Wayland Enjoyed Many Successes In 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panix

An only crap here is X and nvidia with their shitty drivers and hardware. The best thing is crying of Xorg fanboys. It's an only thing you can do. Cry more, but it won't help you.
    Last edited by Volta; 01 January 2024, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
      its strange how PCSX2 Emulator Disables Wayland Support By Default is a success
      also i wouldn't classify most of the list as a wayland success.
      What is strange in pcsx2 developer being a moron? There are plenty of them, so smarter people have to force them to use better things. Your clasification means nothing.

Comment

I'm writing this from a Plasma 6.0 Beta 2 system running the default display engine -- Wayland -- and running Nvidia graphics with the proprietary driver.

Is everything absolutely perfect in beta software? Nope, there are still some bugs but they aren't really related to Wayland (the worst bugs were actually due to Arch packaging Qt 6.7 Beta while Plasma 6 is really targeting 6.6 and there are some incompatibilities).

Having said that: I was there for Plasma 5 and especially Plasma 4. This experience is LIGHT YEARS better than those betas and Wayland Works. If even I can get Beta Plasma software working without that much heartburn using the friggin' Nvidia graphics that were allegedly never going to operate with Wayland (my main system uses AMD that makes it 10x easier) then I seriously have to question the competency and honesty of some of the usual suspects who screech about Wayland on here while also claiming to be so much smarter than everybody else.

Screenshot linked here [ads and all supporting Phoronix too]: https://x.com/WattusMaximus/status/1...112158?s=20​
        ​

Comment

Can we take a moment to appreciate how much MacOS X achieved back then with 10.0 (and with Rhapsody before that)? Anyone who bought it because they needed a Unix system with a good graphics stack got more than a 20-year headstart.

Yes, it only runs on expensive hardware, yes this or that CLI tool may not be the latest version (for some cases because the authors of the cli tool relicensed to GPLv3), but my point still stands.
          Last edited by kurkosdr; 01 January 2024, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Just look at the steam statistics.
            The steam statistics represent their platform usages. It should not be extrapolated to other usages (believe it or not, not everyone running Linux chooses to game on it).

Given that many Linux users do not wish to share system metrics (even though almost everyone wishes there was a way to collect actual hardware usage to make better decisions about support) there is only limited information available. Smolt was one approach, and was retired around a decade ago. hw-probe, sending data to linux-hardware.org suggests that of those choosing to share their data about 50% use an Intel GPU (probably iGPUs), and AMD and NVIDIA are about 25% each.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              Cool, but too bad that only Gnome and KDE developers contribute to its upstream development, while the developers of other desktop environments expect everything to be offered on a silver platter to them.
              Hopefully they stop finding excuses to not start supporting Wayland and contribute with something if anything doesn't exists or works for them.

Wayland is definitely the future, but it needs a bit of effort and that effort would be smaller if more developers contribute to it.
              Some DEs such as CDE use X11's features for drawing lines and rendering fonts and so on, so of course those won't be ported. That's why Wayland "rootful" mode exists, which allows X11 apps to own the root window (and is intended for DEs).

Wayland is all about DEs that don't use X11's line drawing and font rendering features and for them X11 is just getting in the way.
              Last edited by kurkosdr; 01 January 2024, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Xorg has been fundamental to show a coven of idiots. At least is still useful for something.

Comment

Successfully destroying the Linux desktop!

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                    Panix

An only crap here is X and nvidia with their shitty drivers and hardware. The best thing is crying of Xorg fanboys. It's an only thing you can do. Cry more, but it won't help you.
                    That simple-minded and judgmental thinking won't get you anywhere. Why does objectively critiquing or questioning the Wayland situation = 'xorg fanboy' automatically? What is an 'xorg fanboy' anyway? I've just been reading objective comments about Wayland and not all have been positive - and I lean towards caution instead of cheerleading it like a....a.....Wayland fanboy?

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post

That simple-minded and judgmental thinking won't get you anywhere. Why does objectively critiquing or questioning the Wayland situation = 'xorg fanboy' automatically? What is an 'xorg fanboy' anyway? I've just been reading objective comments about Wayland and not all have been positive - and I lean towards caution instead of cheerleading it like a....a.....Wayland fanboy?
                      Matter is that you continue to blame Wayland when it is going to be the default graphical stack this year in Fedora and KDe neon. Repeating the same idiocies. Wayland needs the operating systems, drivers, frameworks and so on be adapted to making it working. If you pretend that Wayland works good in operating systems based on Xorg you are an idiot.
                      Last edited by MorrisS.; 02 January 2024, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X