Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JetBrains Enabling Wayland Support For IntelliJ-Based IDEs

Phoronix: JetBrains Enabling Wayland Support For IntelliJ-Based IDEs

For those making use of the IntelliJ integrated development environment (IDE), JetBrains has been working to enable native Wayland support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This sounds great.
    Looking forward to testing this.

Comment

Happy to read this!

Comment

Read this earlier on their blog. Did not see any concrete info on when this partial Wayland support will be made available to users, which I found odd. It's been known they were working on this for a while, what exactly is being announced now, if it's not that it's coming to users? That they're halfway done with the work?

Comment

It's a painfully slow adoption but it's good to see some more compliant softwares.

Comment

It is really starting to feel like the year of the linux desktop is upon us. Perhaps 2024 is the one?

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
              It is really starting to feel like the year of the linux desktop is upon us. Perhaps 2024 is the one?
              Maybe not, I went to build a client PC with RTX 4060 TI as he is a dev I tried to install some distros but only Alpine with Gnome gave video but it was software rendering. I think the year of Linux will be after NVIDIA gpus works well with Linux and even more on Wayland (most of the market share is NVIDIA sadly). For myself I play on Linux for more than a year now even windows exclusive titles.

Well, there are some things that can make year of Linux before NVIDIA:
              1. AMD Hypr-RX would be amazing in Linux open source driver (AMD is already nice on Linux but I think they need more to get market share)
              2. Intel making even better Linux drivers (they are kinda bad now but are improving a lot recently)
              3. More companies focusing on Linux gaming like Valve
              By the way, sadly I had to install Windows 11 Home Single Language for him 😭

Comment

This is great news. They're really making a ton of progress. Looking forward to being able to test it out.

Comment

The year of the Linux desktop was around 2012 or so, I have little hope that things will get back to the first class desktop experience from back then, at least not in the next 20 years.
                  There was everything back then when Compiz was the standard, from 3d workspace switchers to arbitrarily being able to smoothly zoom in to any part of the screen and many other useful features.

Comment

Not really. Netbrains idea is kind of backwards. They're using Java instead of js electron. On desktop. Desktop Java is dead. Also they're using the local file system. The ide should be written in pure untyped js, and it should communicate with a node/mongo backed via a language server protocol (rest) using Json. The frontend should use tailwind css and react.js in 2023.

Comment

Working...
                    X