Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Updated and Optimized Ubuntu Free Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hello there
    I'm trying to run dota 2 on my ancient pc which has an old Pentium dual core + 2gb ram + 4670hd gpu
    Been following this thread for a while
    So from what I understand, to get dota 2 working in my card, with gallium nine, I need
    Oibaf ppa
    And sarnex patched wine

    My doubts are with dri3 and llvm and also glamour

    Will the game have any perforMance improvements if I use dri3 patched ppa from sarnex, is it use full?
    As explained in the previous posts llvm is use full in newer gvn cards, so that seemingly leaves mine out, but I would like to know whether getting it would improve my fps (by opting for the padoka ppa) in ways that I might not know about

    Lastly regarding glamour and exa, I suppose exa would be enabled by default, will switching it to glamour help

    I have been searching a lot to get the maximum performance out of this card but the information out there is rather sparse
    So if any one has any points to help me out, that will be incredibly useful (I know the card is pretty old, but I'm just curious to know how far I can go with these limited specs)

    I'm using zorin os which is Ubuntu based but I'm gonna change it to xubuntu once I finish downloading (very slow Internet)

    Comment


    • No acceleration on Kaveri A8-7100

      Hello,

      I'm using Kubuntu 15.04 (beta) and added the oibaf PPA but can't enable acceleration. I think the Radeon driver doesn't detect the APU video.
      Any ideas how to fix this? This is my Xorg.0.log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/10570880/

      Cheers!

      Comment


      • black screen at boot hybrid graphics

        well, i cant boot with radeon foss drivers(black screen but can hear a sound, the normal boot sound , but screen is off) at hybrid graphics apuigpu/dgpu, i read almost all of google and tryed all of it and still have not a solution, guess that i need to go back with catalyst

        Comment


        • OpenGL 3.3 on Sandybridge?

          According to this article, complete OpenGL 3.3 support landed in Mesa with geometry shaders way back in September 2014. However, using your latest packages it still advertises 3.0. There's an OpenGL application (non-native to Linux) that's partially working, and I suspect it requires 3.3 because it's native platform advertises minimum OpenGL compatibility of 3.3.

          Code:
          Driver:  Intel Open Source Technology Center Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2
          
          Driver Version:  3.0 Mesa 10.6.0-devel (git-51b43c5 2015-03-09 utopic-oibaf-ppa)
          OpenGL Version: 3.0
          I'll be very grateful if anyone can solve this for me.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by oxwivi View Post
            According to this article, complete OpenGL 3.3 support landed in Mesa with geometry shaders way back in September 2014. However, using your latest packages it still advertises 3.0. There's an OpenGL application (non-native to Linux) that's partially working, and I suspect it requires 3.3 because it's native platform advertises minimum OpenGL compatibility of 3.3.

            Code:
            Driver:  Intel Open Source Technology Center Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2
            
            Driver Version:  3.0 Mesa 10.6.0-devel (git-51b43c5 2015-03-09 utopic-oibaf-ppa)
            OpenGL Version: 3.0
            I'll be very grateful if anyone can solve this for me.
            Mesa only supports GL 3.3 in core profiles. You need to request a core profile to to get GL versions larger than 3.0.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by gribelu View Post
              Hello,

              I'm using Kubuntu 15.04 (beta) and added the oibaf PPA but can't enable acceleration. I think the Radeon driver doesn't detect the APU video.
              Any ideas how to fix this? This is my Xorg.0.log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/10570880/

              Cheers!
              Try:

              Code:
              glxinfo | grep OpenGL
              Paste the output here and double check to make sure you don't have fglrx installed. I'm not familiar with Xorg logs at all, but I noticed this:

              Code:
              [    34.765] 	ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 18.0
              [    34.765] (==) Matched fglrx as autoconfigured driver 0
              [    34.765] (==) Matched ati as autoconfigured driver 1
              [    34.765] (==) Matched fglrx as autoconfigured driver 2
              [    34.765] (==) Matched ati as autoconfigured driver 3
              [    34.765] (==) Matched fglrx as autoconfigured driver 4
              [    34.765] (==) Matched ati as autoconfigured driver 5
              [    34.765] (==) Matched modesetting as autoconfigured driver 6
              [    34.765] (==) Matched fbdev as autoconfigured driver 7
              [    34.765] (==) Matched vesa as autoconfigured driver 8
              [    34.765] (==) Assigned the driver to the xf86ConfigLayout
              [    34.765] (II) LoadModule: "fglrx"
              [    34.766] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module fglrx
              [    34.766] (II) UnloadModule: "fglrx"
              [    34.766] (II) Unloading fglrx
              [    34.766] (EE) Failed to load module "fglrx" (module does not exist, 0)
              and I don't really know if that is normal or not.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by st33l View Post
                Hello there
                I'm trying to run dota 2 on my ancient pc which has an old Pentium dual core + 2gb ram + 4670hd gpu
                Been following this thread for a while
                So from what I understand, to get dota 2 working in my card, with gallium nine, I need
                Oibaf ppa
                And sarnex patched wine

                My doubts are with dri3 and llvm and also glamour

                Will the game have any perforMance improvements if I use dri3 patched ppa from sarnex, is it use full?
                As explained in the previous posts llvm is use full in newer gvn cards, so that seemingly leaves mine out, but I would like to know whether getting it would improve my fps (by opting for the padoka ppa) in ways that I might not know about

                Lastly regarding glamour and exa, I suppose exa would be enabled by default, will switching it to glamour help

                I have been searching a lot to get the maximum performance out of this card but the information out there is rather sparse
                So if any one has any points to help me out, that will be incredibly useful (I know the card is pretty old, but I'm just curious to know how far I can go with these limited specs)

                I'm using zorin os which is Ubuntu based but I'm gonna change it to xubuntu once I finish downloading (very slow Internet)
                I'd recommend taking a look at this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...ormance_tuning

                Whether you're using Arch or not, a lot of it still applies, and they're very thorough in their documentation.

                Glamor is a 2D acceleration method implemented through OpenGL, and it should work with graphic cards whose drivers are newer or equal to R300.
                You can find out what it is currently running (Glamor or EXA) by installing mesa-utils (if you don't have it already)

                Code:
                sudo apt-get install mesa-utils
                glxinfo | grep OpenGL

                Comment


                • Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                  Mesa only supports GL 3.3 in core profiles. You need to request a core profile to to get GL versions larger than 3.0.
                  I'm not a developer. Well, not any OpenGL-using application developer. Could you please explain to me what a core profile is, its significance and how to request one? Since the hardware and it's driver support 3.3, why doesn't Mesa support it in whatever the alternative to core profiles are?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by oxwivi View Post
                    I'm not a developer. Well, not any OpenGL-using application developer. Could you please explain to me what a core profile is, its significance and how to request one? Since the hardware and it's driver support 3.3, why doesn't Mesa support it in whatever the alternative to core profiles are?
                    Mesa does support 3.3, but only in core profiles. If the app wants >3.0, it has to ask for a core profile rather than a compatibility profile.
                    https://www.opengl.org/wiki/Core_And...ty_in_Contexts

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by oxwivi View Post
                      I'm not a developer. Well, not any OpenGL-using application developer. Could you please explain to me what a core profile is, its significance and how to request one? Since the hardware and it's driver support 3.3, why doesn't Mesa support it in whatever the alternative to core profiles are?
                      From Wikipedia:
                      OpenGL 3.0 introduced a deprecation mechanism to simplify future revisions of the API. Certain features, marked as deprecated, could be completely disabled by requesting a forward-compatible context from the windowing system. OpenGL 3.0 features could still be accessed alongside these deprecated features, however, by requesting a full context.

                      OpenGL 3.2 further built on the deprecation mechanisms introduced by OpenGL 3.0, by dividing the specification into a core profile and compatibility profile. Compatibility contexts include the previously-removed fixed-function APIs, equivalent to the ARB_compatibility extension released alongside OpenGL 3.1, while core contexts do not. OpenGL 3.2 also included an upgrade to GLSL version 1.50.
                      Beyond that I have no clue. There were some games that people were talking about in the forums where they had to specify an OpenGL profile so that graphics weren't broken. Borderlands 2, Metro, or Witcher 2 maybe?

                      EDIT: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...formance/page2
                      Last edited by profoundWHALE; 03-10-2015, 01:33 PM.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X