a way of using your PC, freedom of choice must be the user's and not imposed.
                  Personally I don't use the desktop much to put things on, however when I'm at work and I need to save a document quickly, I save it on the desktop, then when I have time I archive it in its own folder... it's just a matter of convenience.​

Among other things, it is possible to minimize all open windows with one click, but it is also possible to change virtual desktops.

Comment

Originally posted by Malsabku View Post
                    This is not suitable if I want to recommend Fedora to someone else, especially to someone who is new to Linux. He would give up the first day.

Also on Silverblue the addition of codecs is very problematic and can break the system.

Fedora would be the perfect distro without these codec issues.
                    On Silverblue you have to use Flatpak. I have less problems with codecs on Silverblue than on Workstation because of that.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

The official reason is that it is too much trouble to maintain the code needed for this functionality.

I kid you not, I will try and find the link where the Gnome devs said it was too much trouble to maintain three lines of code.
                      What makes you think lines of code is a metric?

Please, don't comment if you have nothing to say.

This discussion is getting heated, I recommend slowing down.

I have no idea what a wallpaper is or does, sorry.​

Comment

Working...
                      X