No announcement yet.

UWSM Aims To Be A Universal Wayland Session Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been looking forward to a generic session manager that works well with nomachine/vnc/rdp and similar software. It's annoying to have to login before being able to connect remotely.

Semi off-topic: I've tried the wayland alpha version of KRDC and it doesn't install/configure/run correctly (cannot bind port issue IIRC). Hoping this gets more attention now that v6.0 is out.

Comment

Originally posted by hedonist View Post
      The anti-systemd people are gonna be in a frenzy over this, but as i am not one of those people and am, in fact, pro-systemd, i support this software and wish them luck. I hope it becomes the standard on linux distros.
      Those who live in hope, die in systemd.

Comment

systemd IS the freedesktop standard though

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/

https://systemd.io/

Systemd is the "freeinit standard" you are looking for.
        I think they mean something like an Init Protocol so other projects have defined targets to reach like how Wayland says your compositor needs to do A B C in X Y Z manner. I'd love an alternative to systemd that wasn't so gung ho with the GPL so there could be better ZFS support.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          So now we are going to need a bloated systemd/wayland manager running all the time? Pretty soon the average major distro desktop is going to be requiring 2-3 GB of ram at all times, above the bloated 1.5 GB or so that it already requires. The race against Windows to see who can push out the most obscenely obese desktop environments continues.
          No? No one is forcing you to use this.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I think they mean something like an Init Protocol so other projects have defined targets to reach like how Wayland says your compositor needs to do A B C in X Y Z manner. I'd love an alternative to systemd that wasn't so gung ho with the GPL so there could be better ZFS support.
            systemd literally has nothing to do with ZFS though, that has to do with the linux kernel.

Comment

So now we are going to need a bloated systemd/wayland manager running all the time?
              If your distro uses Systemd and you choose to use it, you are running it all the time but that's not new at all. Desktop environments including GNOME and KDE can already use Systemd for user sessions too but again this is entirely up to you on what you do with your systems. You can run Fluxbox on Gentoo if you want.

Pretty soon the average major distro desktop is going to be requiring 2-3 GB of ram at all times, above the bloated 1.5 GB or so that it already requires.
              That's likely going to happen over time anyway and users typically choose full featured desktop environments over running other much more minimalist Windows manager because they care more about the features rather than leaving memory unused on their desktops.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

No? No one is forcing you to use this.
                for now and hopefully no compositors/environments will make it a hard dep

EDIT: s/distro/compositor

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I think they mean something like an Init Protocol so other projects have defined targets to reach like how Wayland says your compositor needs to do A B C in X Y Z manner
                  This already exists. It is called sd_notify and it is pretty simple to implement. Many projects have endorsed it. Other init systems just need to adopt it either natively or via a shim.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
                    I've been looking forward to a generic session manager that works well with nomachine/vnc/rdp and similar software. It's annoying to have to login before being able to connect remotely.

Semi off-topic: I've tried the wayland alpha version of KRDC and it doesn't install/configure/run correctly (cannot bind port issue IIRC). Hoping this gets more attention now that v6.0 is out.
                    This functionality was merged into GDM/Gnome:
                    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
                    RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

systemd literally has nothing to do with ZFS though, that has to do with the linux kernel.
                      I know. It's their licenses. The GPL and CDDL aren't compatible so ZFS isn't compatible with systemd. It would have to interact with systemd via shims. Not impossible, but not ideal either.

spicfoo
                      sd_notify is GPL licensed. That's the problem. The GPL isn't compatible with every single open source license which means that systemd and sd_notify aren't compatible with everything else that exists. That's where an Init Protocol comes in. Some other group could create and MIT licensed init system that follows the systemd protocol so it can act as a drop-in replacement.

Comment

Working...
                      X