Wayland Enjoyed Many Successes In 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pabloski View Post

What do you mean? There is no code upstream only a standard with a bunch of extensions. And it isn't even true, because ( for example ) DeVault and other from Sway/Wlroots have contributed a lot to the standard.
    Contribute to th eupstream standard / protocol with the missing features!
    Like color management and HDR support was contributed.
    Or like the allow-tearing support was contributed.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

If you say so. But you did come through and reliably blame an XFCE issue on Wayland. So, there's that.

Just like I said. "They even blame KDE bugs on Wayland" You did!

You did.
      Wayland requires each DE/WM to implement a full featured display server. No other OS under the Sun has the same requirements. That's a Wayland fault and nothing has changed.

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

Back to blaming XFCE technical debt on Wayland again? I said basically this very thing at the beginning.
      That's a GTK flaw due to the way Wayland is designed (anti full-featured usable normal desktop mentality). Nice try but no. Troll better and harder next time.

Maybe read the attached bug report before spewing complete nonsense.

Originally posted by pabloski View Post

this is a problem with GtkLayerShell not Wayland per se!! so why are you lying?
      Lying about what exactly? GTK because of Wayland breaks not just applications but even Desktop Environments. Ultimately it's a design flaw in Wayland that I cannot get a feature which existed in X11.

Don't throw "lying", OK? Maybe think first.
      Last edited by avis; 03 January 2024, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
        Wayland requires each DE/WM to implement a full featured display server. No other OS under the Sun has the same requirements.
        Has this even been true the answer is no it has not been. Weston the reference implementation from day one supported plugins to alter it functionality.

Microsoft implement the RAIL Shell for WSL2 and it uses Weston.
        https://github.com/varmd/wayward is another and there are many more in fact.

The major DE decided they were going to implement their own instead of using and extending the reference implementation. Parties like Microsoft have gone the extend the reference Wayland implementation instead of writing their own.

avis there is a big difference between what Requires and people choosing todo something. There has been a willing choice to fragment. There was an option where they could have all chosen to work and extend Weston and they did not take that option.

Most OS don't allow you to customise your user experience a lot either.

Its said that this project above died 10 years ago. Yes this demo that it was possible to put a plugin into weston and have it forward all the information about Wayland windows to Xwayland then have X11 windows manger go from there.

Again lack of interest we have X11 server bare metal we don't have to make weston/xwayland work with our X11 windows managers while the complete time developer support on x11 bare metal was disappearing.

X11 has had history of people choosing to fragment as well.

I guess you don't remember the beast weirdx avis.
        Last edited by oiaohm; 03 January 2024, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Wayland requires each DE/WM to implement a full featured display server. No other OS under the Sun has the same requirements. That's a Wayland and nothing has changed.
          No, there is weston and wlroots if anyone chooses to use. And, Wayland did something unique, so what? Actually, I like what they did. You are stuck in your sheep mentality.

That's a GTK flaw due to the way Wayland is designed.
          So, Wayland should have been designed to be compatible with GTK? This is not even an argument. Since when the world is turning around GTK? Go fix GTK. Or, cheat from Gnome.

Lying about what exactly? GTK because of Wayland breaks not just applications but even Desktop Environments. Ultimately it's a design flaw in Wayland that I cannot get a feature which existed in X11.
          Don't throw "lying", OK? Maybe think first.
          Use X11 then? Why are you whining, don't like it, don't use it. Or, go fix it. Did you pay for anything you complain?
          Last edited by mrg666; 03 January 2024, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HellToupee View Post

You only have to support the protocols not the server, infact its good there is multiple implementations as solutions have to be done correctly via protocols and portals.
            DE does not have to implement the protocol on its own. DE should use the existing API of the graphical server/library, then all applications will have proper mechanisms for accessing each other and no crutches (portals and so on) will be needed.

Wayland doesn't even have a regular xdotool that works everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post

No, there is weston and wlroots if anyone chooses to use. And, Wayland did something unique, so what? Actually, I like what they did. You are stuck in your sheep mentality.
              Oh, really? And screen recording works in Weston, right? I know it doesn't. And you know it, too. Weston is an example of how to make self-made graphical servers and nothing more.

You're also forgetting that there's the louvre library and some other stuff, but even GNOME and KDE don't use wlroots. Pandora's box is open. Enjoy fragmentation!

Comment

Originally posted by Monsterovich View Post

DE does not have to implement the protocol on its own. DE should use the existing API of the graphical server/library, then all applications will have proper mechanisms for accessing each other and no crutches (portals and so on) will be needed.

Wayland doesn't even have a regular xdotool that works everywhere.
                Did you see what X11, Gnome and KDE developers are doing? They seem to disagree with you. What are your credentials so that one can take your claims seriously? What is your project? Or, are you just a kiddo pretending like a developer on the Internet?

Comment

Originally posted by Monsterovich View Post

Oh, really? And screen recording works in Weston, right? I know it doesn't. And you know it, too. Weston is an example of how to make self-made graphical servers and nothing more.

You're also forgetting that there's the louvre library and some other stuff, but even GNOME and KDE don't use wlroots. Pandora's box is open. Enjoy fragmentation!
                  Kwin screen recording works. I don't care about Weston. But I don't trust anything you claim anyway. I am enjoying what I use though. Thanks for the good wishes.

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post

Did you see what X11, Gnome and KDE developers are doing? They seem to disagree with you. What are your credentials so that one can take your claims seriously? What is your project? Or, are you just a kiddo pretending like a developer on the Internet?
                    There you go, the last stronghold to somehow prove your point is to press for fame and reputation. Who am I to stutter at the developers of GNOME and KDE. Well, the GNOME developers are complete fuckers, and the KDE developers are doing the wrong thing.

Would AppImage developer work for you as a source of fame or is it no longer viable?

It's funny how for some people, fame is more important than truth.

Comment

• Originally posted by mrg666 View Post

Kwin screen recording works. I don't care about Weston. But I don't trust anything you claim anyway. I am enjoying what I use though. Thanks for the good wishes.
                      Now we come to the root cause: "I don't care how things are in %DE_NAME% because everything works in my DE!". That's the problem with Wayland, that it doesn't work EVERYWHERE by default. Once again you have shown yourself to be an infantile moron like the rest of the Wayland fanatics.

Comment

Working...
                      X