Ubuntu 21.04 Will Try To Use Wayland By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
    GNOME supports EGLStreams so it's not very big problem.
    Beside that it is, EGLStreams do no fulfil all of the functionality that GBM offers. The code Nvidia delivered to get Gnome and KDE working on it is rightfully called Legacy, it is not well supported and does not work properly.

Lack of dma-buf with non accelerated Xwayland were probably biggest Nvidia driver issues with Wayland
    The lack of Xwayland support was embarrassing to say it mildly. Using DMA-Buf here is rather a workaround then a real fix and nothing but moving unnecessary copies of that frame around in memory.

To be honest GBM has nothing to do with Wayland as well. It is de facto standard for writing Wayland compositors but Wayland protocol is not tied to it.
    Yes, it has nothing to do with Wayland. It has something to do with the DRI, the infrastructure already in the kernel. GBM was agreed on by all the GPU vendors. And beside that Wayland did not specify that, it is now build around the functionality of GBM.

All Nvidia has to do is to implement the GBM interface, it would be a benefit for them, its a lot better then EGLStreams.

With some proposed Vulkan extensions you will be even able to write Wayland compositor without GBM or EGLStreams
    You misunderstood that. The compositing the compositor does can be done via Vulkan in the future, not the management of the various buffers the applications draw their window in.

All Nvidia has to do is to stick their pride up their Arse and implement that damn interface.

Comment

Originally posted by Leinad View Post
      NT Kernel code leaked due to some anonymous hacker.
      Microsoft leaked that code themselves by giving it out to universities for education purposes.

Originally posted by Leinad View Post
      ZFS code was released by Sun. It is Free Software.
      The CDDL is considered peudo free software, fully Incompatible with any real Free Software License.

Anyways there are much more technically interesting, more modern file-systems that are actually free software and part of the kernel like the B-Tree FS.

Comment

I guessed it would come soon, but they usually make these big changes in the .10 releases?

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
        - SMPlayer is not working (don't care whose fault it is)
        yep, this is a big one because VLC never worked for me (doesn't exit properly) and I managed to break celluloid too

Comment

Originally posted by gfunk View Post
          I guessed it would come soon, but they usually make these big changes in the .10 releases?

yep, this is a big one because VLC never worked for me (doesn't exit properly) and I managed to break celluloid too
          From what I understand this is a problem that has arisen as a result of some changes in the management of the windows, for this reason now it is necessary to stop the video before closing VLC, in this way it will be closed correctly. I don't see other problems ....

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            The diff between Debian and Ubuntu is definitely shrinking. Good stuff.
            Not that much. Ubuntu kernels for example are still very different from Debian's and Ubuntu uses a lot more downstream patches to its desktop environment.

Comment

Does this mean that PipeWire will be in charge of the audio stack too, so that we can definitely forget about PulseAudio?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                The CDDL is considered peudo free software, fully Incompatible with any real Free Software License.
                No it's not and you are just being silly here, CDDL is written to be specifically incompatible with the GPL but that does not make it pseudo free.

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                Meh.
                - No reset for Gnome (blocking, given how often alt + f2 + r is necessary)
                I've been using Gnome since 2004 and have never had the need to perform an reset, actually didn't even know that such a thing existed until you wrote about it, strange sometimes how different software can behave on different systems.
                Last edited by F.Ultra; 28 January 2021, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
                  I've been using Gnome since 2004 and have never had the need to perform an reset, actually didn't even know that such a thing existed until you wrote about it, strange sometimes how different software can behave on different systems.
                  Well, it's really useful if you're are developing an extension.
                  Also in recent years it has been a way to mitigate the effects of a couple of nasty memory leaks (now resolved)

Comment

Originally posted by EvilHowl View Post
                    Wayland already works fantastically well on Intel and AMD GPUs. Nvidia users will have to wait slightly (a lot) more.
                    Bullshit. Using Nouveau on Wayland in Gnome right now.

Comment

Originally posted by rockiron View Post
                      Does this mean that PipeWire will be in charge of the audio stack too, so that we can definitely forget about PulseAudio?
                      Pipewire one of it core goals is to get rid of both jack audio and pulseaudio so we have a single sound server for all use cases.

Pipewire also include sync of video to audio.

PipeWire: Audio and Video on Linux

Its a good read. Pipewire will have interfaces that old pulseaudio and jack audio applications can talk to pipewire and use pipewire like they used jack audio and pulseaudio.

Interesting point about using Pipewire for video capture is that it can be doing the audio capture as well with any required latency correction.

Comment

Working...
                      X