Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 21.04 Will Try To Use Wayland By Default

Phoronix: Ubuntu 21.04 Will Try To Use Wayland By Default

Ubuntu is going to be trying to switch over to using Wayland by default for the current Ubuntu 21.04 cycle to allow sufficient time for widespread testing and evaluation ahead of next year's Ubuntu 22.04 LTS release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Idono 20.04 waland still crashes a few times a month.

Comment

What about improving the Wireless by switching to Intel's IWD ?
      Or switching the user and its home directory to the new systemd's structure?
      I hope that Kubuntu wil try to follow suit a bit and ship with the Wayland package installed by default so we can quickly try Wayland session without the need to download anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        What about improving the Wireless by switching to Intel's IWD ?
        I hope that Kubuntu wil try to follow suit a bit and ship with the Wayland package installed by default so we can quickly try Wayland session without the need to download anything.
        This comment will definitely be commented popcorn

Comment

Wayland already works fantastically well on Intel and AMD GPUs. Nvidia users will have to wait slightly (a lot) more.

Comment

Wireless switching is working well for me. (Did you set AP priorities?)

Comment

Nvidia support is coming along: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...UF-Wayland-KDE

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                Nahh.. it's pointless if you have Ubuntu on ZFS.
                Last edited by k1e0x; 28 January 2021, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zdzichu View Post
                  That really does not fix anything about the actual big green elephant in the room. The lack of GBM. DMA-Buf has nothing to do with wayland directly.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

Nahh.. it's pointless if you have Ubuntu on ZFS.
                    That has nothing to do with the filesystem. But using a propritary filesystem on Linux is big brain time anyways, so what did I expect.

Comment

Working...
                    X