Mesa To Join Other Open-Source Projects With "Main" For Primary Code Branch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
    I presume you are aware that real estate agents are moving to eliminate the use of the term "master" (bedroom/bathroom) in their processes
    I am pretty sure anyone with ancestry involved in the slave trade would rather estate agents reduced their absurd "finders fee" instead XD

Comment

Originally posted by yurikoles View Post
      It seems like BB with The Party will soon establish Minitrue, which will friendly rectify our oldthink and oldspeak to be goodthinkwise and unperson all masters and slaves. Master of Science will become Plusbachelor of Sciense, master blacksmith will become plusblacksmith and this will be doubleplusgood.
      Nah, only primitive tribalism is required of the proles.
      Methinks this post might be attributed to an unperson though. That's not an Orthodox way to write "plusdenysmith".
      Last edited by krOoze; 08 August 2020, 07:18 PM.

Comment

The real slaves are in the heads of the people going along with this...

..and, like, the actual slaves in Libya right now, who probably could not give a rat's ass what word you use to identify your git branch, and worry more about dying a horrible painful death entirely of their captors' design.

The kinds of people focused on accepting this psychotic language policing nonsense in the hope of being left alone... I wonder if they even know about the Libyan slave trade.
        Last edited by microcode; 08 August 2020, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post

Ah, I see. So you hopefully have a "slave" branch as well - because otherwise the master branch doesn't make much sense either. I frequently have projects with dev or stable branches - "master" never made too much sense, but every repo has (or had) one. "Main" in this context is a lot more meaningful.
          If you are ESL I could sorta understand getting that impression, but this is not how the word "master" works in English.

Comment

Code:
            $ git branch -m master main
            $ git config --local push.default upstream
            There you are offended snowflakes, now let everyone else shut up and hack.

(This also works in reverse if a project updates their default branch name and you don't want to have to update your scripts)
            Last edited by archsway; 09 August 2020, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ElmerFudd View Post
              Please, this political nonsense has to stop now.
              I guess it must feel like the whole universe is trolling you. I hope you get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Syretia View Post
                I suggest you look up the definition of master.

• n: an original creation (i.e., an audio recording) from which copies can be made

Seems pretty fitting.
                Exactly why this doesn't fit to git. Master copy is very static source for other copies and they don't influence master (one way road). In (D)VCS central branch is rewritten from others all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  OK, instead of wasting time on this, what about you fix the VA-API AMD encode hang?

What about you fix the rest of the bugs?

This is why open-source is dying out. Software is buggy, yet let's waste time "fixing" our community first (in the wrong way).
                  This isn't something which needs a lot of time. Just switching from one branch to other is quite easy.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                    I agree, the politization of open source software engineering is doing more harm than good.
                    On contrary this moves away from politicization. There is group A which doesn't see any political meaning in git's `master` and group B which sees a political meaning in git's `master`. With `main` both groups don't see any political meaning. And again this very simple change, it's just branch name.

Comment

Originally posted by mykolak View Post

On contrary this moves away from politicization. There is group A which doesn't see any political meaning in git's `master` and group B which sees a political meaning in git's `master`. With `main` both groups don't see any political meaning. And again this very simple change, it's just branch name.
                      You forget C:

Group that doesn't see any political meaning in gits "master" but just finds it a bad name for the main development branch (or whatever purpose they want to use it for).
                      Last edited by tomas; 09 August 2020, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X