Microsoft Is Writing Its Own Wayland Compositor As Part Of WSL2 GUI Efforts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bezirg View Post
    Yes, more "extend" is coming. I wonder, does anybody here remember Silverlight? That was also supposed to be "cross-platform" (but closed-source). The reality kicked in and showed us how much cross-platform it was.

And no, wayland is just a protocol and there are many implementations out there which work just fine.
    Some National Instruments Data Aquisition NI-DAQs had it too....it was a bummer when you try to reach the device by a Linux Computer over Network

Comment

Originally posted by lowlands View Post

I doubt they will. Follow the money: if they made it cross platform then why would you pay Microsoft for a Windows desktop license when you can run your applications on Linux? Remember, they are funding their Azure datacenters and other very expensive projects from their Windows cash-flow monopoly. Anything that could jeopardize that is nixed.
      Windows is getting increasingly irrelevant. Azure and Xbox are Microsoft's new cash cows.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

In the end, there will be just One. WinuX.
        Thankfully Linux is GPL licensed and this protects it from some nasty moves. However, Linux is just a part (a big one) of Open Source ecosystem and Open Standards are put onto more serious risk. Ms, Google can try to 'peacefully' enforce their own 'standards' which can be poisonous in the long term.
        Last edited by Volta; 20 May 2020, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

I want this trash to stay away from Linux.
          From a quality perspective, Linux desktop is trash, period.

Trash typically refers to quality, not fundamentalist ideological views.

Comment

Originally posted by vladpetric View Post

From quality perspective Linux desktops are state of an art in comparison to Windows UX.

Comment

Originally posted by SWY1985 View Post
              I'm sort of excited about Microsoft integrating Linux into their OS. It's not like they're taking over Linux development. I also know that most serious Linux users will not move on to Windows. Those who will move (back) to Windows, or are forced to use Windows for work, will be able to get a familiar taste of Linux while they're there. Just like we've had Wine for ages to run Windows software.

I am glad that, for my work, I am able to use my work computer as I see fit. Nothing beats the intuitivity and productivity I get on my ever evolving Sway setup. I welcome the tools Microsoft is making available, but I don't depend on them.

Microsoft will not be able to stop Linux development. What are you all afraid of? Can someone explain to me how any of this is in any way bad for Linux, without using the words "Embrace", "Extend", "Extinguish" and "Micro$oft"?
              The bottom line is those four words are what the real truth is. How can you describe MS at all without them? It isn't possible. You are asking us to ignore the truth and then artificially limiting what we can describe. If we can't be honest in our evaluations then those dishonest evaluations aren't worth anything at all.

Comment

Hmm, if RDP works well with their wayland compositor... Linux has absolutely lost the battle when it comes to enterprise and thin client deployments.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Windows is getting increasingly irrelevant. Azure and Xbox are Microsoft's new cash cows.
                  Yes Windows is getting increasingly irrelevant. But Azure is not a cash cow (in terms of net profits) that can finance the rest of the company. And Xbox is a loss leader. Taking Azure, it's an offering based on actual physical building blocks (DCs, racks, servers, cooling, power etc.) requiring many billions in cold hard cash. So while Azure may generate a lot of revenue, it does not generate the kind of *net profits* that their Windows monopoly generates because the cost is much higher (digital/SaaS versus physical products). Check their creatively obfuscated quarterly results.

Comment

Originally posted by vladpetric View Post

Firstly, there are many linux desktops and Secondly -MOST- of them are more stable than Windows. (stable as in it doesn't crash too bad)

From a quality perspective, Windows is a malware trap. Literally tens or hundreds of thousands of windows computers crash or lockup hard requiring a reboot every single day due to malware.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Firstly, there are many linux desktops and Secondly -MOST- of them are more stable than Windows. (stable as in it doesn't crash too bad)

From a quality perspective, Windows is a malware trap. Literally tens or hundreds of thousands of windows computers crash or lockup hard requiring a reboot every single day due to malware.
                      Unless you're talking about Chrome and Android, which are essentially Google proprietary interfaces, even Linus Torvalds disagrees with you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comme...desktop_linux/

Fragmentation is insane, quality is highly variable.

Comment

Working...
                      X