Wayland/Weston 1.7.0 Make It For Ubuntu 15.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
    and whos standind with wayland besides gnome?
    I am yet to see any thing besides meaning less promises for years.

Is wayland dead too by that logic?
    Red Hat, SUSE, Intel, Samsung, Jolla, KDE, Enlightenment, and LxQt, to name a few.

Wayland is out there now, on shipping products, and available right now for you to test in Fedora 21 if you so choose, with plans to turn it into the default by Fedora 23.

Further you clearly haven't been paying attention if you think that there have been meaningless promises for years, Wayland as a protocol stabilized years ago, but it takes a really long time to shift an ecosystem that assumed Xorg was the only display server out there over to one that can work with Wayland, and THAT has been the hold up.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
      sure lets do the math using a poll on a forum even i never heard about let alone regular users who dont even care about linux news and dont even use phoronix all they want to do is use the computer to see ctas on youtube.
      This isn't some obscure forum on the internet, this is THE main cross-distro Q&A forum, if you haven't heard of it, that's your own fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        This isn't some obscure forum on the internet, this is THE main cross-distro Q&A forum, if you haven't heard of it, that's your own fault.
        Yeah, I have not heard about this extremely important internetforum either, let alone cast my vote there.

My bad

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
          Yes, he can make Mir compliant with Wayland - kill Mir, and there you go. People will forgive him and move on.
          I gather there's a lot of code in Mir to support Unity. That seems like the more likely direction: Mir lives on as a utility layer between Wayland and Unity.

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
            Yeah, I have not heard about this extremely important internetforum either, let alone cast my vote there.

My bad
            Okay let me put this into perspective for you two... LinuxQuestions has around a half million registered users with over 5 million posts... Phoronix on the other hand has ~ 66 thousand registered users with ~300 thousand posts, and if you paid attention to other Linux media comes up with some routine when they run their associated polls.

Comment

For additional perspective
              Ubuntu's forum has ~ 2 million registered members and ~12 million posts
              Fedora has ~ 150 thousand registered members and ~1.5 million posts
              openSUSE has ~ 36 thousand registered members and ~900 thousand posts
              Arch has ~60 thousand registered members and ~ 1.5 million posts

Linux Questions is in no way, shape or form obscure.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
                *snip*
                Oi you, stop. This is one of 3 guaranteed ways to get banned. No spamming the forums.

For those wondering what I mean check his post history.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                  To give you an idea where the world actually stands... check out this poll:
                  If you're looking for Fluxbox, Window Maker, Enlightenment or similar options - they are in the Window Manager of the Year poll. --jeremy

Unity accounts for a mere 4.5% of the votes which is less than LXDE at 5.35% with the desktops that matter being KDE, Gnome Shell, Cinnamon, and XFCE as would be expected by anyone who is involved in the OSS community.
                  If you really think some poll on an internet forum is a way to accurately represent "where the world actually stands" then you're deluded.

With that kind of reasoning I nay as well say that this poll shows what the "world" thinks. Obviously I'd be wrong. This blog is popular among Ubuntu users, who still account for the majority of users on Linux desktops, but that doesn't mean every single Ubuntu user is going to read this blog, let alone this blog post...

Comment

So... when do we get to use Wayland with hardware acceleration on an every day basis ?

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                      So... when do we get to use Wayland with hardware acceleration on an every day basis ?
                      Nothing is stopping you from doing that right now if you use open source drivers and like Gnome.

Comment

Working...
                      X