Ubuntu 21.04 Will Try To Use Wayland By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
    Beside that it is, EGLStreams do no fulfil all of the functionality that GBM offers. The code Nvidia delivered to get Gnome and KDE working on it is rightfully called Legacy, it is not well supported and does not work properly. All Nvidia has to do is to implement the GBM interface, it would be a benefit for them, its a lot better then EGLStreams.
    Bullshit. It works better than GBM and is supported by Nvidia themselves. And Nvidia proposed EGLStreams even before Mesa came up with GBM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
      Well, it's really useful if you're are developing an extension.
      Also in recent years it has been a way to mitigate the effects of a couple of nasty memory leaks (now resolved)

JackLilhammers really there are questions. If you are need a special key to reset how should it be done? Should it be something like Hawck as a independant program outside the wayland compositor/x11 server completely.

Think about this you are developing a extension with gnome it was possible to screw up input processing that alt + f2 + r does not work.

There is a lot of functionality that is in X11 that the more you pull it apart should not be there. Global hot keys lot ways this should not be part of the wayland compositor just like its not part of the windows dwm compositor.

Some of the functionality is there because of Nvidia the jackass. Nvidia binary driver does not support libdrm like everyone else. So generic screen capture that does not care if you are using X11, Wayland or TTY does not work with Nvidia binary driver with Linux. Nvidia saying wayland compositors have to use eglstream instead of the platform agreed solutions???

Lets say Nvidia said that Windows DWM had to use opengl how far do you think that would get with Microsoft we know the answer to this because Nvidia did with Vista and Microsoft said no you must provide suitable direct x interface.

The reality here is horrible,

When you screen capture under Windows or Mac OS are you using the compositor/windows managers part at all. The answer is no you are not. You are using low level interfaces that bipass that stuff. Screen capture should not be part of X11 or Wayland instead should be host level stuff.

When you do global hot keys under windows or mac os are you using the compositor/windows manager part at all the answer again is no you are not. Another low level bipass.

The way things have been done up to now in a lot of places are wrong. This results in asking for stuff to be added to wayland protocol that really have no part being inside wayland at all.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

Well, it's really useful if you're are developing an extension.
        Also in recent years it has been a way to mitigate the effects of a couple of nasty memory leaks (now resolved)
        Indeed.
        1. Memory going out of hand
        2. Some artifacts appear somehow (when changing HI-DPI scaling, an app is misbehaving, an extension is spiralling out of control, etc...), a simple reset and you get back your session as it was
        3. When updating extensions, on extensions.gnome.com you sometimes get a beautiful bright red "Error", just refreshing Gnome (or sometimes the browser) can get the normal buttons back, and if it doesn't, you know immediately it actually is an error
        4. Changing the theme of Gnome (either shell or apps) doesn't always work properly either, or straight away (when you've played a bit with themes, you'll know that), and I don't want to log out and back in to apply a simple change of theme
        5. I got to 172 days of uptime on Ubuntu 20.04* (before involuntarily restarting in Steam big picture this week, noooooo), and I can tell you after a couple of months running everything in your system is a bit more sensitive, resetting some stuff is how you keep it going (I'm too lazy to log out and back in).

I have a desktop and a laptop, between the both of them, I'd say at least 3 to 5 times a week I'm resetting Gnome.

* I had booted 2 months before 20.10 was even out

Comment

oiaohm I know english is not your native language, but neiter is mine, so I'm sorry but I did not understand the details of what you just said.
          I kind of get that there should be a better way to do it than Alt+F2 then typing R, but the rest is fuzzy.
          Anyway I trust your argument, but the point is another.
          Regardless of the implementation details, the ability to restart the shell without closing all the open programs is a very nice feature of Gnome, and is currently missing.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Pipewire one of it core goals is to get rid of both jack audio and pulseaudio so we have a single sound server for all use cases.

Pipewire also include sync of video to audio.

PipeWire: Audio and Video on Linux

Its a good read. Pipewire will have interfaces that old pulseaudio and jack audio applications can talk to pipewire and use pipewire like they used jack audio and pulseaudio.

Interesting point about using Pipewire for video capture is that it can be doing the audio capture as well with any required latency correction.
            Yeah.

So the answer is yes?

Ubuntu 21.04 will use PiPeWire for audio instead of PulseAudio?

PipeWire has support for Bluetooth audio codecs like aptx

Comment

Also, I just learned wayland has no xkill equivalent and won't support SSD (as in server side decorations), making for ugly inconsistencies.
              It starts to be a bit too many hindrances to my taste.

You really need a basic workflow for it to work seamlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Its open source, on a way that is similar to the NT Kernel source code you find on Github. Open, but not Free. It is not Free Software. It is not compatible to Linux and never will be.
                No. As much as I dislike ZFS, you are incorrect. CDDL is a free software (and strong copyleft) license, just purposefully made incompatible with GPL.
                Last edited by intelfx; 29 January 2021, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  Kubuntu most definitely won't switch. KDE's Wayland support is still in tech preview (i.e. not even in beta).
                  Maybe so, but I have a system with KDE Neon using Plasma Wayland and it works flawlessly and beautifully for me (current Plasma 5.20.5). Now it is a 12 year old laptop with an AMD mobile APU, so that might be part of it.
                  GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Bullshit. Using Nouveau on Wayland in Gnome right now.
                    Having to drop CUDA and low latency frames to get that sweet "cinematic effect" is a tough choice.

(just pulling your leg)

Comment

Originally posted by f0rmat View Post

Maybe so, but I have a system with KDE Neon using Plasma Wayland and it works flawlessly and beautifully for me (current Plasma 5.20.5). Now it is a 12 year old laptop with an AMD mobile APU, so that might be part of it.
                      I'm pretty sure it works well for KDE developers and their rigs, too. But the point is they are still not sure it works well for everybody else.
                      I gave it a shot around Plasma 5.20, found 3 or 4 serious bugs within 10 minutes. 5.21 won't be any different, nothing was addressed in the meantime.
                      Last edited by bug77; 29 January 2021, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X