Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UWSM Aims To Be A Universal Wayland Session Manager

Phoronix: UWSM Aims To Be A Universal Wayland Session Manager

UWSM is short for the Universal Wayland Session Manager and it incorporates systemd's help in managing the Wayland compositors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The anti-systemd people are gonna be in a frenzy over this, but as i am not one of those people and am, in fact, pro-systemd, i support this software and wish them luck. I hope it becomes the standard on linux distros.

Comment

I usually have nothing against systemd but I wish we had something like "freeinit" standards like how Freedesktop makes our projects interoperable

Comment

Originally posted by Beryesa View Post
        I usually have nothing against systemd but I wish we had something like "freeinit" standards like how Freedesktop makes our projects interoperable
        systemd IS the freedesktop standard though

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/

https://systemd.io/

Systemd is the "freeinit standard" you are looking for.
        Last edited by hedonist; 06 March 2024, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Is this same as display manager in x world? I thibj gdm ldm etc. should be dumped along with their legacy cruft, and transition to a clean, modern codebase with only wayland in mind. Not now, but start transition so that when debian does same as fedora and not ship x on install media, it would be ready to also move away from legacy dm.

Comment

well, I dont see myself ever using this, but good luck to them I guess

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
              Is this same as display manager in x world? I thibj gdm ldm etc. should be dumped along with their legacy cruft, and transition to a clean, modern codebase with only wayland in mind. Not now, but start transition so that when debian does same as fedora and not ship x on install media, it would be ready to also move away from legacy dm.
              No it's different to a display manager, wayland still requires a display manager, this is more like extra systemd management for wayland compositors the way i understand it, it seems pretty cool

Comment

By requiring systemd, it's already not "universal".

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post
                  By requiring systemd, it's already not "universal".
                  By requiring Linux, it is already not "universal" if you want to play it that way but go ahead and name a more universal init system if you would like.

Comment

So now we are going to need a bloated systemd/wayland manager running all the time? Pretty soon the average major distro desktop is going to be requiring 2-3 GB of ram at all times, above the bloated 1.5 GB or so that it already requires. The race against Windows to see who can push out the most obscenely obese desktop environments continues.

Comment

Working...
                    X