Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Open-Source Allowed Valve To Implement VULKAN Much Faster On The Source 2 Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If market goes this way for AMD in 2018. we should start spoke 汉语

你好吗 Bridgman?

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      Funny thing is why Valve choose OpenGL to port games
      Its more: Because there is no other 3D API ...

Comment

Originally posted by jaxxed View Post
        Bridbge, you have to ignore the haters, or you're gonna lose your hair over threads like this. Come back to being the nice Bridge man, who gives us drivers, and info.

Most us know that it's ridiculous for us to armchair-CEO, from our basement PCs.

at least this armchair CEO isn't getting sued for a 100 million dollar security fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
          Its more: Because there is no other 3D API ...
          Yup OpenGL is everywhere even on his Mac , unforgettable XP in China, etc... all those talking in ears a little bit of western audience That is a point, western audience asking about even here, but it is a little point and not mainly about them, because business is elsewhere and many people even here fails to understand that

Ask Bridgman is it true that 75% revenues coming from China, of course it is true. And is also true chinesses 99.9% running Windows, even linux on web servers is not used there well nearly at all, etc
          Last edited by dungeon; 04 April 2015, 12:41 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure if those numbers mean that people in China are actually buying 75% of what we make (which seems unlikely), or just reflects the fact that pretty much every company in the world manufactures in China these days.

I would want to see a by-country or by-region breakdown of channel sales (as opposed to OEM sales) before drawing any conclusions.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
              In this context, "hasn't released a single line of code for their Linux OSS driver" refers to Mantle/Vulkan.
              The radeon driver devs have done a great job with their driver, but looks to me as if AMD itself didn't care much. If they really cared, they could have developed Mantle in Linux, and they have not done so.
              I imagine Valve could be selling AMD hardware with Mantle/Vulkan-enabled games already. Instead, Valve chose to invest in the Intel driver. *That* is a missed business opportunity.
              BTW, all the radeon devs read (and sometimes reply to posts in) phoronix... but they are not AMD, they are individual employees. AMD is a big organization just like every other company, and I doubt their Linux devs have too much influence.
              I hope I'm wrong, though. I wish we could be seeing Vulkan being implemented by these devs in the next months...
              To be clear, you don't know whether they have or not. The only thing you know for sure is that they haven't released any support for Mantle on Linux. It should also be noted that NO vendor has released Vulkan drivers, as Vulkan's spec has not been nailed down. So, docking AMD for that is rather heavy handed.

Now, AMD has working drivers for Mantle on Windows. This code should be able to transition relatively easily to become Vulkan. Putting AMD in the position of having the most tested driver for working games in the market. They promised Linux drivers when Mantle was released. So, internally they were working on it. I don't know why they didn't release it, and I won't speculate. They did release Mantle as an open spec, in the form of Vulkan, so they made good on that promise. There would be no Vulkan this fast without the work AMD did on Mantle.

We can speculate that they will have well implemented drivers for Vulkan on day one, at least in Beta, thanks to their leg up on their already existing work. We will see if that is the case when Vulkan is released.

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post
                To be clear, you don't know whether they have or not. The only thing you know for sure is that they haven't released any support for Mantle on Linux. It should also be noted that NO vendor has released Vulkan drivers, as Vulkan's spec has not been nailed down. So, docking AMD for that is rather heavy handed.

Now, AMD has working drivers for Mantle on Windows. This code should be able to transition relatively easily to become Vulkan. Putting AMD in the position of having the most tested driver for working games in the market. They promised Linux drivers when Mantle was released. So, internally they were working on it. I don't know why they didn't release it, and I won't speculate. They did release Mantle as an open spec, in the form of Vulkan, so they made good on that promise. There would be no Vulkan this fast without the work AMD did on Mantle.

We can speculate that they will have well implemented drivers for Vulkan on day one, at least in Beta, thanks to their leg up on their already existing work. We will see if that is the case when Vulkan is released.
                mesa is still using an openGL version released over 5 years ago, at this rate we won't see Vulkan until the mid 2020s.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                  mesa is still using an openGL version released over 5 years ago, at this rate we won't see Vulkan until the mid 2020s.
                  OpenGL is a giant beast, and every version requires all the previous ones. Vulkan in comparison is rather slender and has none of that baggage. Just look at LunarG, a (small) independent group of developers unaffiliated with Intel was able to write an alpha driver for their hardware within a couple months.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    I'm not sure if those numbers mean that people in China are actually buying 75% of what we make (which seems unlikely), or just reflects the fact that pretty much every company in the world manufactures in China these days.

I would want to see a by-country or by-region breakdown of channel sales (as opposed to OEM sales) before drawing any conclusions.
                    Blah you seems to like to avoid to make conclusions, but you can't be wrong on this one even your CEOs always talking about desktop chanell is heavely concentrated in China

Comment

What a letdown. Michael, your tease promised something more, this was Captain Obvious-tier news.

Comment

Working...
                      X