Updated and Optimized Ubuntu Free Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxwivi View Post
    I'm not a developer. Well, not any OpenGL-using application developer. Could you please explain to me what a core profile is, its significance and how to request one? Since the hardware and it's driver support 3.3, why doesn't Mesa support it in whatever the alternative to core profiles are?
    Mesa does support 3.3, but only in core profiles. If the app wants >3.0, it has to ask for a core profile rather than a compatibility profile.

Comment

I'm not a developer. Well, not any OpenGL-using application developer. Could you please explain to me what a core profile is, its significance and how to request one? Since the hardware and it's driver support 3.3, why doesn't Mesa support it in whatever the alternative to core profiles are?
      From Wikipedia:
      OpenGL 3.0 introduced a deprecation mechanism to simplify future revisions of the API. Certain features, marked as deprecated, could be completely disabled by requesting a forward-compatible context from the windowing system. OpenGL 3.0 features could still be accessed alongside these deprecated features, however, by requesting a full context.

OpenGL 3.2 further built on the deprecation mechanisms introduced by OpenGL 3.0, by dividing the specification into a core profile and compatibility profile. Compatibility contexts include the previously-removed fixed-function APIs, equivalent to the ARB_compatibility extension released alongside OpenGL 3.1, while core contexts do not. OpenGL 3.2 also included an upgrade to GLSL version 1.50.
      Beyond that I have no clue. There were some games that people were talking about in the forums where they had to specify an OpenGL profile so that graphics weren't broken. Borderlands 2, Metro, or Witcher 2 maybe?

EDIT: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...formance/page2
      Last edited by profoundWHALE; 10 March 2015, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by agd5f View Post
        Mesa does support 3.3, but only in core profiles. If the app wants >3.0, it has to ask for a core profile rather than a compatibility profile.
        https://www.opengl.org/wiki/Core_And...ty_in_Contexts
        I see. I understand. Is there a way to make Mesa return core profile even if the app requested for a compatibility one? At my own risk, of course.

Comment

Basically core profile is what the OpenGL standards define (newer features added, older features removed), with well-defined interaction between features. Compatibility profile adds back the older features, but the interaction between older and newer features is generally vendor-specific rather than being defined by the standard.

AFAIK the rationale for core/compatibility was that analysis of the OpenGL user base showed two fairly different groups with little or no overlap. One was developers writing new programs or substantially updating existing programs -- they wanted a clean & well defined API and core profile was made for them.

The other group was developers with older software that they wanted to keep maintaining, but also wanted to be able to evolve their software a bit and make use of a few newer GL features. These are the devs who need compatibility profiles. The interaction between old and new functionality is not well defined, but that doesn't matter as much because they are using almost entirely older functionality and the sheer size of a proprietary OpenGL driver provides enough inertia that they don't see big surprises from one release to the next. My understanding is that this second group is mostly workstation apps/developers.

There was a long discussion among the Mesa devs (you can probably find it in the dri-devel ml archives) but I think the general consensus was "let's write a really good core profile driver and leave the compatibility profile challenges to the proprietary drivers".
          Test signature

Comment

I see. I understand. Is there a way to make Mesa return core profile even if the app requested for a compatibility one? At my own risk, of course.
            I think you can do this, which will have Mesa lie about what version it is. As long as Mesa implements all the necessary features the app uses, it should work. If not, you might get a crash.

Code:
            MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.3COMPAT your_executable_here
            I'm not sure if you also have to override the GLSL version - i know there's an environment variable to do that as well. I assume not.
            Last edited by smitty3268; 11 March 2015, 01:32 AM.

Comment

• Can't not upgrade "mesa stack" after install The Ubuntu LTS enablement Stacks.

hello, recently i have upgrade the Enablement Stacks on ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS (utopic kernel, X.Org 1.16 and mesa 10.3.2), now I can not upgrade "mesa" via ppaibaf/graphics-drivers. Before upgrade the Enablement Stacks, i applied ppa-purge on ppaibaf/graphics-drivers ...after restart i try enable again ppaifbaf but does't works ....

I think the issue is because the graphic stack libgl1-mesa-dri was replaced by libgl1-mesa-dri-lts-utopic and libgbm1 "call" libgl1-mesa-dri ...

Code:
              $sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
              Reading package lists... Done
              Building dependency tree
              Reading state information... Done
              Calculating upgrade... Done
              The following NEW packages will be installed:
              i965-va-driver:i386 libvdpau1:i386 va-driver-all:i386 vdpau-va-driver:i386
              The following packages have been kept back:
              libgbm1
              The following packages will be upgraded:
              i965-va-driver intel-gpu-tools libdrm-intel1 libdrm-intel1:i386
              libdrm-nouveau2 libdrm-nouveau2:i386 libdrm-radeon1 libdrm-radeon1:i386
              libdrm2 libdrm2:i386 libglamor0 libva-drm1 libva-drm1:i386 libva-glx1
              libva-wayland1 libva-x11-1 libva-x11-1:i386 libva1 libva1:i386 libvdpau1
              libvorbis0a libvorbis0a:i386 libvorbisenc2 libvorbisenc2:i386 libvorbisfile3
              libvpx1 libvpx1:i386 linux-firmware mesa-utils vainfo
              30 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
              Need to get 25.0 MB of archives.
              After this operation, 6048 kB of additional disk space will be used.
              Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
              Any suggestion to fix this ...

Thanks in advance ..

Comment

• More info, steps to reproduce:

Code:
                ~$ LC_ALL=C  sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                Building dependency tree
                Calculating upgrade... Done
                The following packages have been kept back:
                libgbm1
                0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
                Code:
                ~$ LC_ALL=C  sudo apt-get -f install
                Building dependency tree
                0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
                hector@hector-VirtualBox:~$ LC_ALL=C sudo apt-get install libgbm1
                Building dependency tree
                Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
                requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
                distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
                or been moved out of Incoming.
                The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
                libgbm1 : Depends: libgl1-mesa-dri (= 10.6~git1503140730.f68a97~gd~t)
                E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
                Code:
                ~$ LC_ALL=C  sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri -s
                Building dependency tree
                Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
                requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
                distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
                or been moved out of Incoming.
                The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
                unity-control-center : Depends: libcheese-gtk23 (>= 3.4.0) but it is not going to be installed
                Depends: libcheese7 (>= 3.0.1) but it is not going to be installed
                E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by he

Comment

• I have reported this on launchpad:

Dear Maintainer, I have upgrade from ubuntu 14.04.1 to 14.04.2 (LTS Enablement Stacks) whith: $ sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-lts-utopic xserver-xorg-lts-utopic libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-utopic libegl1-mesa-drivers-lts-utopic After, i try enable ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers ( bleeding-edge X.Org/Mesa) and i have a issue with the file: " libgbm1": $ sudo apt-get install libgbm1 -s Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done...

Regards

Comment

• I've been using the oibaf PPA on my HP Probook 455 G1 for months without issues, up until I updated today, and upon reboot, was greeted by a message saying that my drivers could not be detected. A cursory investigation revealed these error messages:

Code:
                    [    39.275] (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer
                    [    39.275] (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_ARB_create_context
                    [    39.275] (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_ARB_create_context_profile
                    [    39.275] (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_EXT_create_context_es2_profile
                    [    39.275] (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_INTEL_swap_event
                    [    39.275] (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_SGI_swap_control and GLX_MESA_swap_control
                    [    39.275] (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB
                    [    39.275] (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float
                    [    39.275] (II) AIGLX: GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap backed by buffer objects
                    [    39.276] (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized r600
                    [    39.276] (II) GLX: Initialized DRI2 GL provider for screen 0
                    [    39.276] (EE) 
                    [    39.276] (EE) Backtrace:
                    [    39.276] (EE) 0: /usr/bin/X (xorg_backtrace+0x48) [0x7f52b3b69848]
                    [    39.276] (EE) 1: /usr/bin/X (0x7f52b39c0000+0x1ad539) [0x7f52b3b6d539]
                    [    39.276] (EE) 2: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0x7f52b2aa0000+0x10340) [0x7f52b2ab0340]
                    [    39.276] (EE) 3: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so (0x7f52ac058000+0x4f297) [0x7f52ac0a7297]
                    [    39.276] (EE) 4: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so (0x7f52ac058000+0x46f22) [0x7f52ac09ef22]
                    [    39.277] (EE) 5: /usr/bin/X (0x7f52b39c0000+0xc803e) [0x7f52b3a8803e]
                    [    39.277] (EE) 6: /usr/bin/X (0x7f52b39c0000+0x59c04) [0x7f52b3a19c04]
                    [    39.277] (EE) 7: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (__libc_start_main+0xf5) [0x7f52b14b9ec5]
                    [    39.277] (EE) 8: /usr/bin/X (0x7f52b39c0000+0x451ee) [0x7f52b3a051ee]
                    [    39.277] (EE) 
                    [    39.277] (EE) Segmentation fault at address 0xfffffffffffffff8
                    [    39.277] (EE) 
                    Fatal server error:
                    [    39.277] (EE) Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting
                    It worked perfectly fine before I rebooted, but alas, the PPA only ever contains one version of the package, (well, I suppose I should still have the package in the apt cache somewhere but even figuring out what got updated and which package could trigger this is a bit nontrivial) so I can't just roll back to yesterday's state and figure this out later, and trying to ppa-purge the PPA away produces a forest of packages failing to install that I'm getting lost in. What particularly puzzles me is that when I log in at console and manually /etc/init.d/lightdm restart, it actually starts and appears to run fine, but for some really bizarre reason, the Synaptics touchpad driver does not work.

Any advice on where to go from there and where could such a bug report belong?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mihara View Post
                      I've been using the oibaf PPA on my HP Probook 455 G1 for months without issues, up until I updated today, and upon reboot, was greeted by a message saying that my drivers could not be detected. A cursory investigation revealed these error messages:

Code:
                      [    39.275] (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer
                      [    39.275] (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_ARB_create_context
                      [    39.275] (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_ARB_create_context_profile
                      [    39.275] (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_EXT_create_context_es2_profile
                      [    39.275] (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_INTEL_swap_event
                      [    39.275] (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_SGI_swap_control and GLX_MESA_swap_control
                      [    39.275] (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB
                      [    39.275] (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float
                      [    39.275] (II) AIGLX: GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap backed by buffer objects
                      [    39.276] (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized r600
                      [    39.276] (II) GLX: Initialized DRI2 GL provider for screen 0
                      [    39.276] (EE) 
                      [    39.276] (EE) Backtrace:
                      [    39.276] (EE) 0: /usr/bin/X (xorg_backtrace+0x48) [0x7f52b3b69848]
                      [    39.276] (EE) 1: /usr/bin/X (0x7f52b39c0000+0x1ad539) [0x7f52b3b6d539]
                      [    39.276] (EE) 2: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0x7f52b2aa0000+0x10340) [0x7f52b2ab0340]
                      [    39.276] (EE) 3: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so (0x7f52ac058000+0x4f297) [0x7f52ac0a7297]
                      [    39.276] (EE) 4: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so (0x7f52ac058000+0x46f22) [0x7f52ac09ef22]
                      [    39.277] (EE) 5: /usr/bin/X (0x7f52b39c0000+0xc803e) [0x7f52b3a8803e]
                      [    39.277] (EE) 6: /usr/bin/X (0x7f52b39c0000+0x59c04) [0x7f52b3a19c04]
                      [    39.277] (EE) 7: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (__libc_start_main+0xf5) [0x7f52b14b9ec5]
                      [    39.277] (EE) 8: /usr/bin/X (0x7f52b39c0000+0x451ee) [0x7f52b3a051ee]
                      [    39.277] (EE) 
                      [    39.277] (EE) Segmentation fault at address 0xfffffffffffffff8
                      [    39.277] (EE) 
                      Fatal server error:
                      [    39.277] (EE) Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting
                      It worked perfectly fine before I rebooted, but alas, the PPA only ever contains one version of the package, (well, I suppose I should still have the package in the apt cache somewhere but even figuring out what got updated and which package could trigger this is a bit nontrivial) so I can't just roll back to yesterday's state and figure this out later, and trying to ppa-purge the PPA away produces a forest of packages failing to install that I'm getting lost in. What particularly puzzles me is that when I log in at console and manually /etc/init.d/lightdm restart, it actually starts and appears to run fine, but for some really bizarre reason, the Synaptics touchpad driver does not work.

Any advice on where to go from there and where could such a bug report belong?
                      See the debugging section at: https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archiv...phics-drivers/

Comment

Working...
                      X