Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Enjoyed Many Successes In 2023

Phoronix: Wayland Enjoyed Many Successes In 2023

The Wayland ecosystem had a phenomenal year from much better NVIDIA proprietary driver support, Firefox ending out the year shipping with Wayland support enabled by default, KDE Plasma 6.0 will default to Wayland following many improvements on the KDE side, the Wine Wayland driver upstreamed in its initial form, XWayland continuing to be enhanced, and a lot of other software from desktop environments to apps continuing to embrace Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool, but too bad that only Gnome and KDE developers contribute to its upstream development, while the developers of other desktop environments expect everything to be offered on a silver platter to them.
    Hopefully they stop finding excuses to not start supporting Wayland and contribute with something if anything doesn't exists or works for them.

Wayland is definitely the future, but it needs a bit of effort and that effort would be smaller if more developers contribute to it.

Comment

its strange how PCSX2 Emulator Disables Wayland Support By Default is a success
      also i wouldn't classify most of the list as a wayland success. i would classify as xxx app success. definitely not wayland success. cause the devs of the xxx app has to figures way to make it work in wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Cool, but too bad that only Gnome and KDE developers contribute to its upstream development
        What do you mean? There is no code upstream only a standard with a bunch of extensions. And it isn't even true, because ( for example ) DeVault and other from Sway/Wlroots have contributed a lot to the standard.

Comment

I like that both KDE and Gnome are landing their initial HDR bits.
          At this rate I expect a few extra toggles for enabling 10 or 12bit per color and chroma subsampling in the settings panels by the end of 2024.
          Together with Wine having full Wayland support finding its way to forks such as Proton makes me very happy.

Comment

Those that saw the signs knew this would happen eventually, Red Hat calling for the deprecation of X.org kind of signs the eventuality of standardization of Wayland. I believe this year is the improvement on Wayland to provide for a solid platform as a whole. While X.org continues to be developed as XWayland.
            But yeah, the transition was long but in my opinion worth it.

Comment

By far the biggest Wayland success of all time - this year or any other - is the release of that Nvidia driver that puts an end to the Wayland blockade.

Wayland would've been default long ago if it wasn't for this. Wayland has worked "great"(There's always exceptions) on Intel and AMD hardware for many years now. When Red Hat said that X.Org was abandonware and Wayland was The Way, someone in the stalemate was going to have to blink.

Nvidia blinked.

It's just so annoying, because if Nvidia was going to give in to demands anyways why couldn't they have just done it a half decade ago? In the meantime, that blockade created a decade's worth of ill-will that the Nvidia crowd will never admit to being Nvidia's doing. They'll always blame Wayland. They even blame KDE bugs on Wayland. It's really ridiculous how much poison was caused by this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
                By far the biggest Wayland success of all time - this year or any other - is the release of that Nvidia driver that puts an end to the Wayland blockade.

Wayland would've been default long ago if it wasn't for this. Wayland has worked "great"(There's always exceptions) on Intel and AMD hardware for many years now. When Red Hat said that X.Org was abandonware and Wayland was The Way, someone in the stalemate was going to have to blink.

Nvidia blinked.

It's just so annoying, because if Nvidia was going to give in to demands anyways why couldn't they have just done it a half decade ago? In the meantime, that blockade created a decade's worth of ill-will that the Nvidia crowd will never admit to being Nvidia's doing. They'll always blame Wayland. They even blame KDE bugs on Wayland. It's really ridiculous how much poison was caused by this situation.
                I'm firmly a part of the NVIDIA crowd because it's, in my opinion, better hardware. I have never once blamed Wayland (or anyone other than NVIDIA) for poor support from NVIDIA, however. I think the people who are going after Wayland are very much not the NVIDIA crowd as a whole but instead simply unable to think or do research or understand code for themselves.

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                its strange how PCSX2 Emulator Disables Wayland Support By Default is a success
                also i wouldn't classify most of the list as a wayland success. i would classify as xxx app success. definitely not wayland success. cause the devs of the xxx app has to figures way to make it work in wayland.

It is quite clear that "Wayland success" is referring to a positive move in the direction of getting off of the pile of shit that is X.
                Last edited by AlanTuring69; 01 January 2024, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  Cool, but too bad that only Gnome and KDE developers contribute to its upstream development, while the developers of other desktop environments expect everything to be offered on a silver platter to them.
                  Hopefully they stop finding excuses to not start supporting Wayland and contribute with something if anything doesn't exists or works for them.

Wayland is definitely the future, but it needs a bit of effort and that effort would be smaller if more developers contribute to it.
                  Upstream development is adding descriptions to the Wayland protocol (not code that people use) and then maybe adding that to the Weston reference compositor that practically no one uses. KWin does Wayland in its own way. Mutter does Wayland in its own way. wlroots does Wayland in its own way. Gamescope does Wayland in its own way. My point is that anyone that wants to get into Wayland has to either piggyback off of something that exists, your silver platter, or they have to create it themselves because THERE IS NO UPSTREAM WAYLAND TO CONTRIBUTE TOWARDS LIKE THERE IS AN UPSTREAM FFMPEG OR LINUX KERNEL.

There's KDE Wayland, GNOME Wayland, wlroots Wayland, Gamescope Wayland, EFL Wayland, Weston Wayland, and more. Each one of those is a different implementation Wayland that has to be contributed towards if you want to get your killer feature on all the Linux desktops. With the status quo, the best one can do is propose a way to do things, write that up, and hope the other Wayland Implementations pick it up or they learn multiple programming languages so they can contribute their feature to umpteen Wayland projects.

Wayland also has the problem of not having a way to load 3rd party plugins. Upstream Wayland doesn't accept proprietary protocols so there's no place for AMD, Intel, NVIDIA, Qualcomm, etc to add their custom hardware features...and even if they did describe how to do resolution scaling or color modifications, it would still falls back to the having to program it for umpteen Wayland projects conundrum.

Comment

These changes and improvements made last year show the progress made in just one year to make those Linux operating systems which are moving to the new graphical stack suitable.
                    It is also an actual response to the discontent of those who consider Wayland problematic by citing the false problem of its long-lived introduction.

Comment

Working...
                    X