Wayland Enjoyed Many Successes In 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by avis View Post
    And goodbye IceWM whose author rejected a port to Wayland.
    Why didn't the IceWM developer(s?) decide to fork / maintain their own X.org?

Why is it that nobody on the planet wants to do this job???

You never ask yourself this question. If you asked yourself this question, your posting quandaries would all come to an end.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panix View Post
      I don't know why they're so attached
      You misunderstand attachment.

Nobody wants to maintain x.org. Where is your fork / branch on your own github page for the Panix X11 repository?

Comment

• Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

Wow. You're blaming a GTK bug on Wayland. Admittedly and openly, and even without recognizing the cognitive dissonance in the first four words. "That's a GTK flaw" You said it. Not me. I did read the bug. The developer stated he did not want to maintain two code paths. So the work is possible.

He is choosing not to do the work. That could not be more clearly NOT a Wayland issue. It's a developer issue, right there in black and white for anybody to go and read.

What I can't understand is why we need to be compliant with GTK? Cut them out of the picture altogether or have them fix their issue.

Remember, you said it: "That's a GTK flaw"
        You need to improve your reasoning, intelligence and reading comprehension.

It's not a GTK bug, the required GTK feature doesn't work under Wayland due to its design.

Lastly, I've not said anything about maintaining Xorg or reviving it in this discussion or anywhere else in the past month. Stop putting words in my mouth.

I've added you to my BL, because I'm a little bit tired of your inane and completely wrong posts.

Comment

• Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

Universal solutions are not always the best.

I learned this truth from reading about systemd and the great ideas promoted by Lennart Poettering, and all the people opposed to systemd because they want more individualized solutions. Systemd is the universal solution to a whole host of problems.
          Xorg is not trying to be systemd, Xorg is just doing what a graphical server is supposed to do. Just the opposite, over time Xorg has been de-bloat-ed. It feels like Wayland was designed to take the worst of it. Fragmentation and incompatibility with other graphical servers from other DEs at the same time.

Comment

• Originally posted by HellToupee View Post

Portals are not crutches they are used on x11 and also flatpaks et because they are actually the proper way to work with your desktops mechanisms eg. file picker.

Things like xdotool require protocols/portals to be created which are being worked on if you would read the discussions would see doing something properly is not that straight forward, x11 allowed everything through its insecurity
            Yes but not for things like screencasting, this is a graphical server functionality and delegating it to other 3rd-party software is architecturally wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monsterovich View Post

There you go, the last stronghold to somehow prove your point is to press for fame and reputation. Who am I to stutter at the developers of GNOME and KDE. Well, the GNOME developers are complete fuckers, and the KDE developers are doing the wrong thing.

Would AppImage developer work for you as a source of fame or is it no longer viable?

It's funny how for some people, fame is more important than truth.
              Where I am, it is called "credibility" not "fame". "Credibility" is the word I used.

Originally posted by Monsterovich View Post

Now we come to the root cause: "I don't care how things are in %DE_NAME% because everything works in my DE!". That's the problem with Wayland, that it doesn't work EVERYWHERE by default. Once again you have shown yourself to be an infantile moron like the rest of the Wayland fanatics.
              ​​​​​
              I don't care about you and your problems. And. I am not ashamed of it.​ If you want to be cared, pay for it or implement what you need. Stop being a needy and whiny weakling.

Comment

• Originally posted by mrg666 View Post

Plasma 5 runs completely in Wayland. Period. You are saying full Wayland protocol is not implemented in kwin. So what? All applications that support Wayland work.

I see you paid special attention with your writing this time. Keep at it, you might safely call others idiot after a while. I recommend avoiding that for now. Just a friendly advice.
                your reply proofs you understand nothing. You are only a poor senile in searching for a bit of visibility.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monsterovich View Post
                  not for things like screencasting, this is a graphical server functionality and delegating it to other 3rd-party software is architecturally wrong.
                  I am intrigued.

Have been using an X11 based desktop for over two decades but have always needed a 3rd-party software for screencasting.

How do I enabled server side screencasting and how is it controlled?

Comment

• Originally posted by avis View Post

You need to improve your reasoning, intelligence and reading comprehension.

It's not a GTK bug, the required GTK feature doesn't work under Wayland due to its design.

GTKLayerShell appears to be a 3rd party lib that exposes the wlroots unstable layer shell protocol extension. It quite clearly states on its github page that bug reports should not be submitted to the actual GTK project. Also, the wlr layer shell protocol and the library appears to support resizing.

Comment

• Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
                      How do I enabled server side screencasting and how is it controlled?
                      There is no server-side screencasting, you use either xcomposite or XSHM depending on what you need to record. These mechanisms are completely DE-independent. No need for Pipewire, D-Bus, portals, etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X