Wayland/Weston 1.7.0 Make It For Ubuntu 15.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pepec9124
    Unity 8 is not even useable on desktop right now. It would require a lot of patching in distro packages anyway.
    Wasn't it also that Unity downright conflicts with Gnome3 as libraries were forked without renaming them so most distros would just refuse to ship Unity anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Oliver View Post
      My technological knowledge on this is limited but it strikes me that the display server is very important going forward. Note the Wayland people are not trying to force a display server on anyone, just that the new combined display server/ window manager follow the Wayland protocol.
      as others have noted, the "next generation" display servers are not invasive in any way
      bout mir and wayland use the same stack

it all started a while ago, with X adapting to more modern hardware (like gpu's that have their own memory)
      X devs continued in that direction while various hobbyists and embedded devs went from the other side (X less rendering, like fbdev and directfb on it for example)
      now it's mostly good, even with X, kinda

in theory a mir server would only have to be able to talk to a wayland client to support it, so even that is not farfetched

Comment

Mir with Wayland backend?

As I have understood it Wayland has focused on standardizing the protocol between the clients and server wheres Mir has chosen to standardize the client API. If so wouldn't it be possible to do a Wayland backend to Mir, such that Mir clients can use the Mir API on a library that uses the Wayland protocol to communicate with the server?

In that case Unity and other Mir clients would work in a Wayland environment with other Wayland clients and a Wayland display server (e.g. Weston). But maybe the Mir API doesn't map well to the Wayland protocol?

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
          As I have understood it Wayland has focused on standardizing the protocol between the clients and server wheres Mir has chosen to standardize the client API. If so wouldn't it be possible to do a Wayland backend to Mir, such that Mir clients can use the Mir API on a library that uses the Wayland protocol to communicate with the server?

In that case Unity and other Mir clients would work in a Wayland environment with other Wayland clients and a Wayland display server (e.g. Weston). But maybe the Mir API doesn't map well to the Wayland protocol?
          It's possible, but Canonical would need to swallow it's pride and make the shift. Despite what Canonical fanboys might say Mir is little more than a distraction as all of the important players in the OSS community have decided to support Wayland instead, and Mir and Unity are in tight lock-step with no room for others.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
            It's possible, but Canonical would need to swallow it's pride and make the shift. Despite what Canonical fanboys might say Mir is little more than a distraction as all of the important players in the OSS community have decided to support Wayland instead, and Mir and Unity are in tight lock-step with no room for others.
            What other distros?
            Not to be rude or anything but for me the only 2 distros that actualy matter are debian/ubuntu and fedora.
            Then thers unity & gnome and then mate for low end pcs.

PS: Dont bother arguing with this since its a opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
              Canonical has swallowed its pride before. Shuttleworth uses some annoying language sometimes, but he's an essence a technical project manager guy, and he will make the choice for Ubuntu project's goals.

That said, it's not clear that Wayland is the best choice, considering Ubuntu's goals right now. The mobile effort has stolen much of the desktop talent at Canonical, and so far they are very much behind the initial schedule hopes. The new Ubuntu phones that came out are very disappointing in terms of what we wanted to see from them, and iteration is still slow at Canonical. It seems that Microsoft will achieve convergence before Ubuntu does. So Ubuntu just don't want to waste time on a software stack that doesn't do exactly what they want right now -- too much other stuff to worry about.

I do think that once the Ubuntu project settles down it will prove very likely that they will switch to Wayland. Actually, if there's one realm in which Wayland is proving itself, it's mobile -- Sailfish OS looks great with it, and Tizen is moving to it. Remember that Unity was rewritten several times over its history for various technologies, toolkits and programming languages. The project is very flexible in that respect.

Android might end up as the only mobile Linux that uses its own private display stack!

Comment

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
                Not to be rude or anything but for me the only 2 distros that actualy matter are debian/ubuntu and fedora
                I agree - being a happy Ubuntu user myself.

However Canonical is notoriously bad at making a sustainable community around their own inventions down the stack. Just see Bazaar, Unity, Upstart, Mir. To make the technologies take of and survive it is critical to collaborate and reach a critical mass for sharing the effort.

Ubuntu is an excellent showing of what is possible with a focus on integration and polish. They have really shown what is possible when putting all the right things together and focusing on the _total_ user experience. To me Unity was the right decision after Gnome lost their way, and I am not looking back. I just wish they would collaborate more on the infrastructure.

Comment

What other distros?
                  Not to be rude or anything but for me the only 2 distros that actualy matter are debian/ubuntu and fedora.

xfce and lxqt are for low end pcs

there are 5 distros "that matter"
                  fedora is nr. 5 and ubuntu nr. 2

not that it matters since X will matter for a long time

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
                    I agree - being a happy Ubuntu user myself.

However Canonical is notoriously bad at making a sustainable community around their own inventions down the stack. Just see Bazaar, Unity, Upstart, Mir. To make the technologies take of and survive it is critical to collaborate and reach a critical mass for sharing the effort.

Ubuntu is an excellent showing of what is possible with a focus on integration and polish. They have really shown what is possible when putting all the right things together and focusing on the _total_ user experience. To me Unity was the right decision after Gnome lost their way, and I am not looking back. I just wish they would collaborate more on the infrastructure.
                    More hands dosent exactly mean better stuff.
                    Canonical manages to be focused and polished beacuse they are paid to work on whatever they'r not instead of whatever they would like.

Opensource is good but when it comes to decisions a company should be in charge (dosent mean they shouldnt listen to feedback).

Comment

What other distros?

Hahaha. Apparently the guy who created and maintains your kernel didn't get the memo:

Youtube - Why Linus Torvalds doesn't use Ubuntu or Debian

Comment

Working...
                      X