Ubuntu 21.04 Will Try To Use Wayland By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I'm pretty sure it works well for KDE developers and their rigs, too. But the point is they are still now sure it works well for everybody else.
    I gave it a shot around Plasma 5.20, found 3 or 4 serious bugs within 10 minutes. 5.21 won't be any different, nothing was addressed in the meantime.
    I understand and concur with what you are saying...Plasma Wayland is useless on my dual boot laptop that has an Intel Core i7 and nVidia graphics. It is all about individual use case. I seem to remember the issues with Krunner on 4K displays only getting fixed when one of the developers bought a 4K laptop and realized that there was an issue.
    GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
      Well, it's really useful if you're are developing an extension.
      gnome-shell can run nested in a Wayland session. This is what the gnome-shell developers recommend for extension development.

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
      It works better than GBM and is supported by Nvidia themselves. And Nvidia proposed EGLStreams even before Mesa came up with GBM.
      Actually, AFAICT EGLStreams are fundamentally incompatible with Wayland without EGL_KHR_stream_fifo, which came after GBM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
        Actually, AFAICT EGLStreams are fundamentally incompatible with Wayland without EGL_KHR_stream_fifo, which came after GBM.
        Once again: Wayland is a protocol, it doesn't care how it's implemented, it does not mandate GBM at all. Weston uses GBM, but Weston is just a reference implementation.
        As for technical merits, when tech guys got together, they admitted neither GBM nor EGL_Streams were without fault wrt the task they need to fulfill in Wayland. That's why they said they should come up with something new. (They never followed through, but that's another story.)

Comment

Originally posted by EvilHowl View Post
          Wayland already works fantastically well on Intel and AMD GPUs. Nvidia users will have to wait slightly (a lot) more.
          Then please enlighten me how to make Wayland work properly on my 2018 iGPU, 'cause I still haven't found a way yet to make it work properly, neither on Debian Unstable nor on Arch.
          Last edited by Vistaus; 29 January 2021, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Kubuntu most definitely won't switch. KDE's Wayland support is still in tech preview (i.e. not even in beta).
            That doesn't matter to the average Phoronix user. If it's newer, it's better and it should be default. That's their motto.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Then please enlighten me how to make Wayland work properly on my 2018 iGPU, 'cause I still haven't found a way yet to make it work properly, neither on Debian Unstable nor on Arch.
              • install up-to-date free software drivers (both kernel and mesa)
              • install your preferred compositor, and/or the one that fulfills your definition of "proper work"
              • enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Its open source, on a way that is similar to the NT Kernel source code you find on Github. Open, but not Free. It is not Free Software. It is not compatible to Linux and never will be. But who cares, its the Tesla of filesystems, just a massively overrated mess.

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

No it's not and you are just being silly here, CDDL is written to be specifically incompatible with the GPL but that does not make it pseudo free.

I've been using Gnome since 2004 and have never had the need to perform an reset, actually didn't even know that such a thing existed until you wrote about it, strange sometimes how different software can behave on different systems.
                Look, I'm not trying to start a license war here. What is this Stallmans law that every discussion about OSS had to end in a license debate? The FUD is extreme here.

I'm trying to say this is what Ubuntu is doing. They are all in on ZFS just like FreeBSD is all in. Like it, hate it, whatever.. it's happening. And..

I think it's fine. It's no big deal. It adds a lot of cool features to users and to enterprise and makes Ubuntu better. so 👍
                Last edited by k1e0x; 29 January 2021, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Anyways there are much more technically interesting, more modern file-systems that are actually free software and part of the kernel like the B-Tree FS.
                  I disagree. Specifically the snapshotting feature in Btrfs is poorly implemented IMO. In ZFS you could just run a rollback command and boom, you're using that snapshot, without modifying anything. In Btrfs, you have to remount the filesystem with the snapshot subvolume, and for your root filesystem you'll have to modify fstab with the "subvol=xyz" option and rebuild your initramfs. Probably requires adjusting GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX as well.
                  Not to mention that the filesystem was introduced in kernel 2.6.29, 10 years ago. And it still has some problems with raid56, raid overall, defrag and device replacement.

ZFS gives you better snapshotting, read and write cache (L2ARC and ZIL), zvols, built-in encryption, etc.
                  I suppose the main advantages of Btrfs would be its volume resizing and better CoW control with attributes.

Comment

Originally posted by rockiron View Post
                    Yeah. So the answer is yes?
                    The answer can be yes. Just because pipewire is on a system does not mean it had to replace pulseaudio straight away. Pipewire is a multi feature beast. Pipewire can be just on a system for video stuff like video capture or pipewire could be on a system for everything.

pipewire has lot broader functionality that pulseaudio or jackaudio. The broader functionality is why this question is not straight forwards and the fact that pipewire allows you to have it on a system and only use part of it functionality so keep the other parts disabled by default.

Ubuntu 21.04 will use PiPeWire for audio instead of PulseAudio?
                    Not sure on that way Fedora has recently started trying change over.

Do note the fedora plan here is remove both pulseaudio and jackaudio leaving only pipewire.

Generally Ubuntu will be on something like this a year behind at least so I would be supprised if it Ubuntu 21.04 by defualt. Its most likely able to be turned on.

PipeWire has support for Bluetooth audio codecs like aptx
                    Reality here pulseaudio does not have aptx support either there is work on both by different parties that say at some point that may appear.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
                      [USER="105978"]Regardless of the implementation details, the ability to restart the shell without closing all the open programs is a very nice feature of Gnome, and is currently missing.
                      Funny point that is not true. Gnome on AMD or Intel just like KDE on AMD or Intel can in fact restart the wayland compositor without restarting the applications., Its broken Nvidia here why they are need to implement DMA BUF in there drivers kind of yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                      X