Ubuntu 21.04 Will Try To Use Wayland By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

I would sometimes just click "report" on the problem reporting applet (and let it do the underlying work), but you can also use the abrt command directly using the report subcommand.
    HTML Code:
    # which abrt
    # apt search abrt
    Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

That really does not fix anything about the actual big green elephant in the room. The lack of GBM. DMA-Buf has nothing to do with wayland directly.
      GNOME supports EGLStreams so it's not very big problem. Lack of dma-buf with non accelerated Xwayland were probably biggest Nvidia driver issues with Wayland excluding GBM support. After these two things will be finally fixed then Nvidia driver will be more usable with Wayland, at least with supported compositors.

To be honest GBM has nothing to do with Wayland as well. It is de facto standard for writing Wayland compositors but Wayland protocol is not tied to it. With some proposed Vulkan extensions you will be even able to write Wayland compositor without GBM or EGLStreams.
      Last edited by dragon321; 28 January 2021, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post

HTML Code:
        # which abrt
        # apt search abrt
        Nope.

Sorry, I keep forgetting that Ubuntu chooses to go their own way rather than using cross distro tooling. Try apport.

Comment

Sorry, I keep forgetting that Ubuntu chooses to go their own way rather than using cross distro tooling. Try apport.
          Thanks, I'll try

Code:
          apport-cli \
          --file-bug \
          --package="gnome-session" \
          --pid="$(pidof gdm-wayland-session)"
          gnome-session-quit
          next time. It's not making a backtrace but maybe it will get noticed amongst the million other unresolved bugs and someone will recommend a more useful report.

Comment

I hope this default Wayland goes ahead with 21.04. I have never gotten around to using Wayland, I wonder how it will work on my old GTX770.
            This would give a lot of time for testing before a LTS release.

Comment

Meh.

With Wayland:
              - No reset for Gnome (blocking, given how often alt + f2 + r is necessary)
              - SMPlayer is not working (don't care whose fault it is)
              - Unite extension doesn't run correctly (among others)
              - Firefox titlebar in multi-monitor setup doesn't work too well
              - Ctrl + scroll doesn't work for zooming in gthumb

List is not exhaustive.

I'll pass until all the bugs are ironed out either within Mutter, the app or the extension.

Comment

apport is nearly three years older than abrt

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
                  Also ZFS is opensource.. wft. lol, It's copyleft almost identical to MPL. It's like calling Firefox "propritary"
                  Its open source, on a way that is similar to the NT Kernel source code you find on Github. Open, but not Free. It is not Free Software. It is not compatible to Linux and never will be. But who cares, its the Tesla of filesystems, just a massively overrated mess.
                  Last edited by Alexmitter; 28 January 2021, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Its open source, on a way that is similar to the NT Kernel source code you find on Github. Open, but not Free. It is not Free Software.
                    NT Kernel code leaked due to some anonymous hacker. ZFS code was released by Sun. It is Free Software.

Comment

Its open source, on a way that is similar to the NT Kernel source code you find on Github. Open, but not Free. It is not Free Software. It is not compatible to Linux and never will be. But who cares, its the Tesla of filesystems, just a massively overrated mess.
                      Are you kidding me? You're going to be that pedantic over GPL vs CDDL copyleft?

What's ironic is that we can argue that Linux is Open but not Free for the same reasons.

Comment

Working...
                      X