X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frankenstein

Comment

Originally posted by bezirg View Post
      Yes, more "extend" is coming. I wonder, does anybody here remember Silverlight? That was also supposed to be "cross-platform" (but closed-source). The reality kicked in and showed us how much cross-platform it was.
      There were also Open Document Format and m$ OOXML. The later was done to make our lives harder. There's no good will from M$.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
        Wow. A lot of Microsoft in the news since the last refresh...
        It's all part of EEE of course.

Soon all Phoronix articles being published will be MS focused, after forum threads/comments of the usual MS and EEE talks get tiresome/repetitive, engagement will dwindle and no one will check back on phoronix because it's just MS news.

Once the flow of Linux news sources is compromised, it's only a matter of time before MS sleeper agents in prominent developer/maintainer roles are activated and the repurposing of Linux and it's ecosystem commences.

/s

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        So, what is this, another closed source garbage from Microsoft?
        Read the article mate, it's a bunch of open-source stuff. MS is going to contribute to some existing open-source projects in addition to that which improves the experiences with them.

Comment

Actually now that I am thinking more about it, MS does not want to be a software company anymore, but a service/infrastructure provider.

MS IE/Edge engine abandoned => switched to using Chromium with a thin layer of MS buttons and bookmarks ontop

Silverlight, Windows Forms, Windows GUI abandoned => switched to electron and javascript

Visual Studio abandoned => switched to visual studio code after buying the Atom development (which uses electron/js underneath) and adding nice colors to it
          ​​​
          SourceSafe/ ms team services abandoned => switched to git

PowerShell abandoned => switched to bash/ssh through WSL

Windows Phone abandoned => switched to some thin android apps like an android launcher or calendar app than having a whole OS

.NET framework abandoned => switched to dotnet core coupled with an ngingx+linux hosting/proxying, because who in their right mind would use Microsoft IIS webserver afterall.
          ​​​​​​

Windows kernel (very soon I guess) abandon=> switch to linux kernel in the future because the win kernel is underperformant and undocumented and nobody knows how it works. Instead provide a "compatibility" layer so all these directx proprietary software can still run ontop of the ms-linux kernel.

It will not surprise me at all if MS announces jn short term, that Win10 is going to abandon NTFS and ReFS in favour of ZFS or ext4.

TLDR: Windows software (and its friends) are abandonware.
          Last edited by bezirg; 20 May 2020, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

I want this trash to stay from Linux.
            Many people would love a cross-platform UI. As a developer it sucks if you write an application for Linux then you are limited since so few people use Linux, and if you write one for Windows then you can't make it available for Linux. You could use a framework such as Electron, but many people do not like it.

It would be amazing if it was easier for developers to target both Windows and Linux, as well as Mac.

Originally posted by blacknova View Post

Isn't that exactly what is their .NET MAUI about? It was announced today or yesterday I think.
            To quote the Microsoft blog article: ".NET MAUI simplifies the choices for .NET developers, providing a single stack that supports all modern workloads: Android, iOS, macOS, and Windows." – Linux is not mentioned. It seems Linux is available though, but it is community maintained, so a second-class citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
              Read the article mate, it's a bunch of open-source stuff. MS is going to contribute to some existing open-source projects in addition to that which improves the experiences with them.
              Read the discussion and stop writing crap.

Comment

Originally posted by bezirg View Post

Windows kernel (very soon I guess) abandon=> switch to linux kernel in the future because the win kernel is underperformant and undocumented and nobody knows how it works. Instead provide a "compatibility" layer so all these directx proprietary software can still run ontop of the ms-linux kernel.
                Microsoft knows how the kernel works and that's all that matters. Windows isn't going to be dropping NT anytime soon, there's no reason to move.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

I want this trash to stay from Linux.
                  In the end, there will be just One. WinuX.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Microsoft knows how the kernel works and that's all that matters. Windows isn't going to be dropping NT anytime soon, there's no reason to move.
                    But do people that write drivers, games, debug running software ontop of NT really "know" how it works? Personally, i cannot even fathom trying to debug a Win application.

Comment

Originally posted by down1 View Post
                      If Microsoft do a better job implementing wayland faster this is going to be another embarrassment.
                      Not to mention how petty this makes "GBM vs EGL Streams" look.

Comment

Working...
                      X