Microsoft Is Writing Its Own Wayland Compositor As Part Of WSL2 GUI Efforts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Is Writing Its Own Wayland Compositor As Part Of WSL2 GUI Efforts

Phoronix: Microsoft Is Writing Its Own Wayland Compositor As Part Of WSL2 GUI Efforts

Microsoft is working on its own Wayland compositor derived from the Weston code-base...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Obviously obvious development is obvious.... Of course they would develop their own Wayland compositor. Their Winux distro will be needing it once it is ready.

Comment

Wow. A lot of Microsoft in the news since the last refresh...
      Maybe they are getting eager to take over the world through this new-found way and having a hard time holding back?

Comment

I just wish Microsoft made it possible to write cross-platform GUI applications on .NET Core that works on Linux. It is possible today with the third-party framework Avalonia. But it would be nice if it was officially supported in any way, such as Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) or UWP or WinUI.

Comment

If Microsoft do a better job implementing wayland faster this is going to be another embarrassment.

Comment

And where is this fledged fanboy saying they should choose X instead? On more serious note is M$ evolving or preparing to backstab?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              I just wish Microsoft made it possible to write cross-platform GUI applications on .NET Core that works on Linux. It is possible today with the third-party framework Avalonia. But it would be nice if it was officially supported in any way, such as Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) or UWP or WinUI.
              I want this trash to stay away from Linux.
              Last edited by Volta; 20 May 2020, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Isn't that exactly what is their .NET MAUI about? It was announced today or yesterday I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                  And where is this fledged fanboy saying they should choose X instead? On more serious note is M$ evolving or preparing to backstab?
                  Seriously I think MS have already evolved. Times have changed, today they make big $$$ from Linux and FOSS in general and they are not stupid to try to destroy it.

Comment

So, what is this, another closed source garbage from Microsoft?
                    I wish that the Linux kernel and other open source software would have a license that would forbid any not open source software to use it.
                    Microsoft with all these compatibility layers for Linux will hinder a lot the real Linux desktop adoption.
                    Many people seeing that Linux stuff works on Windows too will have no real incentive to move to Linux and many employers will force us to use garbage OSes like Windows 10 saying that the needed Linux tools work on Windows too.

Comment

Working...
                    X