JetBrains Enabling Wayland Support For IntelliJ-Based IDEs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Not really. Netbrains idea is kind of backwards. They're using Java instead of js electron. On desktop. Desktop Java is dead. Also they're using the local file system. The ide should be written in pure untyped js, and it should communicate with a node/mongo backed via a language server protocol (rest) using Json. The frontend should use tailwind css and react.js in 2023.
    I do not know any practical IDE using this pile of stuffs. When I mean practical, I mean doing efficiently something else than trivial JS /TS / HTML. VSCode is good when you are a student and you work on very small side projects. Not for real stuffs. Sorry, it is popular because it helps freely front-end devs, but not because it is good actually. I also think language protocol will be supported by Intellij, which is nice.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
      It is really starting to feel like the year of the linux desktop is upon us. Perhaps 2024 is the one?
      At this point I never know if it's being said ironically or anyone actually believes in any significant breakthrough within one year.
      Or in other words - The YOTLD is now! It's the state when the desktop Linux user base is on its increase, which it most definitely is right now. What we really need is so that it stayed that way.
      Last edited by bple2137; 31 August 2023, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Not really. Netbrains idea is kind of backwards. They're using Java instead of js electron. On desktop. Desktop Java is dead. Also they're using the local file system. The ide should be written in pure untyped js, and it should communicate with a node/mongo backed via a language server protocol (rest) using Json. The frontend should use tailwind css and react.js in 2023.
        You have it kind of backwards. They should've used adobe flash and actionscript, it's more webscale than node / mongo

Comment

Originally posted by nadirx View Post

Implementation details aside, Intellij runs circles around VSCode as a Java IDE. To me it's about how productive I can be, and VSCode does not deliver. Sorry.
          Any of the jetbrains IDEs runs circles around vscode on its respective languages and ecosystems. It's the difference between an IDE and a text editor, as powerful as it might be. It doesn't even compare.

Comment

Excited for this effort to add Wayland support for all Swing and AWT Java applications.

It seems like the main motivation was HiDPI support.

Comment

Implementation details aside, Intellij runs circles around VSCode as a Java IDE. To me it's about how productive I can be, and VSCode does not deliver. Sorry.
              By that same logic vim and emacs are pissass useless compared to Visual Studio as an IDE.

One is a fucking IDE while the other is a code editor.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
                Doesnt help if this still removes any smart redrawing based on the parts that are actually visible for every window that's not minimized. It will be slow whether you enable effects or not.

I sometimes forget there are kids using their dads PC, i will be clearer in the future. Sorry
                Literally never had that issue. Sounds like a you problem.

Even unidirection worked flawlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by YBoy360 View Post

I do not know any practical IDE using this pile of stuffs. When I mean practical, I mean doing efficiently something else than trivial JS /TS / HTML. VSCode is good when you are a student and you work on very small side projects. Not for real stuffs. Sorry, it is popular because it helps freely front-end devs, but not because it is good actually. I also think language protocol will be supported by Intellij, which is nice.
                  Typical sour grapes.

Something I don't like is extremely popular with users all over the world. It must be not because it's good.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

By that same logic vim and emacs are pissass useless compared to Visual Studio as an IDE.

One is a fucking IDE while the other is a code editor.
                    VSCode is an IDE. Intellij is an IDE. Intellij is a much better IDE than VSCode.
                    No need to drag in any other pointless comparison.

Comment

VSCode is an IDE. Intellij is an IDE. Intellij is a much better IDE than VSCode.
                      No need to drag in any other pointless comparison.
                      VSCode is not an IDE no matter how you want to spin it to match your narrative.

Comment

Working...
                      X